Issues @ iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Bramsey89, Jun 24, 2010.

1. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Well it's a small issue as a case DOES prevent it, but still should be fixed nonetheless... For me the "No Sim" randomly popping up is worse as my phone may go out for an hour or more unless I'm checking it... I'm hoping it was just at&t just testing the new micro sim out on a large scale? turn them off for a minute and back on?...

2. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    how is the battery life on the 4? compared to the older ones.. as they say in there sales pitch better battery life, any truth? or marketers doing what they do best.. sell sell sell.

chris.

3. That may be the first time I've heard someone use Cockney rhyming slang on these boards. Can you Adam and Eve it? :D

It's definitely a hardware issue. The latest news is that apparently a batch of phones went out without a special non-conductive coating on the chassis band that would have prevented this problem. Apple support is apparently being pretty good about overnighting new phones to anyone having these problems, so anyone who has them should call.

Perhaps it's a good thing then that Rogers isn't getting these until (rumour has it) mid-July. Hopefully we'll get a proper batch that doesn't have these issues.

In the mean time, there are apparently some redneck engineering solutions: A strip of Scotch or electrical tape around the band at the seam will do the trick, or alternatively a thin coating of any cyanoacrylate-based glue (Krazy Glue, nail glue, etc.) will work as well. I'd wager you could get away with epoxy or airplane glue as well, and it would probably be easier to remove than cyanoacrylates.

4. Sxethang

Sxethang Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    I really want to upgrade, how long you think before we see that batch issue fixed?

5. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
  6. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Here's Apple's official statement:

[​IMG]

7. This sounds familiar...

Patient: "Hey, doc, it hurts every time I do this."
    Doctor: "So stop doing that."

8. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Yeah, no phone I've owned has ever dropped every single bar solely because I was holding it wrong.

9. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Funny thing is, Steve Jobs is left handed. So he's just designed a phone that will lower the signal when he uses it in his left hand.

10. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I tend to use my non dominant hand to hold the phone as it leaves my right hand free to use.

Where's my free bumper apple?!

11. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Other Mobile Phones with Similar Signal Loss Issues

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/24/other-mobile-phones-with-similar-signal-loss-issues/

Several readers have pointed out that, as per Steve Jobs statement, other mobile phones also suffer from similar signal degradation while being held tightly.

In fact, a support thread for Google's Nexus One described a very similar issue back in February:

Another user filmed this video of his Nokia 6230 showing the same phenomenon:

12. Awe

Awe Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2009
    #52 Awe, Jun 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
    Attention: Hodapp

I just want to say, your lone-ranger battle here to tell everyone that there's no way this problem exists is coming across as extremely rude- especially to those who are disgruntled about shilling out $300 and a 2-year plan who are experiencing this problem (myself included). It is obviously a problem; it has been reported by Engadget, Gizmodo, Techradar, etc.

Not trying to smear you or anything, as I generally respect your opinion, but I just want to let you know you are probably going to cause some ill-feelings to those who are experiencing this very real problem.

Thanks

13. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Working in the cellphone industry for a few years I can say it's a problem with a lot of older handsets (Samsung sync and blackjack for example) but the raw majority of newer phones don't have this issue. I have done speed tests and confirm that it truly drops by more then half. That right there is unacceptable for a $300 phone. Like I said it doesn't effect me personally because I use a case and that solves any issue (aside from my sim card errors) but at the very least apple could shell out a free bumper....

14. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    I knew the answer when I saw the problem, "Buy a case (the Bumper, why do you think they actually made it?), or deal with it" My answer, Dont buy it :D JK

15. Scaramoosh

Scaramoosh Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    #55 Scaramoosh, Jun 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
    I've never had a problem with holding a phone and losing signal before. IT seems like a real big design flaw that holding it with your left hand will cause to lose signal. Frigging when chatting to someone, I don't think "don't cover the bottom left of the phone" lol.

16. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I lol'd when I saw this on engadget:

[​IMG]

17. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    Lol.

Personally I believe Apple designs all their products to look good, but they want you to break it, because holding it in any other position, is like setting yourself up to break it.

18. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Sorry but the "Don't hold the phone that way" and "Buy a bumper" responses are the most FAIL I've ever, ever seen.

19. GBX

GBX Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Although this is a pretty big fail on Apple's part (when don't they fail in some way or another anyways?) I really don't know anyone that doesnt use a case for their iPhone so looks like for ME this will be a non-issue.

20. heffdog116

heffdog116 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    South Florida
    +1. I never noticed an issue, but I have an i-frogz and a bumper, so it should take care of that. This phone is sleek as hell and too slippery to not have it protected imho. Bumpers seem like a waste, but after you have one in your hand, theyre great.