iTrade announced

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by jaisor, Apr 16, 2009.

1. jaisor

jaisor Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Lead Software Developer
    Irvine CA
    No problem :) I am really glad you guys are enjoying it. Hopefully there will be a lot more players soon.

I just sent binaries to a few more beta-test requests so whoever PM-ed me today, check your messages and join the party.

2. jaisor

jaisor Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Lead Software Developer
    Irvine CA
    Hey all, I just sent a few more PMs to enthused testes.

Also tomorrow we plan on a little server load testing. I will try to auto-register a batch of users and see how the server likes it. If it goes ill and service is interrupted please forgive us - but its better to know now than after the release :) This might also help us determine if we should charge for the app.

Your input is as always welcomed.

3. FilthyCanadian

FilthyCanadian Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    #43 FilthyCanadian, Apr 21, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
    I'm trying the beta, and so far it's pretty great.

4. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    My iTrade Screen Shots!

Hey everyone! I wanted to post my iTrade screen shots for those who are not Beta Testers and want to see it in action.

I find iTrade really informative, beautiful graphics, it's quick and the best stock app that will be in the app store soon IMHO. :)

Notice the stock details with the graph, it even has a "Hot Stocks" option plus All the stocks are available in a list and you don't even have to type in the letters. :) I made it into the Top Scores board (barely) lol. I am CandyCane.

[​IMG]

5. Spotlight

Spotlight Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    When is it going to be released.
    And also, would it be possible to beta test it or is it too late?

Thanks.

6. Shocked

Shocked Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    I finally got it to work :).

Still trying to figure it all out.

7. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    My testes are enthused...

I posted this same question in the iPSX thread:
    I have never played a fantasy stock exchange game ever, but a friend of mine has and tells me the way it works is that it goes by the stocks and occurrences the day before. So if Dow went down 10 points yesterday, the game would be affected same time today. Is that how iTrade is, or is it 'live'?

8. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    It's not exactly "live", it's delayed a bit. By the end of the day though, all the stats on iTrade would be the same as the ones on the TV screen. So for example, Ford Motors went up $0.51 in real life on Friday, Ford went up $0.51 on iTrade. The stocks are a little bit delayed though, I don't know how they're going to make it live since that requires I would think I lot of money, time, and memory to run.

9. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    I'm having trouble understanding that sentence. If it went up on Friday, when would it go up on iTrade?
    And how does this compare to the upcoming iPSX?

10. CandyNJ66

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    Yes it would Voodoo.

Look at my animated pictures. IMO, it is the superior stock trade app. ISPX is good too but in owning both, that's my call on it. I love iTrade.

11. jaisor

jaisor Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Lead Software Developer
    Irvine CA
    Hey all, sorry I've been busy the last few days. We plan on releasing iTrade on May 1st - after the scheduled end of month transaction reset.

We still plan on releasing the game for FREE! Yes FREE, and its even using live quotes - funded by donation of a very friendly angel investor ;) (more info on that some time soon)

Also we are working on a nice website, PR sheet, forums, advertisement etc.

The forums are up and running at: http://nerdtrade.com/forum - you can login with tyou screenname and password from iTrade - the authentication mechanisms are the same.

The PR sheet is also ready for a preview at: http://nerdtrade.com/pr/

Glad to hear you guys like iTrade. We are a few regular guys with regular jobs that do all of this as a hobby and mostly for fun. Your appreciation means a lot.

12. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    "live" as in up to the minute?

13. jaisor

jaisor Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Lead Software Developer
    Irvine CA
    The amounts you guys see on all the screens are delayed by around 25 mins. But the transactions are submitted by the server with a live quote (real-time last price) at the time of submission. Unfortunately only the server knows the price at the time of submission for various reasons crippling the publicity of real-time stock data.

Live quotes are needed to prevent cheating tho - there are many ways players can get live quotes (Scottrade, Yahoo, Google) and a 20 min foresight can allow for some bad cheating on the scoreboards :)

14. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    I'm having some trouble understanding how it works. Are you saying that it's updated every 25 minutes and when it is updated, the stocks reflect their actual price?

15. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    OK so that's the beta version. From my understanding, version 1.0 will have LIVE data. So it'll be tick by tick, cent by cent. There won't be a 25 minute delay, actually the exact opposite. Wonderful idea considering that it'll be almost exactly like the stock market except you're not losing any real cash :)

16. jaisor

jaisor Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Lead Software Developer
    Irvine CA
    Here is a good read on explaining the concept of Delayed Stock Quotes - http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/301267.html

17. jaisor

jaisor Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Lead Software Developer
    Irvine CA
    With a few hick-ups the beta version was submitting the transactions with Live Quotes too. There should not be any difference between the Live and Beta versions in that aspect - its all on the same server. We did have a few interruptions from the server.

The live quotes are not displayed on the game tho, except after the transaction happens. So all the numbers and quotes displayed on iTrade are delayed. For example if I want to buy AAPL and iTrade submits the transaction with pending quote of 122.50 - that quote was delayed about 20 minutes. When the server decides to submit the transaction within 5-10 mins after it was submitted as pending - it will pull the Live (Real-time) quote for AAPL at that moment and submit the transaction at that price which could be a lot different than the original delayed quote.

Hope that all makes sense coz the more I explain it the more I get confused :)

18. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    So what your saying is when we buy/sell, were actually buying/selling at what the price would be when it pulls it 5-10 minutes later?

19. CandyNJ66

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    When we buy a stock, it goes through immediately but what is displayed is a bit behind. It won't currently display the price in real time. 5-10 mins later or so it's updated. Hopefully in the future, the display will catch up to the real time transaction. :)

20. jaisor

jaisor Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Lead Software Developer
    Irvine CA
    That is exactly correct. I wish I can post the real-time quotes but that requires a lot of money - a lot more than we can afford to spend on our "hobby"

Hopefully you guys will all like it and spread the word so we can get the ball rolling. Tho a descent server is higher on the list than public live quotes :) The current tin box will have to do for the first few weeks, unless we get thousands of users a day - which would be awesome but might require us to put a temp price tag till we upgrade.