Is there a way to sell old apps?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by ipod's rock, Nov 1, 2010.

1. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Whats the difference between pirating apps and music?

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The gaming industry isn't as corrupt and greedy, you can buy a game knowing you're paying the developer. I still pay for my music, just in a more direct way, thus likely helping out the artists more than you and all the other people on the high horse do. Enjoy the view though, it's all you've got.

3. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Nice :rolleyes:

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I thought so.

5. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I've gone through this before.

Selling a product includes marketing. Marketing is dedicated to enticing the vast pool of consumers out there to become interested in a particular product (the product you're selling). Those who become interested become potential consumers of that product. Whether they become actual consumers is up to a variety of things, but if interest is struck then the potential is there for a sale.

If one downloads a non-legit copy (pirated copy) then interest has been proved, and one was, for all intents, a potential consumer of the product. After all, if one was totally uninterested in the product, one wouldn't go through the time to download said product.

Sans non-legit ways to enjoy the product (piracy), the only way to procure the product and enjoy it would be to buy the product. But piracy provides the opportunity to fulfill enjoyment without payment. Hence the potential that might have been actualized will most likely never be actualized.

Let's go back to the shoplifting scenario that most piracy pundits like to trot out, and redirecting a favorite "defense" of piracy ("I was never gonna buy it anyway"). Who is to say the person stealing the purse would've bought it? Who is to say that anyone would've bought it? After all, loads of products on store shelves remain unsold yearly, are stored in warehouses, and, if liquidation attempts fail, might be thrown away outright (*points to landfill in desert filled with E.T. cartridges, and boxes of unsold garments left for the garbage collectors in NYC's fashion district).

Again, potential sales are lost in both physical and digital cases.

BUT...the potential for more financial loss occurs with the digital cases. Why? That purse that is stolen from a store represents ONE lost potential sale. That digital copy? That is usually MASSIVELY redistributed, so it represents a much greater potential loss.

Not saying that copyright infringement fits within the definition of "stealing", but those engaging in it sure as hell are hurting the ability for those holding copyright to make the most gains they can. So, y'know...it is kinda fudged up either way.

I just wish people would be straight up with why they do it. Don't give the usual silly, easily argued away excuses of "corporate greed" or "quality" or this that or the other thing. Just be straight up: people download illegal copies because they want things for free and don't wish to part with their money. Simple as that. I swear some piracy folks remind me of the drug dealers I grew up around going on about doing what they did "'cause they gotta feed [their] kids". Mofo, I usually responded, buying gold chains and 20" rims for your car ain't got a damned thing to do with feeding your kids, you just don't want to work an actual job and potentially earn a lot less money".

6. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    While the corruption of the music industry has been well established, there exists the potential for creators of music (song writers, composers) to retain rights over their written work. Same with writers. In the comic book industry, there is the whole "creator's rights" movement.

I've not seen the same sort of thing exist in the game industry. But, then again, it is a more highly collaborative industry. Same with the film industry.

7. playtimeover

playtimeover New Member

Nov 10, 2010
    #67 playtimeover, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
    I am just curious, what is the relation of a woman sleeping with da shiz wiz 19 and to winning the lottery? Could you explain it to me furtherly? Thanks..

8. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    After you have sex with a woman, lots of coloured balls with numbers drop out of her.
    So it's kind of like playing bingo.

Don't worry, you'll figure it all out someday.

9. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    I just wish they wouldn't leave such a mess - and for some reason the recycle depot won't take the balls either...