Is there a way to sell old apps?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by ipod's rock, Nov 1, 2010.

1. danrel

danrel Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Software dealings-with-er, Illustrator
    Central NC
    I wasn't telling you anything, I was posing a question, and a hypothetical one at that.

Bootlegging the hypothetical television shows that I mentioned could potentially cause the television networks or the cable companies to 'lose' money in that you wouldn't have to buy their service in order to watch that programming. I just said that it wasn't for sale by the studios as in sold via DVD or digital download, etc. Now how do you feel about it?

2. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    It's just a ****ing shame that the ****ing artists don't actually ****ing get much of the ****ing profit for ****ing creating the ****ing product.

3. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    *CLAP*

Bravo, that was wonderful Electric!

4. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    :p...

5. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009

6. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Was I ever going to buy the downloaded item?

No.

Am I making it so the creator cannot sell the downloaded item?

No.

Am I taking the item away from the creator so he/she purposely will not have it?

No.

Am I (personally) going to redistribute said item?

No.

Or a mathematical equation if you will:

Let 'X' equal the money the creator will receive from me initially.
    Let 'Y' equal the money the creator will receive total.

X = 0

Y - X = Y

I will in no way affect the money he receives. At all.

7. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    Its not a question of whether you were going to buy it or not, it's a question of whether you wanted it.

If you dont want it, you wouldn't download it, legal or illegal.

But by downloading it illegally, you are showing that you did want it. You had two option to obtain it, steal it or pay for it. You chose steal it and didn't give the developer any money.

When you go to buy a car do you tell yourself "I will not pay money for that car" or do you say "I do not want that car"? Business is not based off the consumer's willingness to part with his money, but rather his wants and needs.

8. Brazilian Rider

Mar 6, 2009
    A car is not a good example because a car is necessary.

For example, consider this analogy:

A man buys ice cream, clones it and offers to give it to you. You were in the mood for ice cream, but you weren't going to buy any because you didn't have the money. However, since the man decided to invent a cloning machine and clone his ice cream, you were able to get some too.

[Note: You probably climbed into his white van afterwards and were raped. Just sayin'.]

9. Brazilian Rider

Mar 6, 2009
    Also, technically, if someone makes a copy of something, aren't they the creator of that copy?

10. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    #50 da shiz wiz 19, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
    I contemplated arguing against that analogy when considering Midian's analogy. You can't use a non-existent technology in an analogy, cloning shit like Ice Cream can't be done, yet (at least of what I know of). But we can still go with it:

Copyright infringment.

But you really can't use cloning in an analogy since once regulations are passed on this technology, cloning objects maybe (will probably be) considered piracy and would make this whole analogy worthless.

I also don't understand this line:
    [Note: You probably climbed into his white van afterwards and were raped. Just sayin'.]

What was the point of that? It wasn't funny, manly or cool. Just makes you look like a dick.

11. Brazilian Rider

Mar 6, 2009
    Wait, wait, wait...

You're calling me the dick? Last I remember, I wasn't a walking mirror...

12. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    #52 madmud101, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
    Jesus! There are so many analogies in this thread! I can't keep track.

Ok, so your case rests on that you weren't going to buy the game anyway, but thought if I can procure this for free then I may as well get it because it seems fun.
    Therefore the developer does not lose any money from piracy.

However, you have to agree that your piracy influences others to pirate as well.
    For example, if I was with a friend and he was showing his large catalogue of games bragging that he did not have to pay one penny for it all, then that will certainly make me think 'oh well if he got his games for free then surely I should'.

I think one important issue we have to think about here is the developers. For example (yet another analogy) a man has worked months, or even years working on a game. A project that he has devoted his life to.

The end result is highly successful, and a must-have game on the AppStore. However, the man realises that his creation is being played by people who have not payed for it. Even though they may not have bought the game otherwise, it is highly unfair for his work that he has spent years on is being enjoyed by pirates who have not given any gratitude or acknowledgement for him at all in terms of financial gain.

You can't say whether you would have bought the game if the option of piracy wasn't open. At the time of pirating the game, you may have only been mildly interested, but over time, your interests may grow and urge you to get the game. In the end, it would be much better for the developer if 1 game was bought compared to 100 copies being pirated.

Edit: We need to change the thread title. :)

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    We weren't talking about developers in the first place, I buy all of my games.

14. Brazilian Rider

Mar 6, 2009
    I don't pirate stuff, I was just posting a humorous analogy that fit in with the conversation.

15. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Well developers have certainly got a lot to do with pirating of games.

But anyway, thank goodness that's all sorted.

16. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    Hahah too bad I swore to get my point across. Reread it and see if I insulted anyone.

17. Brazilian Rider

Mar 6, 2009
    Lol, if you reread mine carefully, you'll see that if I wasn't talking to you either bud.

18. ipod's rock

ipod's rock Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2010
    okayyy... what if I want to sell my iPod with apps on it? will they be able to keep them when they snyc it to their computer?

19. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    Oh yeah because saying this to someone isn't meant to offend or insult them at all:

"[Note: You probably climbed into his white van afterwards and were raped. Just sayin'.]"

20. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Take it outside girls, this is boring.

@ipod's rock: No one can use your apps with out full and permanent access to your account. Don't do it.