iPad Is the iDevice the best gaming machine ever?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by GatorDeb, Feb 18, 2009.

1. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    #1 GatorDeb, Feb 18, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
    I've spent close to $400 on games alone, and that's about 8 next-gen games, but in proportion I've played it A LOT more than the NES, SNES, Gamecube, Wii, PS3, PS2, XBOX, XBOX 360, Gameboy, GBA, and DS that I own/have owned.

In sheer number of hours I've played the DS more but I've owned one for three years.

Yesterday I had the Touch and the DS with me and I played the DS 10 minutes and the Touch 5 hours or so. Gaming goodness.

There are SO many apps for a buck that have hours and hours of replayability. For me it's the best gaming machine out there.

The battery life is another story. Whenever I play mine it's always plugged in somewhere.

2. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    For hardcore games, no. There's no justification for investing in such a game for the iPhone for £5, at the moment.

For its distribution model? Yes, the best.

For the sheer amount of casual games? Yes, probably.

For its controls? No, but it does have a USP, that is multi-touch and accelerometer.

For its potential to be? Definitely...

3. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    no, no its not the best EVER. is it good? yes, the best ever? no.

battery life sucks, lots of crap games,

is it as good as the DS or PSP? in my opionon, yes

DS- crappy touch screen, little kid games, bad graphics
    PSP- horrible battery life, not easy interface to add music and ect., expensive games

So, heres what i would call it

the best portable gaming console of the current generation

4. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    yes, ive spent about 130 dollars on games. and heres another thing, you cant compare the prices of ipotch games and of PS3 games.
    PS3- better graphics, better capabilitys, home console
    iPotch- portable

5. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I disagree highly. There is no way you can compare anything on an iDevice to games like Left 4 Dead (Which is my favorite multiplayer game ever. Ever.). You just... Don't. They're on a completely different level, pc games.

Plus, it just don't feel as good to blast a zombie on a tiny screen than on a good sized monitor on max graphics. Although I am fond of Zombieville USA.

I would say, however, that it's far better than the ds and psp.

6. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    #6 Jorlen, Feb 18, 2009
    I think the iDevice is the best portable gaming device yet. Why? Well, first of all, the app store and its accessibility, giving users an unprecedented amount of choice due to: a growing library of games, a growing repertoire of independent developers (look at iShoot and the success story behind it) and also pushes big brand developers like EA to compete and release quality products and not have to heavily rely on brand alone.

Plus, add in the touch screen interface and accelerometer. We will start to see more apps take advantage of it in order to develop proper controls (Hero of Sparta's joystick is an example of controls done right). Plenty of games have the graphics and frame rate, but lack in this area. This will change in time.

Keep in mind the app store is still in its infancy and already there are over 10,000 apps. Because of competition and the need for massive sales, developers both independent and big namers are pushing our idevices to its limits.

So.. basically. App store + a seemingly unlimited amount of devs + competition + a portable computer (yes, your idevice is quite powerful) = win. Period. There's power in numbers.

7. gigidey

gigidey Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    #7 gigidey, Feb 18, 2009
    They are nothing even close to being the best ever.

Even the prices aren't as good as people make them out to be. A good iPhone game costs ~10 dollars, but on the PS Store you can get a good game without a poor framerate and good production value for $5. Such as Rayman, Beats ect.. And when the DSi store launches, I'm sure it will have similar quality games.

Also, the touch screen/ accelormeter control method doesn't work well with most games. The iPhone in it's current state is hard to even compare to current portable gaming systems. If Apple releases a new iPhone with a more powerful processor and a better way of controling games it may become a decent gameing machine.

And look at the quality of the games we have, there's a topic asking what games you play on the toilet.
    One last thing, the PS Store also allows you to download FULL PSP games off of the store for between 5 and 22 dollars, without the risk of poor framerate or overall quality.

8. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    To be fair, I play the DS on the toilet too :D (and the only reason I don't play the PSP on the toilet is because I don't play it).

9. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I play my Touch a lot more than my 360 these days, but to say it's the best, as in better than actual consoles devoted to games (I'm looking at ps3 and 360), not a chance.
    Cannot compare in any way to those gaming machines. Best portable gaming device? That's at least a possible debate but best in comparison to a 360?? Not a chance, even if I play it now more often than my Touch, it still doesn't even come close to comparing

10. RM imagery

RM imagery Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Photographer (interiors, architecture, abstract ar
    Long Island, NY
    Best ever? no

One of the most innovative mediums ever? yes

15,000 apps and games to sort through including sometimes over a hundred in a day? addicting

I have become much more selective in the past 30 days because i have so many great games and my bullshit detector has gotten stronger. I can now spot a stinker a mile away. The good news is that there are solid games out there and devs are getting more familiar with the platform. By the end of the year, we're going to see some very inventive games that will blow us away.

11. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

#11 Der-Kleine, Feb 18, 2009
    After my computer my iPod T. was my first gaming console :D.
    The only problem with alot of the iPod games in the appstore: They are too short (you finish playing them very quickly :()

12. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #12 GDSage, Feb 18, 2009
    It is not even close to being the best portable ever, either. To even have a chance of that it first needs to offer traditional controls in addition, and on-screen replication is not a good enough answer. You need the full tactile feedback with traditional controls else you just end up with something not as responsive, accurate or comfortable and this affects games designed around it.

Nintendo fully realised they could not release a handheld that was touch only, why? Because certain styles of games or genres work best with a traditional control input. That's just the situation. Touch / tilt has its particular strengths which can work better for some styles and genres, and the same goes for traditional controls and its strengths but the important distinction is its strengths play within in far more styles and genres.

But aside from that first important hurdle, it doesn't even compare because it has nowhere near as much compelling software. Not like it matters to the mass who have an idevice; only the rest of the industry and the consumers.

13. gigidey

Nov 9, 2008
    But how many of those 15,000 apps are worth your time? You'll probally end up ignoring any medical applications, book applications, duplicate applications, most of the educational applications, general crap, and things you don't really need or want. Quality over quanity.

14. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #14 GDSage, Feb 18, 2009
    And this is just ignorant.

If you have ever payed attention to the titles on offer for the DS you would know it excels in genres like RPG's, adventure and action games and has great to good representation in other genres. To simply generalise its excellent catalogue as "kid games" is so far from the truth. The platform is THE focus from one of the two biggest parts of the games industry.

15. cheifton2005

cheifton2005 Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Dub-town-Ballin
    Im going to agree with the masses here on this one. The iDevice is amazing, but it cannot compare to current gaming consoles, even past gaming consoles and I've been playing video games since NES was groundbreaking. HOS is a great example, it is arguably the pinnacle of iDevice engineering, graphics, controls, content, ect. and it is 6 hours long (maybe) while it is a copy-cat of the God of War franchise from PS2 and even PSP, which contained much more content, had better graphics, cut scenes with sound and was a lot longer. It cannot even compare in the slightest to console gaming or PC gaming.

That being said however, my Xbox 360 is collecting a large amount of dust (Street Fighter IV will indeed change that Im sure). With the appstore receiving MULTIPLE games daily, the sheer amount of available games is mind blowing. I had a PSP and within a short amount of time traded it at gamestop to help buy 360 games. While I've never played the DS I will say with a relative amount of confidence that the iPhone/iTouch is the best portable gaming device out there. You dont have to carry discs and cartridges, its much smaller, has more innovative (albeit at times frustrating) controls and as previously stated, the sheer amount of content is incredible. If you feel differently now, wait about 6-8 months and then think about it again, we are far from seeing the peak of performance from these devices.

16. RM imagery

RM imagery Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Photographer (interiors, architecture, abstract ar
    Long Island, NY
    ummm, that's why i mentioned that i have become much more selective.

my point was that the hunt of the good game/app (through AppSniper etc...) is almost as much fun as playing. no other system is close to this in that regard.

17. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    Go back and read the quote slowly. Slowly. Did I say ALL DS games are for kids? No, I said little kid games. That does not imply ALL.

18. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    It's not the best gaming machine ever....
    It's distribution service is. Compare a $20 PSP or DS game to a handful of $5 or less iPhone games. The handful of iPhone games can be just as much fun, if not more fun, and last just as long, if not longer, than the other DS or PSP games. I love my iPod Touch and the App Store for what it is, but the iPhone is not the best gaming machine ever

19. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    If that is the case, then how would the platform having kid games take away from the rest of its catalogue? The App store has just as much if not more kid games.

20. gigidey

Nov 9, 2008
    Wrong
    Wrong
    Wrong