Issues @ iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Bramsey89, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Scaramoosh

Scaramoosh Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Man that's a pretty big design flaw to be overlooked, probably what they made bumpers for when you preorder it lol. I'll wait until they have a 2nd revision of the phone and they've fixed this lol.

2. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    tested on 3gs and nokia 6230 - signal drops, not that much but still 1-2 bars.

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

From another forum:

I tend to agree.

4. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

hahaha

5. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head

Actually I disagree, My iphone 2g, and 3gs all had perfect signal at my house, My iphone 4 does as well, but with no case and holding it by the adjoining antennas the signal rapidly dissapears.. Now this doesn't mean that I can't make calls, but I do lose my 3g, and have zero bars. I can still make calls but it shows zero signal. Could be software or hardware not sure but it does correlate with me holding the phone so I would say a mixture of both (Hardware and Software)...

Now the REAL issue I'm getting, and I'm not the only one (reports are showing up on mac rumors) is that my phone will randomly show "No Sim". It has done this 4 times in less then 24 hours, for me this is a bigger issue then the dissappearing signal bars, as it actually renders my phone usless and I have to eject the sim. I have missed phone calls due to this because I pull the phone out of my pocket and see "No sim" and I have no idea how long it has been doing that unless I'm checking it frequently... I called applecare this morning, and she said she hasn't heard of the issue but to take it into the apple store next week after the rush dies down...

Guess that's what I get for being an early adopter... FML

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I just find it very hard to believe Apple's engineers didn't take people actually holding or using the phone in to account when designing the antenna.

7. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    That "No Sim" issue sounds even worse. What about the yellow patches? Are you getting those?

I'm glad I held off from getting it at launch. I'm planning on getting a factory unlocked one here in the UK, I wonder if they are having the same problem?

8. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Well it seems there is a flaw somewhere... I'm not imagining this, the 3g and bars dissappear, like I said I still can make calls but if you do a speed test there is serious drops in data transfer rates when holding it.. Like I said for me it's not really a big deal since I've had a case on it and didn't even notice til this morning after I read the tech blogs, I had to test it for myself, and low and behold mine does it too...:(

But using a case fixes the problem, so hopefully apple will give out free bumpers or something, but the SIM issue is a MUCH bigger issue for me... MUCH BIGGER...

9. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head

Yes the sim issue is seriously bugging me, and they didn't even include a sim tool!!! As for the screen, nope mine is perfect and looks amazing! Oh well I'm sure Apple will fix the problem whatever it is, I just may have to return it within my 30 days and get another one assuming they'll be in stock by then...

10. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    read this: http://bit.ly/aSncmK

11. Huh ... that actually makes sense. Good to know this isn't a problem with the LCD display itself.

Not so surprising actually: Remember, when Apple employees were field testing these things, they were encased in stealth-iPhone 3G cases. So it could be the one thing they did to hide these phones from the public during testing is the one thing that they forgot to actually test -- or never thought to test. Though it seems odd that not one engineer might have thought, "You know, exposed antennas, contact with human skin ... call me crazy, but this might not work so well..."

12. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    #32 K.D!, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
    Hmmmm, I got my iPhone 4 this morning (UK) and whilst I haven't experienced the yellow spots I do notice the antenna signal drop when I hold the sides which is a bit annoying really. However, I have encountered something else. I don't know if this is exclusive to the iPhone 4 or whether it happens with older devices too, though it never happened to my 3G, but the app icons have all gone blank. Not the pre-installed ones but just the games and apps I've downloaded myself. The images were there at first but after turning my phone off and then back on, they've just become grey squares. They still work as normal but it's really annoying to look at. Syncing and rebooting hasn't fixed it so far :

[​IMG]

13. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Tonnes of weird crap happening all over the shop mate. Makes me feel really glad that I didn't put down my hard earned cash for it now. Hope you sort out the problems soon.

14. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Yeah, it's really weird. Restoring my iPhone from the last backup has managed to rectify the problem (lets hope it doesn't happen again as that will soon become very irritating).

15. Sxethang

Sxethang Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Okay so I went into the Applestore to see the new 4g. I asked about the antenna issue and was told that this has been a known issue since the 3G, that it is a display/software issue and that an update would be made available shortly. The antenna is not covered under warranty. Still wondering the big question, to buy or not to buy? It is real sexy, but it's like playing Russian Roulette.

16. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I think the Apple worker is telling porky pies.
    It hasn't been a known issue since the 3G - The antenna is all internal on the older models and I would of heard about this anyway. And trying to put the blame on software is just crazy.

Unless you're left handed, you should get one. I don't really care about the antenna issue - the only time I need good reception is when I'm talking on the phone (when I'm holding it with my right hand, the antenna thing is no longer an issue). I'll get one as soon as they come back in stock here in the UK, which will probably take like a month :(

17. swishinj

swishinj Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    CEO at Apple Inc.
    If you use bumper case it prevents this! Vid proof at url at top of thread. Scroll down the link 2 find it.

18. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Yeah pay Apple $30 more to fix a problem that shouldn't have been allowed in the furst place:cool:

19. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    I had this issue too...it's very odd...don't know why apple didn't catch this before they released it, I've heard that a bunch of people are also having this problem.

20. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Bingo! They shouldn't allow this kind of stuff to happen right out of the gate.