Issues @ iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Bramsey89, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Scaramoosh

Scaramoosh Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    I'll wait till Oct to see if Windows 7 mobile is any good.

2. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #62 crunc, Jun 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
    The number of people reporting this problem isn't really very high. In fact I find it hard to find anyone actually saying that they have the problem. Mostly it's just people who don't have the iPhone 4 saying that there is a fatal flaw because they read on some blog that there was a fatal flaw. Engadget notes that they have one iPhone 4 that has the problem and the rest of theirs do not, no matter how they hold it, cased or uncased. So clearly it's not some fundamental flaw in the design of the iPhone 4, rather seems to be a defect in some of them. Easily fixable by getting a replacement. Apple is *very* lenient in my experience, when it comes to getting a replacement.

EDIT: and I'll add, that every single person I've seen post about *their* iPhone 4, says they do not have the reception issue at all, and many are reporting that the reception is noticeably better then their previous iPhone. I have yet to see anyone report that it's worse.

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Yep, and this wouldn't be the first time tech blogs blew something entirely out of proportion and it wouldn't be the first time they try to make an issue appear more wide spread than it is to link bait. For what it's worth, the people I know also have had substantial improvements in signal from upgrading to the iPhone 4. My faraday cage of a bathroom went from no signal to 2 bars.

4. Scaramoosh

Scaramoosh Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Well the issue is if you cover up that point then you lose signal quality...

5. I don't know that they're blowing it out of proportion so much as it is those who have the problem who are most likely to chime in about it (certainly not without reason). So we're probably seeing skewed results that make it seem worse than it is. That it exists is certainly not good, but I suspect the problem is a little more limited than it's made out to be.

6. Sxethang

Sxethang Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
  7. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Well the issue is real for me, but like I said also a non-issue, as I will always have a case on it like I did all my other iphones before. But for me I am actually having bigger issue with the "No sim" errors... So far in two days I have had it happen 5 times, went to at&t and got a replacement sim and within 5 minutes it happened again twice more... So I'm guessing I may just have a defective unit... Hoping I can get an exchange before my 30 days is up...

8. amroc

amroc Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Male
    Games Programmer
    London, England
    #68 amroc, Jun 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
    I think a section of this was posted before, but here's the complete thread of people experiencing the same problem with the nexus one:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/android/thread?tid=34ae2c179184c33e&hl=en

For what it's worth it seems I get a one bar drop when I hold it, but the 3g signal is still strong. It's something I would have never noticed had there not been all the talk about it, it may well have happened on other phones I've owned.

9. amroc

amroc Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Male
    Games Programmer
    London, England
    This started happening on my old 3g, but only after a year or so, and not anywhere near as frequently as you're experiencing it. Unfortunately it does sound like a bit of a hardware fault :(

10. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Yea the problem is on a small scale, could only find about 5 other people online with the same issue, since a new sim is doing the same exact thing, I'm guessing my phone is somewhat faulty... I REALLY hope I can get a brand new replacement before my 30 day return ends, as I don't feel like getting stuck with a refurb down the road in a month or two...

11. amroc

amroc Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Male
    Games Programmer
    London, England
    Maybe you could stick some tape or something to the back of the sim, to try and make it "thicker". It might just be a very weak contact. Not sure if this is a wise idea...

12. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Thank you for the suggestion, I had actually thought of doing this, but the sim is so small, and I don't want to damage it on accident... I'll just pray they get them in stock sooner than later...

13. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  14. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    @Dave, ROFL!!!

Also wanted to add when I got my sim replaced today at the AT&T store I asked the manager about the issue and said "Are you guys giving out free bumpers to fix the reception issue?" looking at me a little stunned and bewildered he says "What? No. It's gonna be fixed through a software update." So I don't know how much truth there is to that, or how it could even be possible but there you go....

Also interested if Hodapp's i4 is doing
    The same and what your thoughts on the matter...

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I actually can't even replicate the cupping issue that's causing signal drop. I tried actively following exactly what the people in those movies were doing but I can't get it to do anything. Something interesting that some developer friends mentioned to me is that it might have to do with body chemistry and exactly how conductive your skin is naturally.

Apparently they've got two iPhone 4's. There's nothing one person can do to get either iPhone to do the signal drop thing including licking his hands and holding the phone. The other is capable of getting both phones to drop AT&T signal strength like a rock.

Not sure if this is anecdotal or not since it's only a two person two iPhone sample, but interesting none the less.

16. I'm wagering it's more an assembly issue than the conductivity of your skin -- some circuits wired just slightly too close or not shielded properly or something. Could be that coating issue that's been rumoured as well. Who knows? It's not affecting every phone though so it's clearly not a design issue.

17. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    there is a roumor that 4.0.1 is being released sometime next week

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

How do you explain two people with two phones and only one person is capable of getting the signal drop to happen? That's really strange to me.

19. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Quality control is quality out of control. They put so much effort into electrocuting the nipples of sweatshop workers that they forgot it's all about the <3

20. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Well when I was doing the speed tests it dropped to zero when holding it. I'm glad yours is working right, then again it could be body chemistry as I swear I can feel a "tingle" when holding without a case. I hope I'm not getting some serious radiation or anything. I'll see if my wife can replicate the issue. Then again with sim card errors I'm thinking I might have just got a bad piece of kit. :(
    I can post a video of the speed tests if anyone is really interested...