It's like losing a part of me...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by NJPodder, Apr 6, 2009.

1. NJPodder

NJPodder Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Yesterday morning, I was at the beach and helping out my sister and her husband who have 9 month old triplets. We were taking them to the swimming pool for their first ever romp into the pool. (With three babies, you need all the help you can get). I decided I was going to take a few snapshots of them while I was down there and so I threw my 1st gen iPhone into my bathing suit pocket, grabbed a baby, and went down with them (Can you see where this is going yet?) Well, I jumped in with the little one and marveled at her excitement over this new "giant bathtub" thing for about two minutes or so before realizing that lump in my pocket was not supposed to be there. I quickly pulled out the phone, threw it on the side of the pool, and took it out of the Otterbox water-resist (not waterproof) case I keep it in when I am outside or roughing it with my phone. It is 24 hours later and it still will not turn back on.

It is a sad day for me indeed. I feel like I lost a limb or something. Last night, there I was at home, with no phone (I don't own a home phone). I decided to play some Blizzard Entertainment action, only to realize I jsut downloaded their iPhone authenticator and with no phone, that meant no computer gaming either (Their offices to un-link your account are only open M - F 8 - 8).

Been reading online about others with the same problem and trying their advice. I left it infront a low heat hair dryer for an hour or so yesterday. Since last ngiht, it has been sitting on a bed of rice in a plastic bag hoping to absorb some moisture from it. The concensus online seems to be that it may work in 2 or 3 days, but naturally, I am worried I have bricked my baby.

Oh well, even thoguh I was waiting until June to see if they release a 32 gb model, maybe it is just time to go ahead and upgrade to the iPhone 3G.

In the meantime, may I use my toucharcade friends as a support system while I go thoruhg this difficult time? lol.

2. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Ouch. I heard rice helps.........................................

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

4. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Yep try rice with a fan over it... That has brought back 2 of my phones now...

5. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    I too feel your pain. I have nightmares of stuff like that happening. I know I shouldn't be so attached, but it has become almost my sole entertainment medium. I listen to all my music, watch all my TV, all my game playing, my e-mail, tru-phone, news, I mean if it took the dive, I'd be really fricking bored.

6. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    HAHA! Nice title. I thought this is some outrageously OT post again

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Serious post: I would check with your homeowners or renters insurance policy. You might have a rider for computers and other data processing equipment, it seems to be pretty standard for any insurance policy that you'd buy these days. These usually cover accidental damage. Your deductible might be too high for this to be worthwhile though.

Regardless, something to look in to. Also if it was purchased with a credit card, sometimes they offer a limited purchase protection period. I'm pretty sure American Express does something like this.

8. NJPodder

Sep 17, 2008
    :-( I was away from TA all weekend but when I got back and saw that, I was horrified. IMO, this si a lounge, and it is designed for off topic, I think you should be able to post whatever you want, especially around people you forum hop with everyday. I think people were way too mean about all that.

9. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    More OT:

I agree that people were too mean. I love Candy and I don't think she should have been treated that way.

Although, I can't say I blame the people that tortured her. It was vulnerability she showed on a forum full of young people, and they attacked her.

I'm sorry for the loss as well but I think most of the people were like WTF.

10. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

honestly I would have dropped the kid to save my phone >:l (i got a touch though)

11. RedStaR

RedStaR Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I don't see how one can be so careless

I understand accidents but being unaware of my phone's whereabouts is something completly unfathomable

When all these people come into the store and are like

"I broke my MacBook while running down the stairs while trying to balance it on my head"

Well honest bad luck I guess

Sorry bro now you have an excuse to upgrade.

12. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    A lot of people have a lot going on in their lives. Like the OP said, he was dealing with 3 kids at the time and had to put all his attention on one kid. You just get in the moment, and you just put all your focus on the kids cause you want to protect them and keep them safe, and everything else falls into the background. Unfortunately, in this case, his iPhone fell into the background, and then it went for a swim. I can completely see how this could happen. Yes, it's tough luck and he'll probably have to upgrade, but his actions aren't unheard of or completely absurd/ unfathomable. I'm not trying to start some flame war or start some huge fight with you, but I just don't think this situation, or many situations where people hurt their phones, are all that crazy. :)

13. RedStaR

Jan 7, 2009
    I agree,

Remember i said It's only unfathomable regarding my phone.

Because I do realize people have other things that push some things temporarily out of their minds that would be there otherwise.

14. crimson.

crimson. Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I don't have one...
    In AMERICA.
    Shit happens. Phones aren't extremely important to a lot of people. Hell, if my iPhone 3G fell in a pool it would give me the perfect excuse to buy an iPod Touch because, quite frankly, I think the iPhone is a terrible phone.

On topic, that sucks dude. I think Hodapp summed it up the best.

15. worldcup1100

worldcup1100 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    With the pictures or the "serious post"? I think the pictures.

16. crimson.

crimson. Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I don't have one...
    In AMERICA.
    Pictures definitely.

17. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Hang in there. I know what losing it is like. I lost one Touch, and nearly lost the second. All my music, games, movies, on the small slime device. ... shows how fragile life really is...

I guess you'll be upgrading. Hopefully they aren't coming out with a new iPhone this summer :(

18. NJPodder

Sep 17, 2008
    Yeah, I was hoping to hold onto my current iPhone until summer and definately upgrade if a new 32 gb version comes out. I actually like the original iPhone better than the 3g, so I have never really wanted to upgrade from it unless a bigger upgrade comes out, which it looks like might happen this summer. I mean... If I could somehow make it 2 more months, lol.

Yeah, it was insane with the three kids at the pool, I couldn't even put one down to take off my shirt before diving in, but I was stupid to even take the phone down there with me. I am definately to blame, didn't even have time to snap any photos anyway with a kid in hand at all times.

The good news is that there may be light at the end of the tunnel. Today, I finally got the screen to display when I plug the phone in to the charger. Now, the white apple logo appears, then the battery indicator which shows no charge (and the screen flickers a little). Unfortunately, the battery will not charge, jsut shows up as red no charge no matter how long I leave it plugged in. I am going to leave it unplugged for the rest of the day, maybe try again tonight or in the morning. If it is drying out, I don't want to short the battery (if it is not already destroyed) by running current to it yet. I did read on another forum someone who had a similiar problem and after another day the battery started charging again. Wish me luck!! Zen Bound now has a lite version too. DOH!

19. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I think you need to go re-read that thread if you think anyone was attacking Candy. Quite the opposite in fact, she was the one calling people asses, threatening members, and report spamming. I'm still not entirely sure why she decided to post that here or what she expected other than a resounding "WTF".

20. RedStaR

Jan 7, 2009
    #20 RedStaR, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
    Edit: had a question-Found the answer