iPad iStory: Interactive fiction environment/game

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by spiffyone, Feb 15, 2009.

1. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
  2. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    No need to TOFTT.

Strangely this is one of those apps that one can try on the web. For free.

3. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Frotz would seem to win here. You can play a huge number of adventures using that.

Though I suppose you could get both.....

4. tayl0r

tayl0r Active Member

Feb 19, 2009
    programmer & game designer
    san diego, CA, USA
    #4 tayl0r, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
    Hey guys! I saw some hits on my website from this post and I thought I would stop by and say hi and share a little bit about my app, iStory.

iStory is 2 parts- the iPhone app and the web app. The iPhone app lets you read stories. The web app lets you author stories AND read them. One of my long term goals is to let you author stories from the iPhone but that is going to take some work.

So, if you want to use iStory, you just need to go the website, http://istoryweb.appspot.com/, login with your google account, then create a story. You'll be able to play it right there on the web. If you ever want to play it on your iPhone, you can download the iStory iPhone app and you'll be able to do it there, as well as play any of the other stories that people have written.

The reason I went in the Choose Your Own Adventure direction for iStory was becuase I really liked Choose Your Own Adventure books as a little kid so I made my app with those types of stories in mind, as opposed to Frotz.

Once I finished that, I then wanted to support simple text games and text adventures, so I implemented a pretty simple scripting language that lets you get and set variables, do random numbers, and if / else if / else blocks. It's no Frotz but it should let you do some interesting stuff.

Right now I'm working on supporting normal stories that are just huge blocks of text or html. So anyone would be able to upload any story they want. They could have written that story themselves or it could be a free story they found online. I think that will be the must have feature that makes iStory worth the .99 cents to every iPhone user.

If anyone wants a promo code for iStory, please let me know ( email me at tsteil at gmail). I'd love to get a a few honest reviews from you guys.

5. Lungkisser

Lungkisser Active Member

Feb 6, 2009
    U.S.A.
    #5 Lungkisser, Feb 19, 2009
    Well, I shot you an e-mail, would love to try it out. I used to read those Make Your Own Goosebumps books as a kid, and I love Interactive Fiction (gotta shout out to Adventure and Frotz here, being free and all.)

6. tayl0r

tayl0r Active Member

Feb 19, 2009
    san diego, CA, USA
    That's awesome, Lungkisser. I used to read Goosebumps too, but never the Make Your Own Goosebumps series. I bet they were good though.

I think someone already made a Frotz player for the iPhone but I don't think it has been released on the app store. One thing that is kind of frustrating with Frotz on your mobile device is having to type in the commands. It would be cool to make it generate a list of possible commands that you could just choose from. But then, would it be too easy?
    It's definitely something I've been thinking about...

This whole iStory project has taught me that writing is hard. It's pretty difficult to write a good story, and even harder to finish it. I haven't gotten any story submissions so far, except for that Joke Book, which I think proves my point.

7. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    #7 PointOfLight, Feb 19, 2009
    Frotz: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=287653015&mt=8

I haven't tried it yet (though I do have it on my device), but I did try advent, which is the iPhone version of the original Colossal Cave game (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284446752&mt=8), and I do find it a bit frustrating sometimes typing in the commands and such. It's still pretty fun though. I actually bought iStory a couple of days ago (should have held out for a code :rolleyes: ) and I do like the interface from what I've played so far. I just tried the Zombie story, and apparently you liked the movie I Am Legend :D Anyway, I will provide a better review when I've had more of a chance to use it and actually play around with the editor a bit.

8. tayl0r

tayl0r Active Member

Feb 19, 2009
    san diego, CA, USA
    That Zombie story is kind of interesting. Did you figure out how to win? (hint, you just need to do the same thing over and over again until eventually you get a different response)

9. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I actually hadn't played it that much yet. To give you an idea of my overload right now, I've had my Touch for a little under 2 months and I have over 130 games! There's quite a few that I haven't even loaded up yet...

10. tayl0r

tayl0r Active Member

Feb 19, 2009
    san diego, CA, USA
    You are quite the "mobile games reviewer" =)

11. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Everyone's gotta have a hobby :) I've actually written about 180 reviews since I started with my Pocket PC a little over 4 years ago.

12. tayl0r

tayl0r Active Member

Feb 19, 2009
    san diego, CA, USA
    I checked out your site.. you do have a lot of reviews! Very nice. It's great that you stuck with it and kept doing reviews instead of just getting tired after a couple months.

13. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Thanks for looking at my site. It's a bit hideous (that's what I get for using a template), but it serves its purpose until I can face lift. I will confess that it was a little easier sticking with the reviews knowing that I'd get the games for free. I own over 200 Pocket PC games and I've bought maybe 30 of them. But, the main reason I do it is because I like sharing my opinions about the games and I hope that I can help people be smarter about how they spend their money. That really seems to be a concern for people in the iDevice world, since so many of them aren't even willing to spend 99 cents for a game.