Is the DS more powerful than the iPhone 3G/Touch 2G?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Twazzock, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Twazzock

Twazzock Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    The PSP2 has just been announced, and it's visuals are likely to be comparable to current gen consoles (especially on a small screen). So it got me thinking..

I always thought the DS was the more powerful system but now I'm not so sure.. in fact it probably is as it has to deliver a display across 2 screens, but there are some games coming out on the iPhone which look pretty phenomenal. For example, Samurai WotW, Keep Defender and Dungeon Hunter. It seems like the iPhone can handle a similar visual quality, but it does lack in terms of the amount of stuff going on (on screen) and the fidelity of the animations.

Saying that, the 3GS is surely at least as powerful as the DS now? If not even more so.

2. bomber

bomber Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    iPhone 2G/3G and iPod 1G were already faster than DS, although only slightly faster. iPhone 3GS is better than DSi and PSP when using the new OpenGL shaders. Most developers and publishers want to sell games to all iDevices though so you don't see a lot of 3GS specific things. There are not a lot of DSi-only games yet either.

3. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Rumor is rumor, not fact.

Nothing has been confirmed. At all.

Signs pointed to it being Sony, but remember that that the announcement from Imagination Technologies came before we all found out 3Gs would use SGX. Also, Nokia is a likely suspect as well. Signs pointing to Sony doesn't mean it is Sony. Nothing has been confirmed.

Then you were wrong. ARM9 and ARM7 in no way are more powerful than the original iPhone and iPod touch (1st and 2nd gens) ARM11 + MBX-lite, let alone the 3Gs/touch 3rd "gen" ARM Cortex A8 + SGX (possibly 535).

Note that same site points to that silly rumor of Nintendo going with Tegra.

Not likely to happen. Nintendo's whole portable game system philosophy is keep costs to a bare minimum. Why play Sony's game when they've beat the hell out of Sony with the lower powered (by far) DS?

4. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

big........words.........overfilling.......my......mind.........</system_32_failure
    </boot
    </restore
    </error
    </currupt_binary
    </deleting_source
    </currupt_source
    </logging_off

5. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    lmao!
    I am feeling the same way too.
    And now I have a Physics assignment to do - great! :rolleyes: :(

6. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    #6 spacecowgoesmoo, Oct 19, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
    3gs > psp >> ds

7. kenzhj77

kenzhj77 Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
  8. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    3gs > psp > 3g > ds

9. sconethief

sconethief Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Depends on which way you look at it, Processor+RAM? Raw computing powah? Or what?

10. hex_me

hex_me Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Estimator
    Earth
    No you sap!

11. Firestar

Firestar Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Student/Programer
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Gee, ain't that helpful.

First Gen iDevices have 4x the processor and 1/2 a million more polygons a second than the DS.

12. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    So we all agree right??? DS is for sure the weakest of them all! :D
    I hate the ds... :mad:

13. herr_sebbe

herr_sebbe Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    So technically speaking, not concidering buttons and screen size and all that, you could emulate DS on the iPhone now?

14. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    Beyond figuring out what to do w/ dual screens, I'd bet it's doable.

15. bomber

bomber Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    No, it's far too slow to emulate. It's only slightly faster than the DS itself and emulating the multiple-CPU architecture, graphic hardware and sound hardware will require a lot of CPU power and a licensing agreement from Nintendo. It's easier to port the application.

16. Zack101

Zack101 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    No friggin way!!! Trust me I have a DS and re iPod touch is so much better in resolution, screen size, powerfulness and speed!

17. LeisureSuitLarry

Aug 12, 2009
    Software Engineer
    The Dirty South
    Yeah, the DS is far behind both the PSP and iPhone/iPod Touch in terms of graphics. I couldn't imagine games like F.A.S.T running on the DS and looking remotely the same.

18. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    I've spent a lot of money on DS games (of course I do my research and only buy the best), and in my collection of 60+ games, there is probably ~10 (if that) that have anywhere as deep content, good looking graphics, and spot-on controls as the DS game catelog. While there are a lot of games on the iPod that encompass one or two of those features, there aren't many that nail all three. Muscle just doesn't reflect the content. Also, the save systems on both PSP and DS whip Apple's butt.

19. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009

You hate (hate) an inanimate object? I think you've got problems, mate.

20. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    #20 Hitch, Oct 19, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
    You said it! :D Haha everything bad in the world is the Ds's fault... I channel all my hate into it. ;)

(haha jk. My DS at one point in time was NOT inanimate... The decepticons turned it against my family and it stabbed my mother to death with the sylus. :()
    That's why I hate it.