Is it possible..? App Store Question about New Games

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by magicgamestudio, Dec 9, 2014.

1. magicgamestudio

magicgamestudio Well-Known Member

Is it possible to be featured by Apple under Best New Games or Best New Updates without Apple emailing you or anything first?

Or Editor's choice?

Also, nowadays when does the App Store advertise best new games? Those go up on Wednesday or Thursday?

I just had a pro release of my game tonight. Should be available on store in 24ish hours.

So I was wondering about this question!!

Thanks!!

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    My understanding is Apple will never tell you. Don't get your hops up however cause it has to be pretty standout.

3. Shaun C

Shaun C Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 28, 2014
    @magicgamestudio

I didn't receive any notification when my game was featured. However you quickly discover it for yourself when you check your downloads, assuming the feature is in a reasonably large territory. :D

As far as I know, they only inform you if you're featured in the top banner area, in which case I believe they contact you to request art assets for the banner.

Re. the day the feature lists are updated, I think it's Thursday. Bear in mind too that you can still get featured in best new games a week or two after release.

4. mystic.purple

mystic.purple Well-Known Member

May 15, 2011
    Jakarta, ID
    #4 mystic.purple, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
    @magicgamestudio

Just like what Shaun said, the apps featured on the Best App/Game list usually aren't notified by Apple beforehand, unless you're on the editor's choice or anything that requires additional artworks. My latest game recently got featured in the US and I didn't even know for a while until I checked it accidentally.

While it's true that Thursday is the day when Apple updated the featured list, I believe the apps aren't necessarily need to be launched on that day. And like what have been stated above, you can go weeks after launch date and still get featured later on.

Something interesting happened to my game though. On last thursday, it was only being featured in US and Canada. Earlier today (Tuesday), as I checked AppAnnie's report, I got to know that it suddenly got featured on the majority of countries in North and South America. Not sure what triggered it, aside from the fact that I just released a quick update on the day before.