iPad iTD Lite is out!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jonaswills, Dec 23, 2008.

1. jonaswills

jonaswills Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Colorado
    Hey all,

iTD Lite has been released so if haven't gotten a chance to try out iTD yet you have no excuse!

Go grab it now

Let us know what you think!

*Note* There were some problems with the download last night because the app store was acting funny but it looks like it has been fixed.

2. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
  3. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    cool!

btw i loved bounce on.

4. InsolentDreams

InsolentDreams Well-Known Member

"appstore freaking out"

Here's a lil' tip from a veteran of the AppStore and some insider information... the AppStore's architecture is a series of clustered servers which cache information and update their caches roughly two to four times a day depending on load which is different for every cache and cluster.

So what happens on release day of your app is that your game may show in one AppStore for one person, but not another, even someone sitting right next to you especially if they are on a different internet connection. Even if you give them the iTunes URL they could be on a different cache.

We have figured out a way to avoid this though, when you submit your app set the release date to roughly 2 weeks in the future since their submission process usually takes 7-10 days they will approve it before that date. They will email you that it has been approved. It will not be on the AppStore because it hasn't hit the release date. Then go login to itunesconnect.apple.com and change the release date to 1-2 days after the current date. I recommend 2 days, but if you're in a hurry go for "tomorrow". What happens then is Apple already has your item in their caches all around the world ready to be distributed when it hits that date and it is a simultaneous release with no weirdness where people can't see it quite yet.

Just a great tip for any other developers. ;) I see a lot of people complaining about this "weirdness". This is just how it's design, it's a pretty typical distributed and load balanced system.

Cheers

5. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    Make a Bounce on Lite, im still not 100% sold...

6. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    iTD > 7 Cities > Besiegement/Fieldrunners > TapDefense

More iTD maps! PLEASE!!!

7. jborislow

jborislow Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    It's actually a pretty fun game... They sadi they will fix an issue where it is hard to kill enemies because the collision detection is a bit strange... also... they are already making a new world... worth $2.99 definitely...

8. jonaswills

jonaswills Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Colorado
    #8 jonaswills, Dec 23, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
    Thanks for the tip! We set the release date to the 23rd when we sent it in and I guess it was aproved right on the 23rd so it did that... we'll be sure to not let this happen again.

9. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    Thanks, I might pick it up...

10. IzzyNobre

IzzyNobre Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    At this point I must say "screw TD".

Seriously. These devs have ran the genre into the ground. Enough already.

11. sygg

sygg Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    really wanna see iTD internet score board.

12. damballah

damballah Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Great game. Just purchased after playing Lite. Basically Vector TD. Nice work.

Not sure which TD game is the best, I like different things about each of them.