Is there a better hand held device?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Brinkman, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Brinkman

Brinkman Well-Known Member

#1 Brinkman, Jun 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
    Seriously, I've owned almost every hand held device from back to the original orange on darker orange gameboy, to the NeoGeo Pocket, PSP, and the DS.

Nothing tops the iPhone/iPod Touch. The gaming catalog is so diverse, games range from classic PC releases like The Quest and Wolf3D, to more arcade type games like Blue Attack and Vector Tanks.

The system has everything, it can browse the internet, make phone calls, organize your life, take pictures, play movies and music, the list goes on.

It has no moving parts unlike the psp, it's smaller than a DS, it's more fucntional than anything else on the market in terms of 'the whole package'.

I don't know, it just really hit me today how amazing the iDevice's really are.

2. ATARI LYNX 4EVA.

Um ... seriously, yeah, iDevices are pretty awesome all things considered.

I still liked the Lynx...

3. dacool561

dacool561 Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2009
    I still love my DS on long trips, iPhone battery doesn't allow for that to be possible =P

4. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    for sure. My ds broke though I dropped it and the stupid hinge cracked. It works its just not comfortable to play. I want to get a new one so I can get fire emblem and then scribblenauts when that comes out in december, but there will almost definately be a new nintendo handheld next year so I am holding off. Nintendo would have launched one this year but the ds is still selling so well that it wouldn't make sense.

5. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Which is of course, what Apple are hoping for. That people become highly dependant, especially to the iPhone. That's why I only have an iPod Touch. I know if I got an iPhone, I'd be practically intravenously hooked to the thing day in day out. It would control my life. I can see it in the eyes of the friends I have with the iPhone. They look like they're in an unhappy marriage with the machine from hell. I can imagine it now...'hmm, a spare moment, what to do what to do, I know, I'll twiddle around mindlessly on my iPhone for no reason whatsoever', that'll pass some time'.

I love my iTouch, but you won't catch me with that iPhone creature:D

6. Brinkman

Brinkman Well-Known Member

Mine charges in my car while it's hooked up to the stereo ;)

7. sundance kid

sundance kid Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    eehhh
    BFE,AZ
    as much as i love the iphone and everything, i don't think anything ill ever beat pokemon among being fun and repayable beyond anything ever ha

love my iphone and its game but pokemon will never be beaten :)

8. Gamingfun

Gamingfun Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    It all depends on what you want. I'm still like my DS and play it quite often as I can't get enough rpgs which the genre really likes the DS as well :D That and it even has a GBA slot which expands the game selection to impossible to match range!

Then again I use my iPhone quite a lot and enjoy the fact that even when I only have my phone with me I'm only a thumb press away from gaming if I get bored somewhere.

9. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    #9 super6ft7, Jun 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
    with games

\.../
    .\./
    ./.\
    /...\

but with other stuff

...../
    ..../
    \_/

10. McGill

McGill Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    There are alot of extended batteries out there for iDevices, which double the life of the batteries...

Check out www.mophie.com & i think griffin makes one too...

11. inCase PowerSlider, I has it. Great battery case. Nice rubberized feel, excellent battery life. Mophie looks okay, but you need to get the JuicePack Air if you want full device coverage. (The original only covers the back and bottom; most of the sides and top remain exposed) I've heard some complaints about it being cheap, though.

12. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Sorry if this offends, but I can't resist...

The only better hand held devices I am aware of are X-rated...:D

13. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Disregarding the fact that iTouch/Phone is a mobile platform and the other things you mentioned where portable game systems (so, y'know, different markets, as different as PC and video game home consoles)...no...I don't think any of those was all around better than iTouch/Phone.

But, then again, that's because they couldn't do the things iTouch/Phone can. But, then again, that's because they were in a different market where such things weren't necessary. ;)

14. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    The iDevice has got to be at least the coolest piece of gadget to have right now since it does have a lot more functions compared to the dsi and psp. I don't think the psp can play music and play a game at the same time, unless it's been custom-firmwared. :)

On a side note: there are other mobile makers trying to copy the iphone design -- the look with the icons, touchscreen and all.

15. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    You do know you could hack your iPhone or iPod touch to allow an emulator from Zodttd which now runs very smooth for old idevice but wicked fast for iPhone 3G S

16. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    The only contender to the iDevice for me, is the Sega Nomad.

17. Rixx

Rixx Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    College Instructor
    Longview, Texas
    For about $10 on eBay I got an external battery pack for my iPod touch that has 2000 mah. Gives double the power of my iPod touch 2cd gen.

18. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    i love my ipod, but has anyone heard about nvidia tegra on the zune HD? thats the closest thing to an iphone.

Finally a senior member!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada