iPad It would *SEEM* that Freeverse is a bit upset with Ambrosia...?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BrettArchibald, Sep 9, 2008.

1. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    A lot of you might have seen or heard about Ambrosia's Mr. Sudoku game (iTunes link here), which is quite recognisable because of its use of a bee in the game's icon, logo and splash screen. Not a very "obvious" way to promote a sudoku game, so it's use is quite unique there.

Browsing the store this evening, I noticed that Freeverse has got an application called FreeBee Sudoku (iTunes link here), which, coincidentally or not, also makes use of a bee in its branding, and of course, also in it's name.
    At this point, you might think I'm reading too much into it, but I thought more of this when I saw the second promo screenshot for this game in iTunes (you won't see this on your iPhone / iPod, but only on the desktop version), which has a picture of their bee, saying "You know, this reminds me of a puzzle...".

Add to the mix that Freeverse ALREADY has a Sudoku game on the store (Big Bang Sudoku), and that their FreeBee Sudoku game is NOT a lite version (they say it has over 10,000 puzzles included), and you have to wonder what's going on...

Hmmm, if I had to guess, I'd say that Freeverse reckons that Ambrosia stole an idea from them, and they're getting their own back with this...

Anyone else have any ideas?

2. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    HAHA, nice observation, I just wish they make some good games.

3. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    Hmm, seems I might have made some incorrect conclusions. I see Freeverse's older sudoku game also that "this reminds me of a puzzle" screen (although I have no idea why or what the relevance of it is), and that their newer sudoku game, although not lite in the "limited levels" sense if the word, is ad-supported.
    I guess this is an admission that there's too many sudoku competitors out there (to state the obvious!) and that people would rather download a free version than pay for theirs. So they have to re-coup their costs another way, hence the ads.