iTunes is a terrible program

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Paulio, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    I just lost all my f-ing progress in BIA because of iTunes!
    It deleted it because something else screwed up whilst trying to download HoS and when syncing, it supposedly backed all my apps up then proceeded to delete them all (Luckily I cancelled..) so now I have to do all these missions again. Why can't Apple make good software to go with their awesome iPod range? iTunes is heavy on CPU, bad with syncing and a complete bitch as it's screwed me over AGAIN! Why can't they sort these problems out? I am so pissed off right now..

2. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    #2 don_k, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
    Can we move 'Mobile Applications' folder?

*deleted (sorry wrong thread)

3. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Ah, great topic. So often I've lost my iTunes library because it got corrupted. (Probably because it couldn't startup properly on my Vista machine after using it for a while, so part of the blame goes to Windows Vista)
    Luckily I found out that sometimes simply replacing the new empty library file with the old, corrupted one, fixes it all. But not every time, and it's really annoying to rebuild your iTunes library every once in a while. Especially when you're subscribed to ~30 podcasts and those subscriptions are removed as well, which leaves you with no way to quickly recover them (except for those that still had new episodes on your machine).

I hope you don't feel like I'm hijacking your thread, I'm simply sharing your frustration.

(Btw - why do I have to SLOWLY scroll through a list with all my 250+ applications to enable/disable an application from syncing? Why does it resync podcast episodes to my iPod Touch if I remove them with only a few seconds of the ending music left?)

4. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    I've never had a problem with iTunes. But I am on a Mac, so maybe that's why?

5. evanmav

evanmav Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2008
    itunes on windows is horrible. its laggy and slow as heck! it literally takes 2 minutes for my itunes just to open, and i only have 400 songs in my itunes. when i scroll down my library it wont scroll and then 5 seconds later it will without me even touching anything. Apple has to fix it, im sure they could if they wanted to

6. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    I think it's a good enough for them to even porting iTunes to Windows. So we can't complain much about it.

7. Sambo110

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    Use a Microsoft program on the Mac, they are the worst! Crappy interface, crappy features and they just plain suck.

8. Maeks

Maeks Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I've never had a problem as serious as the above posts with iTunes. I don't particularly like it, but I don't have a choice do I? My inly real complaint is that unlike other players, you can't just click on an artist and listen to JUST them (on random, say) you have to go and make a playlist of the artist, etc. Unless they changed that with recent releases, I haven't really explored all the abilities of iTunes 8 since I upgraded from 6 a couple months ago.

It does load slow, but I've accepted that.

9. Sambo110

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    ^Have it as grid view, and click on the album, and it will play the album. Pretty sure you could have it sorted by artist, and click on the artist to just play their songs.

10. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    iTunes is just awful

Until I got my iPhone, I'd never used iTunes before! It's just awful. It's sooo slow. I suspect it is because I am using a PC and not a Mac, but I don't have "speed" problems with other programs that I use. It often takes several minutes to open. And it's super slow when trying to view the apps or my music. I've been really surprised by how much of a dog it is! Not what I expected at all. Of course I don't have any choice but to use it. So I am hoping that Apple will improve it, especially the app section.

11. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    Hey folks,

No flames please: but why don't you consider (eventually) buying a Mac to go along with your iPhone or iPod Touch? I think you will find yourself much happier having done so.

Peace! :)

12. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Because in my everydayworld, there are still sooo many more people using Windows machines, and it's much easier and cheaper for me to use (and keep using) a Windows machine. :)

13. Sambo110

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    But Macs are 100x better (awaits flaming).

14. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    Try foobar2k instead. I only use iTunes to sync my iPod Touch.

15. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    Having said that, being a Windows user for 10 years make me kinda hard to switch to a new OS.

16. Chumbake

Chumbake Well-Known Member

There's no reason, not to get a mac anymore. You can run OSX or Windows on it.

If someone has been using a Zune for many years and wouldn't switch to a Touch because they weren't used to it. I'd have to just say. "It's totally worth it."

17. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Maybe so, but this reminds me of a Netzero dialup commercial, that I keep seeing. You pick speed with broadband, or save money with dialup. Well, do you really think, and I'm sure that some people are dumb enough to listen. I'll keep my 22 mbps broadband thanks.

That didn't come out right, but regardless, Get a Mac. It will make you feel better every morning with 100% certainty that there won't be a BSOD or a virus hit. Its better for you. Apple hit 10% share recently. And about .001% where I'm at.

18. AppStoreGamer

AppStoreGamer Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    wow....this thread has "get a mac" written all over it.....seriously, say good-bye to Bill and hey to Steve!

19. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

YES. Do Get a Mac. Mac OS X ftw.

20. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    I have both. Tho they are now both outdated. I'm kind of semi waiting for the next iMac. Any idea how long? Time to save :p.

You guys are right tho, it's vistas fault. Piece of crap..