Is there a way to sell old apps?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by ipod's rock, Nov 1, 2010.

1. ipod's rock

ipod's rock Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Okay I am sick of a lot of apps that I have got and I want to know if there is a way to sell my old ones. I know a lot of people that will buy them but is there a way to sell them!!?! Please help
    thanks

2. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    You could sell your whole itunes account, I guess.

3. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Unless someone can confirm that it's possible to do this, I remain skeptical. The whole account is tied to you and your devices and your purchases.

4. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    #4 jecebn, Nov 1, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
    That's the one bad thing about digital media. You're paying money for non-tangible objects- as soon as you buy it, it's no longer worth anything (in an economic sense)

5. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
  6. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    It's not tied to your devices. You can change anything in your account. I'm not sure if TOS allow selling, though. Who reads that anyway...

7. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    yes, but what you effectively pay is close to trivial.

I mean do you think you can resell that hamburger you ate last Thursday?

8. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Including your name?

9. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Give them your username, give them your password done deal.

They can then authorise that computer and get any app the account has purchased.

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Think no one's ever changed their name before? People don't get married?

11. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Not only that, but as a nice bonus they get access to your credit card number, contact information, purchase history and similar personal information tied to the account such as OpenFeint and Game Center user info and achievements.

Furthermore, all iTunes reviews the new owner writes will be made under the original account owner's name. Take a moment to consider if getting twenty bucks for selling your iTunes account is worth the damage to your reputation when the next guy gets the idea that it'll be fun to write offensive reviews or bigoted comments with your credentials. As a cherry on top it will be an interesting conversation to explain your situation to Apple's customer service (or the department of homeland security...) in case you get screwed over.

In case it wasn't obvious from the above, sharing your account is risky, irresponsible and stupid. So let's summarize: "Selling your online identity is a bad idea. Don't do it."

12. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I share my account.

13. ipod's rock

ipod's rock Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2010
    I want my acount and most my apps but I only want to get rid of a few I don't use. Would I be able to take it to their house and sync my apps to their computer?

14. danrel

danrel Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Software dealings-with-er, Illustrator
    Central NC
    Nope, not without signing out of their iTunes account, then signing in with yours because all apps that you bought with your account are eternally tied to said account.

And if you pulled your apps into their library, then signed back in using their credentials, none of the apps that you put in their library would be usable because again, they tied to your account only.

15. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    You can't sell stuff that doesn't exist.

16. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

same here.

17. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I share my account with my wife. She's already got my credit cards and access to my bank account so I'm not too worried. ;)

Shared account + 4 devices = Instant multiplayer! :D

18. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    #18 dyscode, Nov 2, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
    do yourself a favor and just forget about it!

You cannot SELL ANY of your apps.
    It is NOT possible.

You can authorize up to 5 other computers/devices to share your account´s content but it still will be eternally and forever tied to your account until Apple ceases to exist and takes the AppStore with it.
    Also your sharing partner cannot get ANY updates until they sign into iTunes with your account.
    So either leave them you credit card directly or be prepared to visted them once a week to make sure they get their Retina or whatever-updates.

19. ArcheAngel

ArcheAngel Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    #19 ArcheAngel, Nov 2, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
    You can change just about everything in an iTunes account. You can take your credit card of file, you can have a fake name, fake number, fake email address even, you can change the password also...only thing you need is a valid address once an account has been established it can be purged of personal info, & you can change it to there address before you sell it to them asong as there willing to give it. The only thing real on my account info is my address.

Homeland security???? Seriously?? It's just an iTunes account.

Just be smart in who it is your considering selling it to....done deal.

20. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Which brings us to the next point:

Piracy is like somebody stealing your car, and it still being in your driveway in the morning.