Is there any good way to promote our games?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by jc82111, Jul 5, 2012.

1. jc82111

jc82111 Active Member

May 16, 2012
    Game & Software Designer
    Mainland China
    Thank you very much! We are updating the Turtle Rescue game at the moment, the next version (Chapter 2) is about the inner world of the uncle Terry, he got the great power from a sword after he beat the monsters, but the something happen to him...

Thank you for your recommendation!

2. peterthomas

peterthomas Active Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Youtube review along with some app reviewing sites as well as getting reviews on itunes will cover most of your promotional campaign... Ads does not work very well in the promotional campaigns of the iPhone application.

3. jc82111

jc82111 Active Member

May 16, 2012
    Game & Software Designer
    Mainland China
    Yes, most people suggest me post video on youtube, I'm in China, youtube is blocked here, I tried before, very difficult to upload with a proxy. I think you guys are right, youtube is very helpful. So no matter how difficult it is, I'll do that. At the moment, I'm uploading a video with proxy today (very very very slow you just can't imagine)

I wrote to many review sites, but most of them didn't reply me. And at the end of the day, none of them review my games. I think maybe the way I wrote wasn't attract them. Has anybody got an idea how I could attract the editors?

About Ads, very very expensive, first of all, they require you change you game price to free on a certain day, then you got to paid them several grands for a 24 hours promotion activities, some site also ask you for some promo codes. I don't know whether you got any guarantee from those site? And I don't think most of small developer like me can afford Ads.

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    If theres not a thread for these in the games section its fine for the dev to start one (dont duplicate them though or write 'i've just found this great game...' ) etc.

I normally try to check out the screenshots or a video, then look at the comments. I must admit if the comments are a bit 'cheesy' i sometimes ignore the app. For Starry Sky i mean one of the comments is "Stunning graphics with a clever 3d interface make this game so playable, you would not want to put this down' just sounds way too false to me. Perhaps i'm wrong but that actual review would put me off

The brickbreaker game looks good but i personally hate games which say 'the best brickbreaker game for all ages' etc. I'm sure every dev thinks their game is the best ever.

But create a new thread for these games in case they werent picked up when they first came out.

But for me if i'm not sure about a game i'll look for reviews on a few iOS websites, look for a youtube video, user comments on the game thread here and also check out the app reviews.

But again a new thread here might get some interest, people talking about the games, if a few forum regulars play your game and say its good i'll often buy it based on their reviews (not silly one line reviews on the app store). So people i 'trust' i tend to get similar games.

5. jc82111

jc82111 Active Member

May 16, 2012
    Game & Software Designer
    Mainland China
    Thank you for you advice. I understand that reviews are important to a game, I think I'm gonna try to email more review sites, and encourage people write reviews in the App Store.

by the way, when the first time I read that review which you quote, I feel so happy.

The name of the brick game maybe not very appropriate. I'll think about another one.

You also mention youtube. I love youtube, but upload to youtube is a nightmare in China. I'm still keep on trying.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yes you mentioned the youtube videos and China, shame as obviously they really help.

I try now to do as many reviews as i can to the app store, if i really like a game i like to spend a few minutes writing a decent review. As to me one liners 'sometimes' do put me off. Say a Gameloft game has 7000 reviews and most are 5/5, i try and look for a review which is a few sentences long as otherwise they 'sometimes' appear fake to me.

I mean take a look at this site, in the promo section people write 5/5 reviews just to try and win a few dollars of a gift voucher, so it makes a whole mockery of the review system (another reason why people dont take it so seriously). So i always try and write a longer review so its not like a bot/some kid whos taken a bribe has written it.

7. jc82111

jc82111 Active Member

May 16, 2012
    Game & Software Designer
    Mainland China
    I just spent a whole day to upload a video to youtube, finally I did it. but for some reason, youtube double record my video. So you'll see it play twice. I think for any developer in China, North Korea, Cuba etc. Definitely need a great proxy to upload the video.

My video is not good enough, I'll do a better one. But any way, it's a good start, right?

About the review in the App Store, I think people first of all will check out the 5 screenshots, then they gonna read the review. At least that's what I do. I don't appreciate developers give iTunes gift cards for 5 star reviews. but I think 5 star review actually works, that's why more and more developers run this kind of promotion activities today.

I mean most people will judge the quality of the game by how many 5 stars they have got, right?

I think people like you who give honest and long reviews are very nice, sot that developers can quickly realize what is good and what is bad about their game.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #28 psj3809, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
    I personally wouldnt. Take this website, theres a section where devs offer a voucher for basically good reviews http://forums.toucharcade.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22 (No way will some kid get the voucher if he leaves a 1/5 review). So if this one section of this website does it imagine how many other websites there are out there basically 'buying' 5/5 reviews. The people on those threads here should be ashamed.

So i dont personally believe many of those 5/5 reviews on iTunes as to me most of them have been 'bought'. You can often tell an honest review rather than someone who simply wants to win a voucher and has put 5/5.

9. jc82111

jc82111 Active Member

May 16, 2012
    Game & Software Designer
    Mainland China
    I saw some "review to win iTunes Gift Card" threads , but I didn't notice there are many this kinda threads here. Thank you for telling me that.

Apple don't sell iTunes Gift Cards in China, even if it did, I'm not gonna do that, because if what the people up to are gift cards, like you said, they only say good things and give 5 stars, this is not good for developer to improving the game.

Thank you for share experience with me!

10. andy.j

andy.j Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Eh,Could you tell me how to give out promo codes in TA forums,thanks.

11. Braceface

Braceface New Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Hi guys, i'm new here. Was reading this thread and was wondering whether anyone could shed light on promoting my app in the forum. If i start a thread in the iPhone app category will i get banned? Or is it okay if i just put up my links there?

I'm currently also in the process of marketing my app, so i'm really glad i found this thread! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

12. infoleather

infoleather New Member

Sep 20, 2012
    IT
    New York
    #33 infoleather, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
    They regularly launch of the game trying to mislead the players think it is an iPhone version of Contra, Metal Slug or some other great arcade title. When women buy Chain strap shoulder bag, they buy women bags at cwmalls.com no matter how many they maybe just as long as it can feed their fancy. Choose best Black chain strap bag can only happen at limited time though and not always.

13. windrider07

windrider07 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    @Bracface, yes you can promote your app on these forums but make sure you post in the correct category.

In regards to promoting an app, best thing I can say is make sure your app is great, original, and unique. Post a video on youtube and partner up with people....spread your game and make it go viral. Encourage people to post and promote your press material. If the big sites don't promote your game, start small and then go big and just keep updating your game.

14. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    There's no need to fear you because you're full of hot air. In fact you sound more like a petulant child losing a flame war than a professionally run publishing house.

The exceptions you listed in your own argument is the end of any court case right there. The assets in the two games in question are clearly not directly copied, nor is the gameplay identical.

You can't copyright gameplay ideas in the first place else there'd be almost no games at all. If you think some random joe on the internet might have stolen your source code (clearly he didn't), then you'd spend your time better by improving your security instead of threatening to sue someone with no money.