Is there a way to sell old apps?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by ipod's rock, Nov 1, 2010.

1. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Worst possible analogy

2. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Completely true analogy.

Worst possible analogy would be:

A woman sleeping with da shiz wiz 19, and comparing it to winning the lottery.

3. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    #23 da shiz wiz 19, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
    Explain it

Not the part you added in

The personal attack you included is a terrible analogy. The chance of winning the lottery is one a million and the chance of a woman sleeping with me is a million for a million.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    BR's analogy was pretty damn good. Every time I see that anti-piracy advetisement on DVDs where it says in a threatening voice "YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A HANDBAG" I think "No, probably not... but I'm sure a little old woman wouldn't object to me cloning her handbag if it saved me a bit of money".

5. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    Are you f*cking kidding me.

You conviniently seem to forget that the people who you are stealing from made it and are selling it for a profit to sustain their life. Lets add a little detail into your analogy.

The woman makes the handbag and sells it for a profit at the mall, she carries it around to promote her products. She wouldn't let you clone the ****ing purse so you can save a little dough, because then she loses money since YOU NEVER PAID HER FOR HER ****ING PURSE.

Honestly this is the worst fing analogy I have ever heard.

6. danrel

danrel Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Software dealings-with-er, Illustrator
    Central NC
    You do have a point, but at the same time, stealing a physical object is much different than stealing a digital copy of something. Stealing digital copies of something will not necessarily hurt a sellers bottom line, whereas stealing a physical object that is for sale will because the person had to pay the overhead for the material and time put into crafting each individual product. Digital creation is mostly a one-off affair, in the creation process...

Either way it's stealing, but one is much less damaging to a business.

And BTW, something about you throwing the 'F' word around all willy-nilly makes me want to punch you in the face ;)

7. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    Honestly, this analogy makes me want to punch everybody in the face.

You raise a good point. But now the argument becomes "well they're losing less money if I do it this way."

Still stealing, still illegal, still hurting people.

8. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Piracy is wrong
    Peanut Butter no Jelly
    Got to have Jelly

How's that?

9. danrel

danrel Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Central NC
    You just can't get punching people off your mind can you? Now you're flaunting the fact that you go around stealing fools in the head...jeez man, you need therapy :p

10. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    Already punched the therapist in the face

lol it looks I like I said I punched the rapist in the face

11. danrel

danrel Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Central NC
    Good, the rapist deserved it.

12. Brazilian Rider

Mar 6, 2009
    theft [θɛft]
    n
    1. (Law) Criminal law the dishonest taking of property belonging to another person with the intention of depriving the owner permanently of its possession

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/theft

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Nah bro, she didn't make the purse, she's retired. The same way the guy I got the music from didn't make the music. I was never gonna splash out money on the purse in the first place.

14. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    I thought it was a pretty good analogy, until you somehow turned the little old lady into the creator of the handbag. What?

You're also assuming that if I wasn't able to pirate the product, then I would purchase it. Half the time, that is not the case.

Also assuming that the sale of the product is to sustain their life. It is not. It serves to sustain their lifestyle.

15. danrel

danrel Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Central NC
    #35 danrel, Nov 3, 2010
    This right here is the main reasoning behind what I've done before and most likely will again. If they were never getting my money for whatever the product is then it is not making them lose money. Not that I feel that it's right and everyone should just pirate all things digital.

The issue is that back in the prehistoric days(pre-digital) you could give someone something that you bought and there was no issue because it was only that one copy of whatever being passed on. Now with everything being digital, when you give that digital something to say, a friend, you're not giving them the one copy that you paid for, you are creating another copy, in essence.

Shiz, would you honestly find it so terrible if someone gave me a digital copy of something that they bought and deleted their personal copy. Even if it was seen as unlawful to the authorities? Serious question. Also, what about things that you are unable to legally purchase anymore? Say, old television shows that were bootlegged and put online because there was no other means for anyone to obtain it, since the studio never digitized it and made it available for sale?

16. Brazilian Rider

Mar 6, 2009
    Da Shiz's Answer:

That's the lamest fing example I've ever seen.

How would you like it if the lady who made the handbag had to have it deleted because I pirated it and it got passed on!?

You all f***ing suck. I swear to f****ing God. What tha f*** is wrong with you guys?! F***!

17. danrel

danrel Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Central NC
    You forgot to threaten to punch someone in the face :D

18. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    F***, F***, F***, F******************************! :p

19. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    #39 da shiz wiz 19, Nov 3, 2010
    Ha. Ha. I thought of that explanation after I posted that and thought out a response.

Fine, the old lady in fact bought the purse from a company in the mall. Any clone of that purse actually belongs to the company and distributing copies is illegal, something called copyright infringement (Copy right infringment: "Copyright is a statutory or common law right of authors, artists, and developers (or other holders of a copyright) to publish their works, and to prevent others from copying their works."

Guess what? Still ****ing illegal and people are still losing ****ing money.

So you're telling me that people who make these copies actually delete them forever and ever and never use it and never distribute it again? I wouldn't care if it's like one copy circulating, because then it's just like me letting my friends borrow some of my games. If they have it, I don't. So if I miss it, I get it back then they don't have it and if they want it they have to go buy it.

Things that you can't obtain anymore? Sure, go for it. It's not like anyone's really losing any money on that, since they're not really selling it. I wouldn't advocate this if it was, say, a motorcycle in your friend's basement.

20. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    In a similar vein, downloading current TV shows from different regions that aren't shown in your region are sometimes the only way to obtain them; apart from waiting and hoping they will be shown on local TV.