Is this possible?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by brewstermax, Dec 31, 2008.

1. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Is it possible to make an app that runs other apps inside of it. Like a seperate OS, but inside Apple's little sandbox. Is that possible. No, I'm not asking if it is practical, but withing the SDK and the restrictions that Apple has, is it possible to create, say a Linux app, that can run other apps? That would be great if possible.

2. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    nope. And its not at all practical.

3. cjh625

cjh625 Active Member

Dec 6, 2008
    i...ipod linux?

4. brewstermax

I'm not asking if its practical, but would it be possible. I get that jailbreak is working on dual boot, but could you develop an app that says Linux, and run it, and install other apps onto the Linux OS. I guess it would be slow, but really, I don't see how it would break the SDK/NDA/communistic rule of Apple. I want to see if its possible.

5. netsyd

netsyd Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Sys Admin
    Colorado
    Technically it could be possible - almost anything is possible. BUT, would apple allow it into the store? Never. I can only imagine the number of rules it would break with the SDK.

6. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Interesting theory, I would like to know as well...

7. jonaswills

jonaswills Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Washington
    Your talking about a virtual machine basically... it is entirely possible but would be a lot of work and run very slow...

But you could also write some sort of interpreter application that could run some scripting language so the dev could update their content without Apple, but I'm not sure Apple would allow this.

8. brewstermax

Yes. Basically, thats it exactly. I think it would be slow, but with Xfe or another lightweight environment, and some optimization, I don't think it would be too bad. It would be a great concept idea, but I don't think that Apple would have any grounds to reject it.

In the second paragraph, Apple does allow that. Look at Cube Runner, Dropship, and Labyrinth. They all have OTA level downloads. I think that this would be basically the same difference.

9. AppStoreGamer

AppStoreGamer Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Apple specifically says no Virtual Machines or Emulators...thats why there aren't any Gamy Boy emulators in the App Store