iPad Is the Burnout series possible on the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by MarkEightThree, Dec 15, 2008.

1. MarkEightThree

MarkEightThree Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Design
    Toronto, CA
    So EA's Need for Speed is getting canned:
    http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171828

I'm pretty sure EA is still going to want to pump out a few racers for the iPhone, so how many of you think they'll head over to Criterion Software and ask them to make a Burnout title?

We've already seen that racing games can be done well on the iPhone, but the Burnout series has always been about insanely fast action and getting physical with other racers. Imaging jerking your iPhone/touch to the left and right to take down other racers, could be pretty awesome as long as there's very little lag.

2. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    What?! I wonder if Craig knows anything about this. I agree, Burnout is awesome but yeah there's always the lag issue. I mean, even Raging Thunder lags a little, spcecially online, and it's only like 5 MB.

3. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    That doesn't ean NFS won't come to the iPhone. All the development and such. They KNOW they will be making a lot of money off of it. The may be ending the franchise, but NFS will be on the iPhone

4. RaiderRich721

RaiderRich721 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Self Employed! Love being my own boss! This is the
    CALI
    Email to Burnout Crew

I emailed the Burnout team about a possible iphone Burnout game a while back. They said that at that time they were not interested in making one for the iphone. If I'm able to find that email I'll post it back up here.

5. Everydaynormalguy

Oct 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    No, Undercover is definitely coming, I mean, it's nearly complete if I recall what Craig said. I meant that if he could verify this to be true since he works at EA.

6. terrett101

terrett101 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Of course NFS will still come to the ipod, the game is basically complete. This is in regards to the franchise as a whole. It's a pity, the games are good, and there isn't much similar in the genre, at least not on the PC. If they just focused on making decent titles under the NFS branding, instead of forcing one out every year, then they would do better.

7. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Well the only games I played were NFS II, NFS III and NFS Hot Pursuit (Or High Stakes or something). Those games were damn awesome, so it'd be a real shame if the franchise got canned

8. Everydaynormalguy

Oct 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Well that sucks. Once they see NFS crushing sales records they'll more than likely reconsider...

9. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    If you want to make money on the App Store, the sooner the better.

10. Everydaynormalguy

Oct 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Not really since the appstore has not been appropriately "tested" until recently by the big developers and it takes a long time to develop a game of that magnitude. You can't just jump right at an unknown market, specially if you've invested a lot in your game. Imagine if NFS flops miserably, you think they'll bring anything new to the appstore hopping for a second chance? I wouldn't...

11. sirisaacx

sirisaacx Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2008
    But what if the game genuinely sucks? I mean I'm pretty hesitant after I found out there were no brakes in the game. It isn't the market's fault if a game doesn't sell because it sucks.

12. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    My point is that people are still looking for good games and they are spending heaps of money. I predict that people will eventually start to get their fix of apps/games within the next year or so and will only buy apps sparingly

13. RaiderRich721

RaiderRich721 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Self Employed! Love being my own boss! This is the
    CALI
    Here is the email response I got back from Burnout.

Hi Steve,
    Sorry, there aren't any plans to bring the awesomeness of a 60fps
    photorealistic racing game to iPhone. But, we hope there's plenty to
    keep you busy on PS3/360 and PC when it comes out! (But you can
    subscribe to our CRASH TV podcast on iTunes, if you did want to take a
    little bit of Burnout with you!)
    Best,
    Simon P

14. Everydaynormalguy

Oct 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    #14 Everydaynormalguy, Dec 15, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
    That hasn't stopped any of the others from selling am I right? Come on, let's face it, NFS sells because of the cars. The controls or story don't even matter to most. All we want to see is a tricked out car, simple as that...
    Also, what will EA think? That the game flopped even though they invested a lot of money and time into it or that the appstore isn't ready for a big-name game? I would think that they'll just move on, not even bother with the appstore again...

EDIT: rootbeersoup, I believe the news of the appstore doing great were only released a couple of months ago or so. Not many predicted it would be such a success. Yes, people are buying games left and right but not necessarily the mediocre ones suchs as Zombie Mansion. Also, people buying sparingly has nothing to do with a game like Burnout being released or not. It will certainly sell wheather it's today or 6 months from now...