Is Pocket God Racist?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Firestar, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Is Pocket God racist?

1. No, people are overreacting, don't change a thing

145 vote(s)
    84.8%
  2. Yes, it's racist, and they should do something about it!

16 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. They're overreacting, but PG should be changed to please them.

10 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Actually, about a year or two ago, Italy was named the 'skinniest' developed country in the world. Fat Italians is one of the most incorrect sterotypes there is.

2. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    It was a joke, NotYou. I am sorry to offend. I was just trying a different approach, rather than confronting the haters directly.

3. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    #63 NotYou, May 6, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
    You didn't offend me, I was pointing that out.:p I know you were joking.

Actually, I love making fun of friends from different cultures or whatever. Any job I've had where I work with someone of a different race, or anything really, we always make fun of each other(in a friendly way, of coarse).

I hate when people are uptight about things like that and try to pretend we're all exactly the same so they don't offend anybody. If we can't make fun of each other, it means we'll never close enough to relate to each other.

4. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    It's a complicated issue, NotYou. And, as you will find with anything in life, there is a gray area. Jabs at ethnicity can be innocent and even promote familiar camaraderie. People are proud of their unique qualities, and... well, even negative attention is attention. It is a curious psychological loophole. People who are different don't want to be the same, but they do want equal recognition and mutual respect. It comes down to context. In the case of Pocket God; Pacific Islanders saw an unflattering likeness exploiting their culture for financial gain. As I have stated previously; I do not believe it was the developer's intent to cause harm (to real life Islanders, that is.) They are just finding out the hard way that; even in gray areas, opinions are often still black & white.

5. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I personally think we should just toss all Pacific Islanders down a volcano and end this arguing.

6. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    The Land O Lakes chick wouldn't let you touch her hoo-hoos, right? And this is you lashing out.

7. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    The Land O Lakes chick was an Indian. They're from America.

I guess if he was raging enough about the hoo-hoos thing, he might find that to be a fitting solution...

...:confused:

8. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    #68 starjimstar, May 6, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
    Another joke, NotYou. Maybe comedy is not my forte. :p

EDIT: In Canada, the correct terms are Aboriginal, Native, or First Nations. Indians are from India.

9. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Maybe it's just me because you keep taking my jokes seriously too.:D

10. izeman

izeman Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in our german language even to use the word RACE is omitted racist. this is WEIRD. but with our history we think we have to behave that way - at least this is what media wants us.

11. izeman

izeman Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    ARGHHH! now that i read it - i can't live with this name of the game. i'm roman-catholic. this is blasphemy!!! ;)

and for all those knowing monty python: YEHOVA, YEHOVA !! ;)

12. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Your ancestors may have sparked two world wars, but I agree, people need to let it go if they want change. That would include allowing the word race to be used.

If people want proof of change, they oughta check http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taVW8Kv2HcQ out. Yea, they're German.