Is Metal Gear Solid 5 the best MGS game ever

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by ibekk, Sep 11, 2015.

1. ibekk

ibekk Member

Aug 31, 2015
    USA
    I wish I knew the answer to this but I don't. MGS5 is the first MGS game I've ever played and I love it. I love stealthy games and this game is the best stealth game I ever played. I love how the A.I guards are so realistic in their approach. If they think they see you, they'll go to your current position and keep looking and be on high alert. I love that. Anyways, if you played every MGS game to date, is MGS5 the best one in terms of gameplay and realistic A.I ?

2. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Of the MGS games I've played, yes.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Havent played this latest one, but the best one before that IMO was Peacewalker on the PSP. Much better than the console ones.

4. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

New Order - Elegia

Thank me later...

5. Oldgamer

Oldgamer Well-Known Member

May 22, 2015
    I'm close to 27 hours in. Imo is it the best? Nope. Is it very good? Yes! But not the best.
    I'd give it a solid 8.5/10 possibly more

6. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    B-but Snake Eater? That game it's almost impossible to beat as the best MGS or even game of all time, however I have to still beat Peace Walker and V to see if they make me cry as much as Snake Eater did

7. Nekko

Nekko Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Tokyo-3
    So...am I the only one here that likes MGS2 the best? :p

8. IzumiNowa

IzumiNowa Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 31, 2015
    Unemployed/part-time job
    #8 IzumiNowa, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    This game has more timers and limits then a Free2Play game

This is not the first AAA console game to do it.. there is a few others that experimented with this.. but more on the "micro transaction" side

All currencies are capped.. Money and all types of resources have hard caps

Small timers are okey if you are simulating management aspect but these are not small timers.. well some are but anyways

Combat deployment have long timer for every mission.
    - Offline missions take anything from 15 mins to a couple of hours of play time (only when playing)
    - Online missions takes 2 days+ (they are real time, do not need to be playing)

Processing Resources has a hidden timer

Crafting also has timers.. the better gear the longer timer
    - This is really dumb.. you have to wait for 15-30+ mins to craft anything except the most basic stuff

You can also buy premium currencies to speed up the online combat deployments

This was my last AAA game on consoles

I dont mind Free2Play stuff when the game is free.. (My iPad is full of them.. hey i like Social RPGs).. but wont tolerate it in a $60 game

that said.. had fun for the 40 hours i played it.. the open world is solid.. adaptive A.I (snipe alot and they start producing helmets and use them etc) but the game felt like every mission was doing the same over and over again.. fulton ppl, collect mats and do the mission objectives

9. september

Sep 14, 2012
    Timers aren't inherent to F2P, they've just been abused by it. As far as I'm aware you can't accelerate anything offline with micro transactions, they're a normal function of the research and build mechanics. It's old school build and wait, rather than build, wait for astronomical times and get a popup telling you how you can give lots of money and bypass it. If you could dispatch troops on offline missions instantly there would be no point, they may as well just give you the keys to the bank. It would seriously break the whole management part of the game.

10. IzumiNowa

Patreon Bronze

Jul 31, 2015
    Unemployed/part-time job
    #10 IzumiNowa, Sep 18, 2015
    I can understand small timers to simulate management but when its 2 days+ of real time to finish a online mission.. no.. just no

and there is a "finish now" button to throw money at Konami to complete it right away :p

[​IMG]

when it comes to offline missions you need to be ingame the whole time and late game missions can lasts many hours.

11. september

Sep 14, 2012
    #11 september, Sep 18, 2015
    Offline stuff is fine, online is cheeky but avoidable, it's not the main aim of the game and is just another means of acquiring extra resources and not an integral element. The principled part of me doesn't like the thought of it, but the practical part tells me you would have to be half baked to part with any kind of cash and its feeble at best, it doesn't interrupt or change my game.

I am with you on micro transactions in general, mobile has a lot to answer for and they shouldn't be part of full commercial releases full stop. I think you are giving the wrong impression of the implementation in MGSV though, they really are a half hearted joke implemented by someone who has been directed to have monetisation but doesn't want it. Would I prefer them gone, on principle sure. Does it really alter my experience, no.

That can be an annoyance but isn't tied to any kind of monetisation effort, you can't accelerate it if you tried and does give some weight to the whole base idea.

12. IzumiNowa

Patreon Bronze

Jul 31, 2015
    Unemployed/part-time job
    #12 IzumiNowa, Sep 18, 2015
    ASfaik.. The First FOB is free and the rest cost hard cash.. the more cash you throw at Konami the better stats that FOB has. :p

Building FOBs can have an impact on how quickly players will unlock new tech, weapons and cosmetic items in The Phantom Pain. The more FOBs a player has, the more combat deployment missions players can undertake at once. The more combat deployment missions they have access to, the faster they'll harvest resources, add new recruits and earn money, known as GMP in the game.

Yes It's possible to enjoy and complete Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain without spending any money on Mother Base Coins or building FOBs

But whatever.. it does not change the fact that its there in a 60 dollar game

edit: iv said enough about this now.. Its a fun game but also lackluster in many ways.. and the online stuff is rather off putting.

13. september

Sep 14, 2012
    I can live with it but you're right, it has no place in a full priced title.

14. iosgamer02

iosgamer02 Member

Sep 17, 2015
    You nailed it! The best is indeed the latest one!

15. september

Sep 14, 2012
    Metal Gear Online is out

16. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    This is the dumbest post I've read here in a very long time. Do you think Konami is somehow profiting from these timers? Do you think there is some sort of underhanded nature to them? Imagine if these timers didn't exist. "Ok, I'll deploy a team for a mission with a reward..*click*, annnnd done! Ok, now I'll deploy them again for another mission with a reward..*click* annnnd done! Wow, not only are these guys completing missions in seconds, but my motherbase is full of fully leveled-up guys in a matter of minutes! Since all of their missions have a reward of currency and resources, I'll just sit here clicking for about 6 minutes since everything happens with no wait period at all, I'll have the best weapons and the most elite team ever in a matter of moments!....in my 150 hour game."

You realize those waiting periods are there to keep a sense of progression going through an extremely lengthy game full of missions, and not to nickel-and-dime you like the timers in a game like The Simpsons Tapped Out where there's little more to the play than doing the things that those timers are there for, right? You realize the game doesn't lock you out and ask you to insert dollar bills into your PS4 to continue playing while you're waiting for your combat squad to finish their mission, right? It's a design element of the game that makes perfect sense for the pace of the game, and it's implemented very, very well.

To answer the OP, yes, in my opinion this is the best Metal Gear Solid game ever by a mile. Anyone who has a current-gen system and doesn't have this game is doing themselves a huge disservice. Unless Fallout 4 is Earth-shatteringly amazing, this one should go nearly uncontested as game of the year.

17. september

Sep 14, 2012
    I was a bit disappointed with the ending and chapter 2 overall, still a good game but get the impression things were wrapped up pretty quickly after a very lengthy amount of time spent on everything else.