Is this a scam? (someone wants to buy rights to my app)

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by beardysoftware, Mar 30, 2019.

1. beardysoftware

beardysoftware Active Member

Jun 18, 2015
    So I got this email today, and the thing that is really throwing me off is it's from a very Russian email address:

"I am a purchasing manager of native iOS apps.

We are interested in your application. We want to buy it from you and we are ready for a pennyworth.

Are you ready to cooperate with us?

Please give feedback (any answer).

Thank you."

Has anyone gotten anything like this? My head is telling me it's a scam, but i did a search on this email, and didn't find anyone else mentioning something like it. I would think that if the Russians wanted my app, they'd just clone it themselves? It's not particularly complex.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Have they got a 'legit' website ? I mean i know even fake ones can be set up. But if you google about them do you see other companies mention their games or that ?

Does sound very risky. Was the email address legit ? Or just like a russian hotmail type address ? As i see lots like that

3. beardysoftware

beardysoftware Active Member

Jun 18, 2015
    There was no company named, and it was just a russian gmail address. I responded just to get more details, and they said they are a russian company buying up games, and were willing to pay up to $400 per game. Which is WAY too low for me to even consider selling for, even if it were on the up and up. o_O
    Oh well ... thought for a little bit there I might have a tiny chance at a big payday! LOL

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah I mean anyone could set up an email account like that. Stay well clear. They could have meat gone to the trouble of showing a real website to look legit

Stay well clear !!