iPad Is Star Invader a joke?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Chiller ONE, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Are they really charging 20 bucks for this game?

2. davidovich

davidovich Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I sense another "I am Rich" scheme. He's probably thinking, "I'll aim high, and see if I get any takers." He may be trying to play off some psychological thought that if a game is expensive, it must be good. However, based on those screenshots and the fact that it's only five levels, I don't think he'll have anyone buying it. Now would be a good time to change those one-click settings in iTunes for those who are prone to accidentally clicking on the buy button.

3. Rockey04

Rockey04 Well-Known Member

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This game looks awesome!!!!

This is the best game ever! I need this! I WISH I HAD MONEY. MUST BUY. I am so going to get this right after I get enough money for IAmRich.

jk

4. STP_Steve

STP_Steve Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Editor of slidetoplay.com
    San Francisco, CA
    that is the wrong choice for the first game to break the $9.99 barrier.

5. vandy1997

vandy1997 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    You know that it's going to have one excellent review!! And that review will be coming from the developer and cost him or her 30% of the price of the app (Apple's cut)! We should start taking bets on:

1) how long it will take for the developer to lower the price of the app; and
    2) how low will the price go before anybody buys it.

I would say:

1) 2 days; and
    2) $1.99

:D

If you agree with me, hit "Yes" - just kidding!

Where is Tequila when we need her? hihihi

6. Dimsum

Dimsum Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    thats the best part of the reviews lol

7. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Come on, you guys are just as annoying as those complaining in the app store about prices. Who knows? Maybe it really is worth $20... Also: anyone stupid enough to "accidentally" click BUY should not be allowed to get their money back, ever.

8. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    bought it. I'll let you know. :)

arn

9. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    #9 NotYou, Oct 18, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
    I bet the meant to type $1.99 and screwed up. :rolleyes:

I've seen stupider things.

Edit: I went to their site and it really is $19.99.

With arn's purchase, I'm sure they've made a wopping $19.99 by now.

10. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    it's not trash actually. It looks like it's a WinCE/Palm/Mobile developer that just doesn't understand App Store pricing.

Now, I'm not saying it's worth $20 either. I'll post a video when I can. I'm sure the price will drop soonish.

arn

11. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Thx

Thanks arn, I was wondering if it were really worth 20 clams, I think the only game I am willing to pay that kind of money 4 though would be sim city...

Cant wait to see the gameplay video though.

12. #12 wastedyuthe, Oct 18, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
    Are you kidding? There are lots of games on the app store that look twice as polished as this game at half the price. £11.99 GBP is a lot of money to pay for an app we don't know anything about, don't even have a demo/lite version available for, and not even any video to watch. And by 'a lot of money', I mean compared to other shooters I have bought recently for example (which are actually very good too)- Zone Warrior at £2.39, and Vektrax at 59p!
    I'm sorry, this guy asking for £12 just for a 2D scrolling shoot-em-up needs his head examined.

13. ITrocks

ITrocks Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    This app just looks foolish. Period. There's no description for the app at all. Really stupid. 12 pounds is way too much for an indie developer to charge. I would say only a large company like EA or Gameloft could be able to release a justified game over the 5.99 pound limit. Unless the game is really really well done.

14. vandy1997

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    arn, you'll probably be the only person with this game. It may become a collector's item!! In 20 years, it may actually be worth $20. :D

15. vandy1997

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    They should be charged double for actually having that "feature" turned on! :D

16. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    I will say - this game, relative to other iPhone games, is not worth the $$. As Arn suggests, it's probably the developer just not knowing the playfield.

But DS and PSP games are never just $10. $20-$40. I don't see a problem with quality iPhone games costing the same. Look at ng:moco - they are a funded development house with a mission of producing blockbuster games perfectly suited to the iPhone, with complete fit and finish.

I don't think an amazing game should be shunned for costing $15 or $20. I don't think Arn would disagree.

blakespot

17. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I think the developer is hoping to catch some sales from curiosity seekers... such as arn. :)

18. I think it's rather sad that a good developer submits a good 59p app and has to sell it 20 times to get the same amount of money this guy will get with 1 sale, and it MAY be a worse game (can't tell of course till a review)!

19. vandy1997

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    If this app sucks, I hope that arn writes a review reflecting the fact that it sucks so that people don't get suckered into thinking that it's an exceptional app (and also posts a comment in iTunes).

This developed needs to get the free Rimshot and Crickets app (link: http://appshopper.com/entertainment/instant-rimshot-and-crickets ), because he/she will need to play the crickets sound as he/she waits for people to click on the Buy button for that app. :D

20. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    I completely understand what you're saying. However, it pisses me off when people go: "this game looks gay", "too expensive" or some other random bullsh@t. If you wanna comment on a game then you should buy it first and then offer some constructive criticism, not just go: it sucked...