Issues @ iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Bramsey89, Jun 24, 2010.

1. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Yeah, I got an e-mail from Orange and they said they had them back in stock. But then I clicked on their link to their website, but it didn't work (maybe it's down due to everyone suddenly going to it, lol). But I'll probably get a factory unlocked one directly from Apple anyway :)

2. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    When do you think that they will start selling the PAYG models in store mate? I am really tempted to buy online, but in the past expensive stuff I have bought gets lost etc...

3. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Well on the UK Apple website, they say 3 weeks delivery time. So I assume that it will be at least 3 weeks before they get them back in stock in stores.
    As for UK networks, it should be sooner. O2, Orange, Vodafone, 3, T-Mobile and Tesco have all confirmed that they will be selling them (ones in bold confirmed PAYG model).
    If O2 start selling PAYG models before Apple, I'll probably get one from them because I already have an O2 PAYG sim card.

4. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Let's hope so my friend. Here is yet another issue.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2476608&start=45&tstart=0

More and more reason to delay my purchase.

5. Scaramoosh

Scaramoosh Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    You're better waiting anyways cause I'm sure the antenna problem has to be a result of rushing all these models out, I doubt Apple would have released them knowing this issue.

6. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I'm pretty sure they did release them knowing about the issue. I mean, all the testing it would have gone through, you'd think something as simple as holding it in your hand and making a phone call would have been tested thoroughly. Also another thing that makes me suspicious is that they are selling these "bumper" cases to fix the problem. That makes me think that they knew in advance and were trying to earn a bit of extra money. I doubt that a fix will come in the form of a new/fixed model, but instead it could be resolved through the software. I read somewhere that it's possible to turn off the external antenna and just use the internal one (or something like that).

7. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    This is something I've found off Eurogamer forums.

"The signal loss of my iPhone 4 is starting to become really annoying. I am seriously thinking about returning it and going for a 3GS. Should I just ebay it?"

Encouraging hey?

I don't think all these problems are software related, there is obviously some hardware out there that is faulty. Selling 1.5 Million units in the first day, it isn't wise coming out saying the hardware is to blame. Think of the amount of backlash that would give rise to.

8. Scaramoosh

Scaramoosh Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah but I reckon the bumpers are there just because of the design, now it is flat they stop any of the phone from touching a flat surface. Also you can have screen protectors on both sides of the phone now. Just think it is a coincidence that it helps signal and it is something people can throw conspiracy theory's at. I mean lots of people aren't reporting a problem and none of the review models had the problem.

So it could be software, could be a result of rushing out phones or just could be a really bad design fault. If it did exist and none of the reviewers noticed it, then it could just have missed testing until it was too late. Like when you're told it would drop the signal then you will do it, however if you aren't aware of it then you don't try it.

9. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
  10. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
  11. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I don't see how it would be able to be fixed through a software update, but we'll see...

12. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Same here mate, only time will tell as you said.

13. Conspiracy theorists think it's a cover-up. Do you honestly think it's in Apple's best interest to just mask the problem by keeping signal bars high in software? Do you know how fast that sort of thing would be uncovered, and how big the fallout from it would be? I'm not suggesting that Apple's rumoured software-based fix will solve the problem -- it may, it may not, but there's some logic in the idea of it being a frequency hopping problem, which would indeed be handled in software. I'm certain there's a hardware issue involved here as well, but it if can be mitigated or even eliminated through software then I say wait and see how it pans out. But this conspiracy theory is just retarded.

14. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I want the problems fixed ASAP so I can go out and part with my cash without worrying about the problems surfacing on my phone. I just think it is too convenient to say that it is a software issue etc... I'm not one to buy into gossip at all, so IMO it could be anything causing the problem.

15. I want to hear that they get fixed, too. The 4 isn't here in Canada yet, but it's only a few weeks away at best, and I'd like to hear that things have improved at least before I order mine. I'm just not willing to rule out any potential fixes at this point, and a baseband fix sounds promising, if not a total solution. We'll see what happens.

16. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Here's hoping we both get our shiny, bug free phones by August at the latest, hey buddy!

17. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    More like crApple...

FIRST and LAST time I will every buy first batch iphone...

So I just got off the phone with a "Helpful" :rolleyes: rep from apple...

He sounded stoned and took for freaking ever to do anything... Anyways in the end they offered to do an advance replacement on my iphone, for a hold on my CC then they would ship out a brand new one, the rep informs me that it will be $199 on my card, so I say no problem... BIG PROBLEM, they charged me $740?!?!? It's still pending but will most likely show up tomorrow... WTF
    I tried calling back immediately but they were closed at that point, looks like I'll be back on the phone a 4th time tomorrow when I wake up... :mad::mad::mad:

This iphone has given me a WAY bigger headache then need be and while I love the iDevice, this entire experience has really got me considering not getting another one if my replacement isn't working right. If it wasn't for all the $$$ I've invested in games I probably would have taken the jump already...

18. Vinyl Darhma

Vinyl Darhma Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Hehe crApple...good one :rolleyes:

19. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Horrible news Brian. Hope you work everything out sometime today.

20. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. Maybe these videos will make you feel better :D