iPad iTunes gift cards on ebay

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by crunc, Oct 2, 2008.

1. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Yesterday I purchased via buy-it-now on ebay an iTunes gift card worth $100 for $50. In addition, with the Live search cashback program I'm going to get 30% back, so in the end it will cost me $35 for $100 credit (and yes, the code worked fine). Now, Microsoft's desperate live cashback program I can totally understand: they have deep pockets and want to catch up to Google and so are handing out cash, but how in the world does someone on ebay sell a $100 iTunes gift card for $50 and make a profit? Somebody tell me that this is just a matter of exchange rates (the seller was in another country) working out to my benefit. Please!

2. Why don't you answer my question instead- what the hell has this post got to do with iPhone/Touch games???
    Administrators should remove it from the forum.

3. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    nice find dude! I see myself ebaying some itunes cash real soon....

4. cyberdude

cyberdude New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    So how did you hook up the live cash back to the ebay purchase?

5. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Admittedly it's an indirect relationship, but it is related. Obviously I bought an iTunes cards to pay for iPod touch games from the AppStore - to pay for my addiction! If you pay $35 for $100 worth of credit, that sure cuts down the cost of the games quite a bit. I'm even thinking - shudder - of forking out the "$9.99" for Ms. Pac-Man now. That's $3.50 to me. That seems a lot more reasonable! Of course, I still hold out hope that they'll drop the price, so I'll probably hold off for a while anyway.

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Just do a search at live.com and then see if there is a listing near the top that says "You may get 30% off with PayPal" with www.ebaycom showing. Usually putting in "cheap wii" works. Click it. Now you'll be at ebay and you can search for anything there. It doesn't have to be related to what you search for on live.com. Note that there will be no mention of cashback until you click on a buy now button for an item. Buy the item with buy it now and pay with paypal and then wait a while and you'll get a message on ebay saying you've gotten cashback. Read it and do what it says.

7. mc511

mc511 Member

Sep 28, 2008
    I just bought itunes money the other day at bestbuy. I should try it here.

8. BATTLE BORN

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    I just used your tip and got a $200 card for $49!
    ($70 buy it now, W/ $21 cash back)
    code was promptly e-mailed to me, and seems to work just fine!

definitely overkill... but I'm a sucker for a good deal.

Thanks again crunc!

9. rixm

rixm Active Member

Oct 3, 2008
    #9 rixm, Oct 3, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  10. BATTLE BORN

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    well all I can do now is hope I don't get screwed. I guess we'll see

11. rixm

rixm Active Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Wish you well.

Please post back in a month or 2 (or in the event anything happens on this) It would be good to know what the truth about these cards is one way or the other.

Rich

12. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I hope I'm OK too. If my account ever gets closed I'll report back. I hope they at least will let me keep the apps I've purchased, at least the ones before this gift card.

13. decon

decon Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Crap, I just bought a $200 also for $105 and $31 back from live.com.

The code worked, hope my account doesn't get disabled.

14. BATTLE BORN

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    good luck dude, me and crunc are hoping along with you.
    I would imagine that apple will be pretty understanding if anything does happen. from a bit of investigation, it seems this has been going on for some time, but they still don't have any kind of warning.
    (I can buy discounted x-box live cards from amazon, we really had no reason to believe these could be scammers. maybe a little naive... but it seemed legit)

and I've also read posts from legitimate card sellers losing money to scammers through paypal's loopholes.

as unsuspecting end-users, they should at least let us keep our previous purchases. we're clearly not the first people to be duped like this, I don't imagine that they would totally take it out on us and erase everything.

but let's just keep hoping, and enjoy it in the meantime.
    who knows.... I've even read where some people buy discounted cards regularly with no problems... only time will tell for us.

15. decon

decon Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Yeah we'll just have to hope. Fortunately the guy I got it from had 126 positive 100% feedback.

16. rixm

rixm Active Member

Oct 3, 2008
    So did anyone from the thread ever get contacted regarding these cards? Any trouble from Apple or your CC company? (I hope not, but it would be good to know)

Thanks

Rich

17. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    I bought an iTunes card on ebay months ago. It was a $30 card for $15. The code worked fine, my account is fine, but the seller is no longer on ebay. He had a ton of feedback and it was all positive so I took the chance. It was like 2 minutes to get the code. I won, paid via paypal, and it was in my email soon after.

Do I think they cracked the codes somehow, yes. Otherwise the codes were most likely gotten in some shady way.

18. Anorym

Anorym Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Vancouver BC
    gift card to buy apps?

did something changed recently because about a month ago i wanted to buy a gift card to buy some apps and when i went to apple store they told me i wouldnt be able to use itune card to buy apps can someone just let me know or maybe its because i'm in canada and billing is working differently here?

19. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    you can buy apps with a giftcard. Redeem the code click buy. Nice and easy. Works in all countries (it's the same program with different stores, same layout). No idea why you would have been told otherwise??

Someone from Canada confirm this.

20. h1976

h1976 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Hi guys just want to share my experience with you, since I live overseas my only way of getting into iTunes is by these gift cards, apple wont even accept paypal that doesnt have a US address which is a bummer.

So yes, I have bought over 200 dollars worth of cards on ebay over 5 transactions. 4 I bought at lower, but not ridiculous prices, 50 bux for 48, 100 for 90 etc. They were fine.
    1 I tried the 100 bucks for 65, code worked fine of course... until a week later Apple disabled my account, reason; credit card used to purchase my redeemed code was fraudulent.
    It took me 2 weeks to get my account back on, the first tier customer rep refused to reopen my account, it took some begging and proof how many apple products I got that is linked to my account, macbooks, mac mini, 2 iphones, 2 ipods, luckily I registered all of them, then finally they relent and reopen my account but wiped all my credits.
    Luckily paypal refunded my money, but I still lost about 10 bucks from the exchange rate loss from my credit card, coupled with the hassle of having a blocked account, Id say its not worth it.

Moral of the story of course, is; if its too good to be true, it probably is.
    be careful with ebay, you can have a power seller with american location and american sounding name, but your paypal tells you that you are sending money to some vietnamese or chinese name, be very suspicious.