It's crazy how cheap idevice games are

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Stirolak26, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    #21 Stirolak26, Oct 10, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
    Speaking of which what do you think of fastar or Fasar, picopico quest and song summoner? And what is your opinion of all those nipi icon pspgames like badman and cladun and gar or whayever that one with the long name that is coming out soon and how do the good iPad RPGs stack up to those retros/spiffs? Also n+ is free on pc yet the ds and psp versions cost 30 bucks so how does that make you feel. When you have access to the app store and you go back to looking for a handheld ga,e for ds or psp do you feel ripped off or more skeptical than before discovering the app store? Or am I the only one whose views on gaming it changed.? Also why is it that they even give any good games away for free at sly? I mean even on steam, when portal was given away for s week or two those who down,oared it didn't even get to keep it unlike the app store.

2. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Just because it lacks a big studio doesn't mean the game can't be better and most are more creative with small studios anyway. Look at plants vs zombies that game was way more talked about on forums when it first came out on steam and later iPad than any psp game outside Sony stuff or metal gear and many ppl think it's better than any psp or ds game. And look at those old amiga games made up of 1 or 2 ppl dev teams that were better than most snes or genesis games. And here is another question: how many western rpg games does the ds or psp have worth playing.

3. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    How about FPS games

Im going to get a lot of flak for saying this, but the iphone4 kills DS and PSP for FPS. I have yet to see a MCS2, COD Zombies, or anything even close to it on either systems. Or how about HD graphics. Please challenge my opinion by posting screen shots of games for psp or DS that can prove that the iOS is inferior. I choose touch controls any day over 1 analog stick and a 4 bottom pad.

4. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    Hmm..WRPG's..for the DS, check out Etrian Odyssey 1 2 3 and the Shin Megami Tensei games. They're Japanese, but the gameplay is solidly inspired from the old WRPG styles. Oh wait, get The Dark Spire first. That's your best bet, it's basically a fan sequel to the original 3 Wizardry games. Not too sure about the PSP tho, it's not really my field :p.

N+ doesn't bother me that it costs money. Some iOS games do the same thing; a free Flash version online, and you can buy it if you want to have a portable copy. Anyway porting games takes work, and unlike most Flash games, N+ is worth $30 :).

Plants vs. Zombies wasn't done by an indie studio :). I do agree that indie games done right can be just as good, but the fact is that in a game like Soosiz when you can't afford to hire a composer and instead resort to stock music your game isn't going to be as good.

Going back to the value thing though, I've in no way ever felt ripped off. From my experience, all game platforms still follow an equal pricing/value structure and a new $30 game is still going to be roughly 30x better than a new 99c game. I mean, if someone asked me right now if I would rather have Final Fantasy XV or $60 worth of the best iOS games, I'd pick the FF every time.

Sorry for flaming a bit. I'm a huge gaming nerd and I just get mad when people try to equate unequal games like happens here so often. Seeing people having a legitimate argument over whether Zenonia or Inotia 2 is better than the PSP RPG library is frankly insulting to great games like FF7 Crisis Core and KH imo.

5. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    I base the comparison on a pretty simple "hours of play" scale. If I buy a game for $1 and get 10 hours of play out of it, then I feel thats a better gaming value than a game I pay $60 and get 15 hours of gameplay. And like I said, there've been way too many games I've dropped $60 on and not gotten more than a few hours out of. The game I got the most fun time out of on the PS3 was not a COD game or a Final Fantasy or GTA...it was Pixeljunk Monsters. I probably put 150 hours into that game.

But then I really hate the FF games. Really...hate.

6. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    So only 2 FF (I don't see what is the new FF, those I know not port aren't that good), the 3 DQ, the 2 Mario, the 2 Zelda. It's already a lot when compared to iRPG. But I hope for you that you never played those:
    • Might & Magic Clash of Heroes
    • Infinite Space
    • Mystery Dungeon Shiren the Wanderer
    • SMT Devil Survivor
    • Chrono Trigger
    • Puzzle Quest
    • Fire Emblem Remake
    • Knights in the Nightmare
    • Lock's Quest
    No matter the personal preferences those are clear top.

Those aren't as top but better than any iRPG I tried:
    • Suikoden Tierkreis
    • The World Ends With You
    • Disgaea DS
    • Final Fantasy Tactic A2
    • Lost Magic
    • Contact
    • Valkyrie Profile
    • Magical Starsign

Not to mention that many has some original shift increasing the interest and that is rare in iRPG, in fact I only see Rimelands to have an interesting shift.

7. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    For WRPG spirit on DS or more exactly those not feeling like JRPG I'd quote:
    • Might & Magic Clash of Heroes
    • Infinite Space
    • Mystery Dungeon Shiren the Wanderer
    • Puzzle Quest
    • Puzzle Quest 2

8. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    #28 Stirolak26, Oct 11, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
    Since u like jrpgs so much, what is your opinion of rpg quest, picopico quest, Perilar,mysterious land, Cavern, and The quest for ipad/iPhone. Or is there a single iPhone or iPad jrpg style of game or retro rpg that you like? You probably didn't even try those obscure old school RPGs on iPhone have u? Or those psp RPGs like Half minute hero, badman, cladun, etc. They are also great and u should also try them but note they aren't any longer or better than the indie retro iphone RPGs IMO.

9. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    But I think the iPad or iphone ff1 remake is just as good as the ds ff4 remake in terms of presentation and content. Plus just because squResoft hadn't made or porter ff4 or other older ff games doesn't mean they won't or can't, there are no hardware li iterations and the controls worked real well for ff1. How can you say the ff4 ds remake is 6 times better than the ff1 for iPad remKe when the price differences are that high and the ff1 remake has much better sprites and doesn't suffer from pixelated 3d wannabeism?

10. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    But puzzle quest is also on iPhone and there are other puzzle RPGs like chronosgear egg on iPhone as well. Plus wouldn't you rather play warpgate HD on iPad in high def than infinite space?

11. TNT_HEADSHOT

TNT_HEADSHOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Modern Warfare 2 is on DS:p

12. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Sorry, but if you think the port of FF1 is just as good as the remake of ff4 for the DS, you simply don't know what you're talking about. FF4 was given a whole new look, it was rebuilt, and not a lay port of a PSP version of ff1.

iDevices are not now, nor ever will be gaming devices. That will ALWAYS be secondary to their primary function, be it a media player, web browser/ebook reader, phone etc.

And I know Steve Jobs referred to the new ipod Touch as a gaming device, but that doesn't make it one, nor does calling my cat a tiger make her one.

13. Zevious Zoquis

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    LOL, sorry, but you are wrong. They already are gaming devices. You saying it isn't one doesn't change that. You do realize theres more to gaming than rpgs don't you?

14. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I agree..Apple's iPT ads are all geared to gaming now. on posters there're always screenshots of games. and all that "funnest iPod ever" stuff

15. Kartel

Kartel Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    #35 Kartel, Oct 11, 2010
    They're actually way too cheap.

A lot of the success you guys are talking about is for the absolute smash sellers, like Angry Birds. What about most of the 99 cent apps that aren't featured in the top 200, like Blue Hole 3D? That's a well made, polished game, and it's yet to see much hype whatsoever. I dare say that these guys represent most devs out there, forced to sell for cheap in a market still too skewed from the 2008 glut, and don't get lucky like Rovio and Zeptolab did?

16. Zevious Zoquis

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    Its got little to do with what Apple or anyone else says. I use the thing more for gaming than anything else, therefore its a gaming machine. I use it more than the DS. The fact that its also my phone and my gps and so on all just makes it that much more impressive...

17. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    lol. Saying the iPod can beat a DS or PSP is ridiculous.

The only games on the iPod that can pass on a DS would be Jet Car Stunts, Hook Champ, Phoenix Wright (oh look it came from the DS, go figure), Space Miner.

But really, there's no point in discussing this on an iPod Gaming Forum. The results will be biased as shit.

18. beachmusic

beachmusic Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Really are you blind? Play Modernwarfare mobilized back to back with Modern combat 2 and tell me without bias how ridiculous to say that the ipod can beat a DS.

19. Zevious Zoquis

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    What about COD:Zombies, NFS Shift, Soozis, Meteor Blitz, Monster Dash, The Creeps and a couple dozen others? I've looked for games like that on the DS and had little luck finding any as good. And that ignores the great games that really wouldn't work all that well if at all on a DS like Tilt To Live...

Of course it also ignores the fact that most games just plain look terrible on the DS to begin with...

20. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    #40 da shiz wiz 19, Oct 11, 2010
    I think I'd rather have Animal Crossing or Pokemon or Mario Kart DS or a bunch of other games I haven't bought for the DS than all of those combined. Yes, I've played all those and a lot more.

The only thing the iPod has are FPSs. Not enough to make a gaming device to me. You named one game in that post and said "oooh it's overrrrr, look I found one game".