Is there a way...

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by rjsim, Oct 26, 2008.

1. rjsim

rjsim Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2008
    I created a simple table based app that has a college basketball team schedule with info (date, time, TV coverage). I'm not planning on selling it... just for my own personal use. I thought I didn't have to pay $99 to put it on my iPod touch but I guess I was wrong. There isn't a way to get my app on my iPod touch is there (without paying $99)?

2. Dimsum

Dimsum Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Short version:
    Jailbreak your Touch and then SSH the app into the applications directory.

Long version:
    You will need to jailbreak first - once you have done that you will need to install OpenSSH via Cydia which will be an option during the jailbreaking. Then using WinSCP (Windows - not sure about Mac equivalent) just transfer the app into the applications folder and change CHMOD it to 775 and after restarting your Touch - it should appear on the springboard.

You don't specify what version your Touch is, but if it is the new one then you cannot jailbreak it yet.

3. rjsim

rjsim Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2008
    I have the 2g iPod touch so it looks like I'm out of luck. Rasphberries...

4. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    Either jail break it or pay the 100 bucks, In the long run paying the 100 bucks is going to be easier then jail breaking it. Plus its only 100 bucks.

5. Manta Research

Manta Research Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    If you have a developer friend, you can get them to compile your code with their ad-hoc profile using your UDID. If you don't know anyone, let me know and I can do this for you. I'll need your source code and UDID.

6. rjsim

rjsim Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Manta - Sent you a PM.