Is Pocket God Racist?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Firestar, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Is Pocket God racist?

1. No, people are overreacting, don't change a thing

145 vote(s)
    84.8%
  2. Yes, it's racist, and they should do something about it!

16 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. They're overreacting, but PG should be changed to please them.

10 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. Firestar

Firestar Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Student/Programer
    Wellington, New Zealand
    #1 Firestar, Apr 30, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
    I am posting this in response to an article that was in my local newspaper today. They say that Pocket God depicts Pacific Islanders being tortured or murdered and is as such racist. I personally think they are overreacting, but I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/2373759/Is-this-iPhone-game-racist

EDIT: Sorry, missed the other post, is a different news article but will delete if you want.
    EDIT 2: Will keep up because of poll.

2. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
  3. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    Humanity is doomed is what I think. Millions of homeless. Millions of dying people with AIDS. And this is news? Please. Same thing with Resident Evil 5 and Africa. Are there no Black people in Africa? And With RE4. Are there no Spanish in Spain? Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's a DAMN videogame,
    !

4. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
  5. Spotlight

Spotlight Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Ah sure...it's racist.
    Papi Jump, Rolando and Fieldrunners are racist too... poor little creatures from Fantasyland... :(

6. NRaider

NRaider Active Member

Mar 29, 2009
    The Netherlands!
    Last line, pocket god is again misplaced for a game..

7. 21duc29

21duc29 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Student
    1. (From earlier) So, if the parents wanted "Baby Shaker" to go and PG seems like a possibility then all the mature games that others have complained about should be banned too!? Gore wanted this policy and Apple are having problems with the mistakes they've done with the release of the apps, then what life is there to have fun- its just an application, if parents have problems with these then don't get it and don't look at it and don't even talk about it, it'll be over. If this were to be a problem, it was Apple Company's mistake to release it Baby Shaker should not be banned for what they've done. This is ridiculous! This world is full of problems and a small, tiny little baby shaking app. should not cause riots- not between the parents or who so ever and Apple! Apple made the mistake so be it, shit happens...

And I'm not hating on Apple. A powerful company always have one small problem and everyone hates them (or complains about them). I see other load of crap from other companies...

2. People overreact. They should just ban it in their country or something. They do this with movies that may be considered racist or just not appropriate. I don't get it. I don't see anything wrong with this- they are probably doing the same kinds of things that we do here with PG, doesn't have to be similar but they're doing something and we don't see it. They catch us with this app./movies/ posters/ etc. Maybe we should find something from there and make a big commotion about it, see how they like it. This is just ridiculous.

But then again, I can compare this to the Native American problems with the college mascot in Florida (?) some time ago... so I don't know. This varies from everyone's point of view.

3. (sorry for the use of bad language, just expressing myself)

8. oliath

oliath Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Everyone is a little bit racist.

9. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    I can go slaughter millions of white people in a GTA game, but was there articles about that being racist? Nope, not at all. But if it is people that aren't white is it racist? Of course it is. What a screwed up world we live in.

10. Spotlight

Jan 10, 2009
    That's totally true. In all of us there is a bit of racism.
    We hate fat people, thin people, black, white, yellow, red...short people may hate tall people, but Pocket God (that I don't like) is not an example of racism.

Nowadays it is more racist to think pigmeis (how to spell? I'm not native speaker...) are being discriminated for this, that create the game itself with no cultural barriers.

I think pocket god devs will have to introduce white pigmeis to proove they're not racist. Such a stupid machine :)
    But okay...if THEY wants...let's introduce 5 different colors of pigmeis, so the entire world will be happy (or maybe they'll judge it racist against the human being?).

11. Veratek

Veratek Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    VERATEkĀ®
    washington
    This is a waste of everyone's breath, and anyone knows that, including whoever felt "offended" in the first place.

12. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    1. What are you talking about? I can't even begin to draw a connection between racism and shaking a baby to death.

2. You think that because people have been offended by unflattering effigies that the solution is to insult them even more? That is so cruel I don't know how you live with yourself.

3. You are not expressing yourself very well at all.

13. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    1. Fat people are not a race. Short people are not a race. And I am not going to address the racial slurs.

2. You missed the point completely.

3. You missed the point completely.

14. oliath

oliath Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    I think the media just need to stop blaming games / movies for every problem in the world an focus on the real issues... the governments and bad parenting (in the uk's case anyway).

Yesterday on my way into work there was a full page article in the free paper they hand out on the tube blaming a teenagers murder spree on his 'unhealthy obsession with video games'.

Its such an easy scapegoat... but why was this kid allowed to develop this obesession? And if it was that bad then why didn't his parents notice? And why did they let him play so many games anyway??

Obviously though pocket god is to blame for all the troubles in the world at the moment and everytime i killed the pygmies of course i was actually thinking of mass genocide of a pygmy race.

I really hope the devs stand strong in the face of this and keep things the way they are.

Imagine it this way... the next patch releases a multicultural island. You got a black guy, white guy, chinese guy, indian guy.... Imagine how much more trouble there would be if the online stats showed that the chinese guy had been killed the most times.

Idiots.

15. Spotlight

Jan 10, 2009
    I don't feel like to talk with a person that consider black a "race", white a "race" and Asisans a "race".

We are not talking about dogs, we are talking about humans and nowadays the differences between black and white, blonde or brunette and fat and thin should be pretty similar.

If you feel offended with Pocket God, the racist is YOU (I'm not talking to YOU=starjmstar, but to who feel offended).

16. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    I tend to agree although I have a soft spot in my heart for the those native pacifiers. I used to know a lot of people in new zealand and even was learning their maori language so I understand why they are upset. They are a very proud group of people from a small place. It's not up to anyone to judge in the first place.

We have a worldwide virus that's spreading like wildfire and this is an actual topic of conversation. It's gotta make you wonder

17. 21duc29

21duc29 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Student
    #18 21duc29, Apr 30, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
    Baby Shaker problem is the same as some of the applications out there. There's a connection to this and any other application.

Well, I'm pretty sure you have done something and everyone else has too. What I'm saying is that people get offended and they do/say stupid things (or overreact). What you did there is a little of an overreaction to what I said. I don't hate others for what they are or what they do but when they are blaming PG or any other app. (even though if its similar to Pacific Islanders) is just ridiculous.

...Pacific Islanders have the right to say what ever they want... we do the same anyway. I guess they're right about the racist thing IDK.

18. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Athiests should boycott this game. There can't be a god! :p

19. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    "Should be" is key in this statement. The rest of it doesn't make much sense. I get the feeling you have no first hand experience as a minority.

I think this statement of yours is revealing of who the racist is: