Is More Crashes a Sign Iphone About to Fail?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by ArtNJ, Sep 13, 2010.

1. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Lately my 3gs has been way more iffy, with many more apps going blackscreen, and being difficult to exit, and sometimes having difficulty getting the thing to work even after apparently exitting. Rebooting is not buying a lengthy period of freedom from this like in once did.

I am still only around 10 of 16 GB. I have 4.0 installed. Might be missing a significant patch or two, not sure.

2. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Restore as new device.

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    This.

1) Backup
    2) Restore as new device
    3) Restore from your backup.

Works wonders. I've had to do this twice with my iPod Touch - it just got into a state where it got really flaky/crashing no matter how often I rebooted it. (Including hard crashes where the OS would reboot.)

4. f e a r l e s s

Mar 12, 2009
    I was told by an Apple store employee that restoring from backup will bring back some problems. So, to just start over.

5. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    yah cuz sometimes the problem could be buried within something in the back somewhere so if you restore from the backup you'll be reintroducing the issue every time

6. kingcobra

kingcobra Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2010
    I find it very annoying too that the "Jesus" phone has to start crappin out a lil over a year after release...and then having to restore the device from scratch....

its almost like Apple set it up this way to force people to buy the newest device every time...

7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Oops, well then skip step #3 ;)

I've got too much data to let go of so I guess I'm stuck with what I've got - but I will reiterate that restoring new, then restoring from a backup has cleared things up for me in the past.

I really wish Apple hadn't taken out/hidden diagnostic mode for the iPod Touch, sometimes I'd just love to run a disc/memory(flash RAM?) check and/or defragment things (which I bet happened when I restored from backup...)

8. f e a r l e s s

Mar 12, 2009
    Totally agree!

9. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    iPods have been like that since day one. When the battery stops holding a charge, it's usually more worthwhile to put the battery change cost towards a new device...

10. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Computer says... NO.

11. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

Left hand says...YES!