It's time I shared this, what happened to my app...Apple?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Xammond, Jun 2, 2015.

1. 1stSPIN

1stSPIN Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    I don't think this has anything to do with your views as to whether this is a clone and therefore not worth of getting a business like response from Apple. This person put a lot of time into the game and came here for some help. If you have the knowledge and then if you have in your heart to help someone then do it. Don't use me as an excuse to go out of your way to hit him one more time.

2. Xammond

Xammond Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    It's fine 1stSPIN, these kids can't see the wood through the trees.

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

If you respond to reality checks like this, nothing you ever do will be successful. You're literally dismissing a thread full of reality-based criticism with "damn kids" instead of actually considering that maybe a mediocre app wasn't your golden ticket and its icon had little/nothing to do with its absolute failure.

But, hey, if your head is comfortable buried in all that sand don't let me interrupt you, just don't bother asking for feedback either.

4. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    It may be time to start the medication again. The Spanish people I know are full of joy. I still remember the little plaque I had at home - Drink brother life is short. Get out there and have some tapas and that great Spanish beer. The way you are going your career as an inspirational speaker may be over unless you start to lighten up.

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I'm actually speaking at AltConf this coming Tuesday, plan on providing similar reality checks.

6. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Maybe they don't with some other random developer on the internet. However my experience with indie devs is they are giving, open and interested. I regularly go to events and everyone says Hi and talks about the little things/got ya's in development. I have connected some of these devs with appropriate people and if I think an app is cool I tweet about it.

To be honest I have even found the big companies to be responsive. For example I am just a little indie dev and Unity has visited me multiple times as has epic. Nintendo have been welcoming (although they still can't figure out time differences). Even someone from riot took time out of his day to come and talk to me about league of legends educational opportunities.

When it comes to Apple they run the marketplace. It is actually a very easy platform to develop for and they have made getting your product out there pretty easy. It is very hard to feel much passion for a problem that is years old now the entire platform has changed so significantly. The rejection process from Apple while frustrating is actually one of the best things about the platform from a consumer point of view. At least most of the apps work, I actually haven't downloaded an app that doesn't work (while I have had plenty on android which don't/barely work). You aren't setup for iOS development which makes rejections hit you harder. A number of my apps have been rejected and I was able to fix them easily and resubmit and get approved.

I think criticism from forums is great because people speak closer to the truth. Every person that sees my apps in person says they are great because it a human thing to want to say nice things. Even I can see some obvious flaws in some of my apps so I always remember that one person saying my app is good doesn't mean it is good. One person saying it is bad also doesn't mean it is bad but certainly shouldn't be ignored.

I do agree with the general consensus I don't believe you had a significant money spinner that was sunk, not to say you couldn't of been more successful but it was never going to have wide appeal.

7. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    Nicely put

8. Xammond

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    I'm not sure why you read my initial question this way, I have been focused on why the album art was missing and you have been voicing a subjective view on the app content. Maybe that's why you think I'm not listening? It's terrible that things have turned out like this.

9. Xammond

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    ...Also would you care to elaborate on that last part (highlighted in bold), I would like to think at best, that on a personal level you decided to not touch my apps with a bargepole (either)...a long time ago. But when read carefully there's a far more unwelcoming message in there? Why not just go ahead and press the button Eli, you know you want to.

10. Xammond

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    Thanks James, actually I agree way more than the feedback on the actual app content...I'm my worst critic and have had several years to understand exactly how a V2 would be. But I never got the chance to gracefully make that one, I wanted to put this right and asked where my apology went...but was misunderstood plus also fell in to a fight.

I agree that Apple are otherwise excellent for the indie. It is a shame that all shapes and sizes of person are not accepted equally though, it makes my job harder because I get enough of that walking down the street.

I can understand how for the majority of people things are sweet.

11. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    #51 1stSPIN, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    Sorry Eli's quote above was missing.

