iShoot Developer Quits Day Job

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by arn, Jan 14, 2009.

1. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I know that this makes people want to develop, but it isn't that easy. The SDK is certianly above my head, and I can't recommend you to try it. I would start with some books, and look at the SDK (Intel Mac only).

2. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Meh, thought so. So much is rarely easy :rolleyes: These stories are awesome motivation, though.

3. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Nope, sure haven't quit. TanZen has been around since the end of July, and even off the top 100 games list, today it would still be entirely possible to replace my job as a software developer. But, as I support four other people besides myself, living off just one app is not what I consider secure. Sales go up and down, all the time.

4. brewstermax

If whatever you have planned is any good, and then the next thing, I could consider it then, but even the greatest app at $.99 (except iFart) won't bring in all that much money.

5. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    #25 Little White Bear Studios, Jan 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
    You're absolutely correct. But I think everyone can agree that the App Store is a gamble, where most people lose. So it really depends on how confident you are in being able to maintain your current lifestyle on variable app sales.

6. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    The thing is, his isn't the first version of this game on the iPhone. I played a variant of it about three months ago.

I agree. I've been as high as #12 in the store, as well as not even on the top 100 games list, and all points in between. Living off one app is dangerous. Now 4-5 apps, that's a different story. :)

7. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    What do you consider a reasonable amount of money to make per day, for an indie game?

8. AppStoreGamer

AppStoreGamer Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Interesting....this is the ONLY developer I've heard who recommends lite versions....most developers say that if you're lucky, you'll get a 1-5% carry-over rate....apparently this is one of the first occurrences where a lite version made the app work.:eek:

9. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    God no. Trying to live off one app is practically financial suicide. But the whole point of him quitting his day job is so that he can develop more apps. It's all about diversifying your portfolio, aka not putting all your eggs in one basket. And this is a great time for him to do it. Look at all the attention he is getting now. Next time he puts something out, people are bound to take notice. And as we all know, the key to success in the App Store is visibility. He has the potential to get a LOT of visibility for his future projects.

Yes, that's what I want to know. What's his secret? Anybody have any theories? Did he just craft his Lite version perfectly, giving users just enough to get them addicted, but still craving that satisfying feeling of blowing Lincoln's face off of Mount Rushmore?

10. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    I've been tooting the Lite version horn in dev forums for months. I get the 1-2% carry-over, no doubt. But when you're talking about anywhere from 5,000 - 10,000 Lite copies downloaded per day, that's better than any other sort of advertising. Of course, Lite versions only work if people like your app.

11. brewstermax

I would consider approximately between $150 and $300 to be enough, per day to live off of a game. More is alway better, but I wouldn't risk in unless I had $200+ consistent for weeks, per day. That is barely enough, but it's enough to scrape by. $500 is far safer, IMO, but at $300, and it was consistent, and I had at least one more game on the way, I may try.

That's just me, but for a family of your's size, I'd say to say $500 minimum, a day. That may be ambitious, but I couldn't depend on the App Store to satisfy my needs forever. I need to save, and developing doesn't have the benefits of a real job. i.e. health insurance, 401(k), etc.

BTW, I won another former TPP player over to Tanzen today.

12. brewstermax

No, I don't have the full version, and the lite version does leave me wanting more. It is very short, but leaves a good taste.

13. AppStoreGamer

AppStoreGamer Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Yes...good point. This is A LOT better than any advertising out there (and a lot cheaper). The true gamble is (like you said before) is if your game/lite version will be recognized or even liked. After all, people get mad when you set restrictions but thats the whole point to a lite version, right? You don't wanna give them everything...just enough to keep them wanting more. Did iShoot do this? In my opinion, it didn't give me much incentive to want to go out and spend $3 on it. I love the lite version and am still scratching my head as to how iShoot sky-rocketed that fast. It truly is a gamble...but at least iFart Mobile's off the #1 spot....FINALLY

14. brewstermax

Ok, in the lite version, you cannot move, and you only have 6 weapons. It is limited, but is good enough that I will probably get the full version tomorrow.

15. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Agreed. I'm just surprised at the impulse decision. But I'm going to assume he's single, as my wife would kill me if I quit my job because of a couple days worth of success with a single product. Now, after a month of continued success, and a million in the bank, that's when I'd probably take the situation more seriously.

My Lite version does extremely well, in nearly every country. My advice is to make it good enough to be its own game, for at least 30-60 minutes. If you can, don't cripple it. Just provide less content. If you're not a content app, limit one of the features of the app that makes it run longer. And most of all, give them an easy way to buy the full version.

16. BlackBeards Revenge had good success (but not this good!) off it's lite version too.

17. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    It's entirely possible to make $300 on a $0.99 app, every day, even off the top 100 games list. Non-U.S. sales help.

Yeah, I'd say minimum $500 per day, consistently for months, would be getting closer to reasonable.

Thanks! Every little bit helps!

18. Knight

Knight Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Game Developer
    Your feedback regarding the Lite helped us be confident in releasing a Lite version. Interesting thing is that we submitted the Lite last week to Apple before iShoot even got to the top, so thank you for that :).

Although for us the Lite is a gamble still. Our sales were just ok before the update, and got much better after, but the rest of the week will tell us if we made the right decision or not.

On topic though, I wouldn't even dream of quitting my job with the current sales rate for 7 Cities. But with more time, we can definetely do a better game. Sigh.

19. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    I'm amazed at the number of people who write me, or leave reviews, not understanding what a Lite version is. They want more puzzles, or get upset because the game only took them an hour to complete. Emailers honestly had no idea that it was a free taste for a real game.

20. Warhorse Games

Warhorse Games Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Software Engineer
    Ladera Ranch, CA
    The lite version definitely helped with Blackbeard's Assault. I wasn't even going to do one but Little White Bear Studios mentioned how it helped their sales so I went for it. So thanks, Little White Bear!

You have to be careful with your lite version and really give people a reason to get the full... obviously iShoot got it right :eek: