Issues @ iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Bramsey89, Jun 24, 2010.

1. One guy on one of the lines at Foxconn was drunk and smearing epoxy in all the wrong places? I dunno. They certainly had numerous assembly lines going so it's entirely possible one of the lines got botched somehow, or one of the fiddly little bits inside had a bad batch, and one guy got a good phone from a good line and the other guy got the bad one. I'm just guessing here but it's a perfectly cromulent possibility.

2. DarkeMage

DarkeMage Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    High School
    Sydney, Australia!!!
    I was planning on getting this when it arrives in Australia. But with the reception problems, I just don't know anymore. should I still get it?

3. The way I see it, people like you and me who are getting the iPhone later than the initial 5 countries will probably get to benefit from the issues that affect some of the existing units. By the time we get it, there's a good chance that whatever went wrong on the assembly line (or wherever the problems originated) could be fixed and the batches we get will work better.

Let's hope, anyway.

4. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I would say yes apple obviously designed the bumper for this reason. I have a silicon case and get WAY better reception then I did with my 3GS even. If the signal loss without a case is a deal breaker then it may not be until they can fix it. In still going to bring it to my apple store next weekend and see what their response is. The speedtest without the case vs. case is shocking to say the least and I lose full signal without it. I'm going to go in there without my case and try to score a free bumper at the least if they won't replace it. I'm jealous Hodapp's is working fine. But glad to hear that it may be an isolated issue?...

5. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Took the words right out of my mouth friend.

6. Scaramoosh

Scaramoosh Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Do you reckon we'll see a 64GB version in Sept?

7. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    nope

8. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    #88 1337brian, Jun 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
    Well I tested it with my wife last night, and she can replicate the issue also. In fact she made it lose signal entirely! I have only been able to get it to drop down to 0 bars (Still shows carrier logo). Going to a BBQ to test on more people and see if it happens with everyone... Hodapp have you tried with other people on your unit?

9. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Found a vid on how to fix it

10. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    #90 1337brian, Jun 26, 2010
    Nope doesn't work for me, same exact signal drop...

I think it's an issue with the phone, I'm interested if there's anything more to the body chemistry thing... I'll be testing it with about 10 people this afternoon and I'll report back....

11. Portugeeza

Portugeeza Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I dont get it, why is every one crying about a few signal bars going down it dont stop you from making a call or receving a call...

12. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I'm in London now seeing my brother. I'm going to head to a few Apple stores and try my luck.

13. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    #93 Kamazar, Jun 26, 2010
    Forgive me for asking as I am a young, impressionable teen with no object and no real tangible concept of the value of money, but it seems to me that if one were to buy a $200 to $300 phone, one would not have to require the use of adhesive tape to get said phone to work, even though making calls is its primary function. Am I mistaken?

It a phone. It should be able to make phone calls regardless of how you're holding it. That's the only real thing a phone has to do. Everything else is icing on top. Why have a phone if it can't make a call if your grip's half an inch too high? That's like BMW releasing a car where you have to jiggle the key for a good 2 minutes to get it running.

14. Portugeeza

Portugeeza Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    @Kamazar this is what I dont understand, I have the phone i'm able to make and receve
    calls. It dont stop me from using it, and Im holding it on the bottom left, and it says I only have 1 signal bar.

15. Scaramoosh

Scaramoosh Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Imaging having to make an emergency call and the person dying because you couldn't get signal lol.

16. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Hahahah you are one twisted human! :p

17. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    You have one of the milder cases. Others completely drop calls. Holding it the wrong way just shouldn't affect the signal in any way.

18. Sxethang

Sxethang Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    I totally agree, I don't care how nice something is. If I paid good money for it, I don't want to have to ducktape it to get it to work. I'll buy one when all the kinks have
    been worked out.

19. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    #99 1337brian, Jun 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
    I'm crying because if I use my phone without a case I CAN'T make a call. No data. NOTHING! Also seems the sim card issue isn't as wide spread but seems they are replacing them if you have the no sim issue.
    http://m.gizmodo.com/5572947/if-you-have-these-iphone-4-problems-you-should-exchange-your-phone

Looks like I'll be going for my replacement ASAP

Just talked with AT&T, apple is closed for the night. Told me to call on Monday and they are going to get me a replacement from apple. Hopefully they'll have then in stock sooner than later..

20. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Good luck getting stock Brian. I called around all the Apple stores in London and they are completely out.