I have no problem with your Don Rickles type comments and hope you keep on do it. It adds flare to the forum but sometimes you got to show your good side. Remember we are in this to have some fun and give other some fun. The guys and galls here invest a lot of their time, money and most important of all, expose us to their dreams and that alone deserves a lot of credit. Sure we all need to deal with reality but creative people are dreamers and we need them to keep on dreaming.

12. Xammond

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    Just popped in to change avatar and to ensure any future posters that I shall be away now until my new game is done and it is converted to iOS. I wanted to hang out but tha management don't like my dress code. Cya all on the other side, happy game dev =]

13. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    #53 1stSPIN, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    If your next game has the feel of your avatar you could have a winner. Good luck

Xammond, when you get your new game is finished contact me. Now that my programer is putting in inapp ads to promote our new games I will be happy to give you a spot for a few days on my best app to hopefully get you a few more upload. Its free with no strings or conditions attached. Take care. The dress code is come as your are.

14. Xammond

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    Thanks 1stSPIN, yeah the new game is really coming along - I've refactored several times now, though as the years go by the world is such a contrast since my last release. It's unlikely that the Apple acount will get renewed this year though it's happened before so no biggy.

I just made the 'game' mentioned in this thread free (100%), but seeing just 17 downloads yesterday ensures that I'm only interested in spectating the other developers here. The new game runs on Windows desktop (avoided their store too), I can only be grateful that I made this choice and was able to continue developing offline for the last 50 days!

Good luck to everyone involved in mobile, along with the journalists struggling to survive.

15. ALB

ALB Member

Jun 11, 2015
    I wonder if all this guy was looking for was another developer to share a story of an unexpected bug or weird icon problem that happened to them when they released their first game? You know, to feel like he wasn't alone?

To blame the temporary hue of a cluster of pixels for ruining a career and multiple lives is over the top, for sure. And I'm PRETTY sure that everyone is in agreement that his app was not going to make him a millionaire, icon mishap or not, but GEEZ, Eli, no need to rub salt in his wounds. Didn't your mom ever tell you, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all?"

Like others have said: stuff happens. You can't control what happens to you. Only how you react to it. That's my "cat poster" inspirational advice. Letting something like this define the course of your life is sad. And harboring all of this hate toward a corporate entity is unhealthy and unproductive. Let it go and move on!

16. Xammond

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    I don't think anyone is going to further comment on this. I didn't/don't qualify for the 'cool club', and as already said nobody is going to even raise a hand against the boss. It's ironic being accused of losing touch with reality from a mega-serial poster! (and some)

Blame: My point did come across too strongly. It was the knock-on effect of falling out with the musician (my brother) that started a series of unlikely incidents. I've worked every day to put things right, yet still been made homeless 3 times this year alone. And that was because I just didn't have the extra 10 or 20 a week to cover a home. A civil servant after turning me down said "if you want help then go on job-seekers allowance". My reply was is that what you say to all businesses? They said "there's nothing left for you", meaning social housing.

So yeah anyway, I came here looking for other developers like you say. I figured if I could find a similar case then like a court of law, it could be referred to, to find out what could be done. Instead, I am treated as an extreme minority and ignored.

Sure stuff happens, and sure enough I bounced back with another game - which was too little too late. Even so, I went on even now doing what I love, regardless of haters' comments designed to push buttons. Again, I didn't let it decide the course of my life. I am expected to take it like water off a duck's back - which is fine now, years later - but at the time it was unbelievable how Apple blatently ignored their borked store effecting my chart ranking in a detrimental way.

Other posters accuse me of being a cloner! Yeah whatever dudes, checkout the only other sand-frame app (Dave Blockheads' Sand Pictures). At the end of development we met on Twitter where he posted "Looks like this is the competition!". So I ask, who was I cloning with what was a unique use of the new iPad 1? Maybe I should've went on to make a 2D Minecraft instead? Then I could've joined Eli's pompous dick club :)