Itunes Accounts and sharing...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by nessie13, Nov 7, 2010.

1. nessie13

nessie13 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Toronto, Canada
    I have an ipod touch that is loaded with games that my kids play. My daughter will be getting her own ipod touch for Christmas and I would like to transfer the $200's worth of games to her unit.

I understand that the only way to do this is to authorize her computer on my itunes account, my question is...

Is there anyway that i can allow her to take her apps from the library and restrict her from using my account to download further apps ( I worry that she may share my account info with a close friend and her friend shares it etc)?

And could her friends use my itunes info and set up their computers without my knowledge?

What I would like to do is give her her apps, then have her get her own account, would she be able to add the apps to her new account if she backs them up on cd?

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance

2. sk47z

sk47z Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    #2 sk47z, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
    once u authorize her computer with ur itune acc she can sync the apps to her device provided u already download the app u wanted her to have to her computer using your account. as long as u dun give her the username and password she cant do anything with your account. but oso she wont be able to update the apps unless u log in with your username n password on her computer. so there's no need to worry on her getting future apps with your account as she cant cos she'll be request to log in in order to do so. but it's possible to share the esixting game with her close fren by sync her friends device to her computer but then dun need to worry on using your account part cos it had nth to do with it

3. nessie13

Jul 28, 2010
    Toronto, Canada
    #3 nessie13, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
    Thanks, this will work, but will she still be able to set up her own itunes account for future purchases and not lose the games that I have bought her already?

Is there anyway to set up the two accounts on her computer, ( one being mine without my login info and one being hers alone) to still keep the games that i bought her?

4. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Or if you really want, Settings > General > Restrictions

5. nessie13

Jul 28, 2010
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks for the reply.

I don't want to prevent her from downloading future apps that she will be paying for, on the same token, I just don't want her to lose what I previously bought her.

I am trying to have her "fend for herself" and use her pocket money for apps , music etc

An account in her own name would b the best option from the future.

6. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Yea I get what you mean. I wonder if home sharing can be enabled for apps? That way she can keep the apps registered under your account, plus be able to use her own account without losing apps from either account. I thought it was possible, not 100%.

7. angelzz

angelzz Member

Oct 20, 2010
    it is possible :)
    i have 2 itune account in my com being one is mine n one is my sis.
    we share our games. but ofcos buy the game we want form our own account.
    as long as the apps in download n the computer is authorize then your game will be there allowing her to sync. and creating her own account will let her get her own apps. but when u open the itune app. both urs n hers will be there. jus that she had no access to update them but allow to sync to her device unless u log in.

8. angelzz

angelzz Member

Oct 20, 2010
    add on: so once in awhile maybe u can log in using her com to update the apps bought form ur account. and oso gently reminder. i was told that after u bought an app. it's only allow a download of 5 times only. not sure if it's true cos never tried download more than 5 before.
    so in your case u've purchase it so i assume it being donloaded either to your computer/ device. so now have to re download to ya daughters computer which is twice.

or else u'll have to sync ya device to her computer to transfer it :) hope it helps

9. nessie13

Jul 28, 2010
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks everyone for all your help..I will keep a copy of this until Christmas, then I will follow your instructions. I hated the thought of losing all those apps.. and I will be happy to log in and update her aps as needed.

It will be nice for me to get them off my ipod and free up some space for my games :) And my Visa will appreciate my daughter getting her own acount, lol

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The only problem with having games from two accounts on your iPhone/iPod is you need to sign into each account separately to download the updates. It gets tedious quickly.