It's time I shared this, what happened to my app...Apple?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Xammond, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Fretz

Fretz Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Via con dios

2. Columbo

Columbo Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Unfortunately, stuff like this happens all the time. Any experienced developer on any platform will have ran into many situations where a bug or mistake by the platform holder adversely affects them.

Case in point, every time there's an iOS revision (minor or major), you need to be on the alert for new glitches and be prepared to release a fixed build in case of bugs (usually they're stuff you have done wrong that you no longer get away with, but often enough it's a bug/accidental change at Apple/Google's end).

So your icon didn't work properly and you had to fix it with an update? Totally par for the course, and tbh I'd suspect that there's at least a 50% chance that it went wrong because you didn't follow some obscure requirement buried in the documentation about the required png dimensions/file-size/bit-depth/format, etc, and that when it did work, it was only working by luck.

I think you need to be able to take setbacks like this in your stride, and let them go.

3. Xammond

Xammond Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    STFU fool

4. Xammond

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    The worse part was how people pretend indies stick together...until it comes down to it and then they're mostly all brown-nosing Apple and the likes.

Thanks I just develop either way, money is apparently a side-effect too :)

5. Xammond

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    Yes indeed. There is a chance though that I didn't survive, went to hell and here it is winding me up.

6. Xammond

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    So when you register an app on TAS there is a requirement of an icon. So you can't just reserve an app name and go finish up the final few miles knowing it is ok to promote without someone shadey taking the name first...
    So I did that, I reserved my app name. But the icon was a placeholder.
    Upon uploading the final build I sorted the icon with the final draught, and it was of course included in the .ipa
    It's not exactly easy to screw up a 512x512x24bit png file. I mean seriously that does not happen by a programmer, ever!

Oh I've let go, I can't even work on the iOS version anymore because my licences will time out and I see no way of renewing either one of them. Apple have thrown me away, they can suck up the bucks from their cloners.

7. 1stSPIN

1stSPIN Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    Just read a bit. Don't get discouraged, just move forward. It is the only way to win in this and other businesses

8. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    That is unfair, apps don't fail just because they are bad. I would say that 98% of good apps, apps that can make a reasonable return fail because the method used by Apple, Google and if there are some others don't present all apps on an equal footing when they are launched and there is an unimaginable HUGE advantage that companies with a former hit have to internally promote their equally good apps to download levels that have real advantages to be seen by rising the most popular game ladder which if I am not mistaken are determined by the number of downloads, comments, rating you get which a game coming out of the box cannot match. That life in the big city and something as a developer you have to live with and work to one day get a bit of recognition which will help you to become a profitable, self sustaining company. If you work it it long enough things will balance out but you got to be prepared to have you face put into the mud and stand up and say is that all you got?

9. Xammond

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    Now that the shackles are off I'll take on anything, and anyone if they want a cheap thrill disrespecting my efforts. I think the reader doesn't get me and sometimes can not see a different layer of a situation.

10. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    It's good to learn that early that you are on your own. Get friendly with some people in your city who are in the same game business and sit down and chat over a beer or 2. You are still on your own but people face to face respond to you in a real way not like on line where people can become less than and seem to feel it is ok. If....... and that is a big impossible IF they stuck together as a group they have real power but on their own they are divided. That is why "Divide and Concur" is true. So back to the real world. You are on your own so you have to build strength within yourself, the more knocks you get the tougher you get. Now here is the real test, once you make it how many people will you help to get their feet on the ground? Enough preaching..

11. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Indies do stick together, I know of several incredible indie developer groups that help each other with feedback, beta testing, cross promotion, and all that. The thing that makes these groups thrive is the ability to take and receive feedback. Admission into these groups is typically on an invite basis when you've either made something cool or otherwise have presented yourself as a cool guy that other people would want feedback from. Currently, you've done neither, and instead have a really strange attitude about how everyone owes you something for your own failures. It's supremely puzzling, but I can't say I'm very surprised by how poorly your efforts on the App Store have gone if this is how you look at things.

12. Xammond

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    Eli that's kind of putting words in to my mouth. Since when have I said "everyone owes me"? I say Apple owe me an apoplogy.

If indies stick together then how come they aren't all up in arms aboout the outrage? You are saying it's not because they are too pussfoot to stand up for what is right but because people like you think they're big by pointing out an imperfection and acting as if that's what the whole person is. Ok well I admire your opinion because I admire imperfections, each to their own.

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

No one is up in arms about this "outrage" because it's a non-noteworthy developer claiming a problem on a non-noteworthy app that no one else is experiencing which may entirely have been a mistake you made yourself considering absolutely no one else has reported similar issues that I've seen and following this sort of thing is my full time job.

For this to be an outrage, you need to make yourself or your project noteworthy first. When you're peddling an app with 8 sales, no one cares. It's kind of like how when you decide to go to the grocery store in your stained and slept in pajamas, no one looks twice. When Jessica Simpson does it, it makes the front page of TMZ. That's not because life isn't fair, or your pajamas aren't equally outrageous, it's because no one cares as the story isn't the pajamas, the story is Jessica Simpson.

14. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    in arms about what outrage?

15. Speaker

Speaker Member

Jul 31, 2014
    That guy Eli is such a sad person, laughing at other people misfortunes and telling them how badly they suck. :(

Cheer up, Xammond, worse things can happen.

16. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    If there is some muscle here can anyone help this guy clear up his problem. Unfortunate I don't have any ins with Apple but maybe some in TA or one of the members can.

17. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    Ok your convinced me your cool, now help the tender foot if you can. That is what I call sticking together. Good deed are normally rewarded and you know what is better than that it feels good.

18. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Without sticking up for 'da boss' if this was a well known indie title and something bad happened then fair enough

But for an app which probably didnt have many downloads and no one really knows about i dont think its worth the hassle at all

Cant you just clone it and release it calling it v2 ? ;)

19. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    Let me understand you, you are with the money and go with the money, the BIG games. The little developers, small game, don't count? I thought that fair doesn't become more fair, fair is just fair.

20. Fretz

Fretz Member

Oct 22, 2014
    The app review even 4 years ago sounded infinitely bored with bubble sand.

"This app is not for everyone. If you are not really a “Zen” person, you may not find a lot of value in the features. However, if you enjoy the many other Zen applications in the iTunes market, this would be worth checking out. "

Well, you got me to check it out by complaining that 4 years ago your icon changed. It was a boring clone of a flooded idea 4 years ago, and not much has changed.

I'm glad 1stSpin is here backing you, makes it easier to see who the shameless app cloners are when you all band together.