It's like losing a part of me...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by NJPodder, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Not as bad as my story.

My one year (or so I thought) iPod Touch 1G home button got stuck randomly last Monday. I went to the nearest app store (an hour away in Tampa) thinking I would have to buy a new one. I get there and it turns out I was on the last day of my warranty. I got a new one on Wednesday (replacement they had to bring in), bought a new warranty, brought it home and viola! Good as new!

Happy Ending, eh?

Wrong.

A day later the top of the screen stops working. I take another hour trip to the Apple store and luckily they have a replacement on hand from the earlier shipment that mine was in. I take it and bring it home. Upload it and everything is fine.

Another Happy Ending, eh?

Wrong.

Sunday my iPod randomly stopped connecting to my router (Palm Pilot and friend's iPod Touch 2G could connect). I called Apple Geniuses and they told me the antena is a dud and I have to get a new one, so they are shipping me a box (I am NOT going to the Apple Store again!).

And now I am waiting for the box.

2. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    That's what happened to my iPod when I plugged it in after having it go for a spin in the washer :p A red battery popped up. It did charge immediately, though. Mine was left drying for 10 days, however, while I was away for spring break. Let it dry a little. If juice goes through it while there's still water inside, it'll short-circuit.

3. NJPodder

NJPodder Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Update

So, yesterday morning, I got the apple logo on occasion, and the full screen image of the battery, but no matter how long I left it pluggedin, that battery icon never filled, and unplugging the phone would immediately shut off the screen. No juice from the battery at all. Late last night, I plugged it in to the computer one last time, only to get the scanner/camera wizard show up on the screen of my computer. This meant the phone was booting. But, it kept rebooting itself for about 15 minutes until... Finally, the phone boots up and stays on.

The touchscreen works flawlessly. All buttons are working fine. Behind the touchscreen, I can see the moisture spots, which keep getting smaller. There are very visible diagonal lines accross the whole screen, but as I have read from others, these should go away as everything dries out.

All is not great news. The battery icon, while it shows as charging, still will not hold a charge. I left it plugged in all night, and it never went above teh little red 10% remaining area. Today, same thing. But, o nthe bright side, I can now remove the phone from the power source, and it holds a charge for a while. I know it is very possible that the battery is totally fried at this point and may never work again, but I refuse to give up hope. I'll jsut keep the phone off until it dries out a bit more, and cross my fingers.

4. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    It's possible that you're battery is broken (right word?). If you leave something to charge for too long, the battery will lose its life. I don't know if that helps at all.:(:)