iPad Is it me or is Apple being a bit slow lately?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by JanB, Feb 21, 2009.

1. JanB

JanB Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I consider they should prioritize the revisioning of certain apps, at least those of high caliber production. Thats just my 2 cents. Whats your point of view?

2. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    I want the job of reviewing apps.. I know I could do it, and I would pick a handful of the elite in the forums to lead the App Store to global domination, in theory

3. WOW_GEE

WOW_GEE Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    I dunno; i think it may just be because there are so many apps coming out that people want that the anticipation is making it seem longer.

(Sway, Zen Bound, )

4. Wegmans

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    I think that's it, they must have their hands tied down with more important things... but still... It's tough for us to see different review times

If Apple said OK well it's 10 day approval process, then we would be fine with that, but there's a big discrepancy in how fast certain games are approved!

5. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Canada
    Well, there are ONLY like 25,000 apps, so I'm sure that's not the reason. ;)

6. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    apple probably have to test all the games in case something strange pops up. they're not really nerds. it takes them a while.

7. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    Or Apple doesn't care. Naw, they wouldn't. Or is it all a conspiracy?

8. Wegmans

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    Like when Mr. Smith decides to take his pants off or something?

9. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

10. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Canada
    That's the whole point of Apple reviewing them, and the usual 1-2 weeks before a game is released.

11. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    Yeah but consider a game like pocket god. The updates are frequent and add only small features that shouldn't take more than ten minutes or so to look over, one would think, yet it takes apple usually about 4-5 days

12. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
    they're amazing with engineering, yet suck with software. go figure.

13. JanB

JanB Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Exactly what Im trying to express. How can you possibly desire to rule a market in which the authorities have been named YEARS AGO, if your not willing to work EVERY POSSIBLE ANGLE. To me its something unconceivable to think that they can take 2 weeks to verify a SIMPLE UPDATE of ANY GIVEN APP. In all honesty Apple should just trust certain developers that never let them down. For example Pocket God; they update weekly and would never break the Apple Code. I propose a simple solution: two departments: One concerning updates, the other new games. I truly consider this to be the most absolute of all actions. It makes the most sense after all.

14. Wegmans

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    or just have people have consistent app submitters as 'clients' to make it easier to get the updates through

15. emb531

emb531 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2008
    I just don't get how iDracula got through so fast, not that I'm complaining, but it seemed more likeley that with all the shooting and explosions it would have been hold up, instead of relatively calm and peaceful games such as Zen Bound and Sway are taking longer.... :mad:

16. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
    Yeah, but Apple isn't willing to take risks (allowing updates to go through automatically). One little inappropiate update could mean lotsa law suits. I agree on your second point, though.

17. MuN

MuN Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Game Developer
    Las Vegas, NV
    Also - updates are not submitted as updates; you submit the entire application all over again. There is nothing that would prevent a dev to insert an inappropriate content (or anything) into an already approved part of the app.

18. MetaNick

MetaNick Well-Known Member

I think everyone just needs to keep their pants on. As a dev, I can understand the painful waiting. I waited 8 days to hear back on my update to PhotoTalk which just extended audio recording to 60 seconds and added a slideshow feature. That's it and it took 8 days for them to tell me it was failed because if they set the slide show speed to be faster than the audio could play, it cut the audio out. 8 days. Just for that. Now I have to wait potentially another 8 days or more to see if my changes meet their standards.

Fact is they probably get a ton of apps submitted each day and they have to test each and every one. It sucks for consumers and it sucks for devs, but at the end of the day, it's just another few days. It's not like they're going to hold onto one of these games for three months or anything.

19. Moog

Moog Active Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Maybe they do them in alphabetical order. So Zen Bound might take a while longer.. :D

20. flod

flod Active Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Developer
    I'm not sure if the review process is different between regular apps and games, but for all my submissions (updates and new releases) it always took 3-4 days on an average.
    My update & lite game released yesterday have been submitted on Sunday and considering Monday was a US holiday, I'd say it's more than acceptable w/ the current flow.

I actually think the whole thing has improved as I didn't hear lately of any situations of people waiting for 1month+ (along with those review delay notification emails Apple was sending a few months ago) for Apple to get back to them, as it happened in the past.