Is there any problem to save games in itunes on 2 computers?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Qordobo, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Not sure this is the right section of the forums but it's about saving the games in itune so it's probably roughly relevant. :D

I need switch temporary of computer but I had too many crash in past to not make regular backup.

The problem is with my iPad I need use some time without to have my current computer. And I was wondering if use itunes temporary to synchronize in this second computer with the same itune account will involve some problems of any sort.

2. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Just music and videos bought from iTunes will cause you problems. I have backup on two PCs just in case. But, only sync with one. I only worry about my apps.

3. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    Ok thanks, I haven't quoted you could backup the app without to synch it's more the reverse I saw.

Yes the app is handy too but at first it was for all game saves on my ipad. But the app will be a problem, those I removed from the ipad. But at least I'll have a list and could later re install them to backup them on my main computer.

My iPad backup on my main computer is in fact double backup through Time Machine, very handy.

4. f e a r l e s s

Mar 12, 2009
    Hope all goes well for you.

5. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    Not at all in fact, nothing ugly happen but now I tried I have discovered I can't synchronize on two computers.

Like if some synchronization data is saved on the iPad. :rolleyes: I suppose I just met one of those stupid Apple design totally crazy, they are rare and usually rather good but when you met one of those crazy stuff, it make you think they are all mad or something. :D

That makes me wonder if I'll lost all my saves when I'll have to definitely switch to another computer. :eek:

6. f e a r l e s s

Mar 12, 2009
    Sorry I didn't make it clear that you can only sync with one computer. You can make backups to multiple computers, though. Not sure if the 5 device limit applies. All your saves are stored in the backups.

7. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Such is the way of Apple. Each device can be synced with only one computer at a time. No adultery in the iDevice world :(

8. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    I don't understand this point of backup. I never seen any backup option, it's just the first phase of the synchronization?

This synchronization allowed on only one computer seem meaning that when I'll change my computer, which is in its 5th year, I'll lost all my saves and will have to install again all ap.

That seems totally crazy.

9. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    Mmm ok I think I have found how synchronize on two computers except perhaps the music.

I haven't tried and it's heavy but at least it's probably how you can change your computer used for synchronizing an iPad.

Your itune library is stored in a folder, go in preferences to see where. If you copy all the files from one computer library to another then at synchronization itunes won't try remove the applications or other stuff on your ipad. It's both that simple (haven't tried) but also very complicated if you use this trick to synchronize on two computers. Because each time a file is copied to the itune library on your computer, you'll have copy it manually on the the second computer. It's possible that some synchronization tool allow manage it more easily but without breaking itunes library is another matter.

Also if for the applications that won't be complicated, for music there's also a file and not only the music files. But at least it's the way to migrate to a new computer.