iTunes library problem

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by ReformatPlanet, Jan 7, 2009.

1. ReformatPlanet

ReformatPlanet Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    I recently had to re-install my OS. My iTunes library was kept on an external drive, so i was able to re-import all my music, but i can't find my apps anywhere. iTunes does not seem to be giving me an option to re-download EVERYTHING i use to have at once, and the idea of going through my purchase history and individually downloading my hundreds of apps again is daunting.

iTunes also sees my phone as being from another system and wants to wipe it out when i try to sync. This all seems like a tremendous pain in the ass, am i missing something here?

2. Did you back up all of your iTunes folder, including the Mobile Applications folder within it?

3. ReformatPlanet

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    It's not in there. It must not have been saving to my external drive. I thought after i changed the source for the itunes folder it would have sent everything to the same place, but apparently not. My mobile apps must have been on the internal drive.

4. Blimey. Then if that's the case, you haven't backed up your apps. So I'm sorry to say you may have to download them again.

You could always try asking on the Apple support forum.

5. ReformatPlanet

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    Indeed. Guess it's about time for me to pick my favorites. :mad:

6. max rimstain

max rimstain Member

Dec 30, 2008
    #6 max rimstain, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
    sorry to inform you dude, but even though your iTunes library was kept on you external hard drive, iPhone applications are still stored on your root drive i.e. c: for windows or macintosh HD - dunno what you got.

I don't really know why but it is.

Drop Apple an email through iTunes, best way would be to go into your iTunes account and find purchase history select one of the applications and Report a Problem, let them know whats happened and they should let you re-download what youve lost, I know this because they let me re-download the entire season 4 of lost because my hard drive started acting up and I couldnt back it up in time before i totally failed!!

they should be able to post all your purchases to your account so everything you've bought will be downloaded at the same time.

Hope this helps!!

7. He can do that anyway with apps. You can re-download an app as many times as you like for no extra cost.

8. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Yeah, it's time consuming, but as long as you go through all the apps you own and re-download them through the app store under the same account it should say "You have already purchased this application, this update will be free" or something like that. Sorry for your troubles mate

9. ReformatPlanet

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    I submitted a report to them about it, see what they say before i start going through all the apps again. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.