Is launching on sale a good move?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Zenout, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Zenout

Zenout Well-Known Member

Hey all. I've been running a 50% price reduction this weekend on an old app. But the effect on sales has been the same - half as many :/ The sale is for http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/bubblesand/id418478187?mt=8

Is that likely to happen with a new app? I remember the launch period being the only real time when any downloads would happen. But it's not clear if those numbers would have been the same if launched at regular price.

Anyone know which method tends to do better than the other?

2. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    It's not a good move, no. You said it yourself, it's when most of the downloads happen.

Games are already ridiculously cheap, so the idea of a sale is solely about boosting visibility and maybe capturing some those afflicted with the "$0.99 or bust" mentality.

You can do that just as well after you've been out a while, and not miss charging the proper price when you're getting some "free" visibility at launch.

3. Zenout

Zenout Well-Known Member

Thanks for reply. Indeed it does seem like a bad idea to launch on sale. I do see it happen though, sometimes apparently successfully (Super Hexagon).

It's tricky competing price-wise against 99c games like Angry Pigs ;)