iTunes 10 - easy organising

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by lord-sam, Sep 15, 2010.

1. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Well, Apple have gone and made app organisation from hard to near impossible!

There is no longer search in the sync app tab, and still no multiple move into folder.

Is there a way I can order my 300 apps into folders quickly and hassle free using either iTunes or a 3rd party program for windows?

2. Yeah, I hate that they removed the search. Why the hell would they do that? The single most useful feature of the app tab when you've got more than a thousand apps to sift through. Now there are just sort options which are all but useless. Honestly, I have half a mind to think Apple is deliberately trying to make iOS easier to use and iTunes harder. Why? I have no idea, ask Steve's Reality Distortion Field.

3. jyhjyh

jyhjyh Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Denmark
    No problem :)
    You can use the Search in the upper right corner.

4. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

That is one app I'm surprised noone made yet.

One way I know of is to actually edit the plist on the idevice. I did that a few times to alphabetize my apps. The file is /var/mobile/Library/SpringBoard/IconState.plist, and it's an XML-format list of your apps, including dock and folders.

5. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    um no
    not in the sync window

6. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Yes, you can still search. I've been doing that no problem. The upper right corner search box is the one to use.

7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Yeah, this works. It really threw me at first (especially since that search usually didn't do anything when looking at your device before!)

8. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    oh!
    I was wrong. nvm me

9. Well ... yeah ... if you want to do it the old way. Tssh.

I totally knew that. Yeah.

10. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I had the same problem at first haha. I wish they had put in some notification of that change.

I wish iTunes had folders for apps.

11. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Holy crap ORGANising?

It's Organizing.

12. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    Perhaps not across the pond, silly boy.

13. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    #13 acrotran, Sep 16, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
    This is an answer to the original question - how to organize 300 apps.
    In iTunes go to Edit > Devices, click on "prevent iPod from syncing automatically".
    On the Apps page (after your device is connected), uncheck "automatically Sync new apps". Check Sync Apps.
    Now, on the right, click on one of the pages (say page 2). Now check one of your apps to be synced. It will appear on page 2. Now drag it into a folder. After you organize a few apps, do a sync - I usually click over to the iTunes store.
    Keep doing this and all your apps will be organized.
    I hope this makes sense.
    The reason I disable automatic syncing is because I download a lot of free apps, and I don't necessarily want to load them onto the iPod right away, because I have a ton of paid apps that I want to play with first.