Is fieldrunners truly worth a purchase?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Kuratsu, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Dimsum

Dimsum Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    It's great because they brought the TD genre to the masses. I've been playing games for many years but had never heard of TD and Fieldrunners was the one that opened my eyes to it. It is only after purchasing Fieldrunners that I went onto getting both Mote-M and Besiegement. If it wasn't for Fieldrunners, I wouldn't have bought either of the two others. If someone had thrust Mote-M on me first before I had played Fieldrunners, I probably would not have bothered with the genre at all. Mote-M is way too complex for the casual first timer to pick up and play. I was totally lost, but because I had so much fun with Fieldrunners, I decided that when I want more from the genre - then I will come back to Mote-M, but for now its off the phone. I still play Besiegment alongside Fieldrunners because it is much more easier to grasp (compared to Mote-M) and offers things that Fieldrunners lack. I don't hate any TD game - they each have their strong points and weeknesses.

So many people say that Besiegement and Mote-M etc all offer more gameplay value with many more options compared to Fieldrunners and then go on to say that all Fieldrunners has is going for it is graphics - well i say to those people - then I can say that Fieldrunners has graphics and the others don't - so thats my reason for picking it. People need to stop making the mistake that only options and depth make a great game. For a lot of people, the polished looks and graphics are a plus too and they don't mind not having such advanced options/features because the games look better. Not everyone wants to go so indepth with their TD games.

Fieldrunners makes TD games fun and the new update with sound also brings more to the game, plus they are also well under way with v1.2 which will add more towers etc. People talk about Fieldrunners like as if it can never offer anything more, yet the team behind it are busy working at many new options and features which will only make it better.

Fieldrunners really did open the genre out to a much bigger audience and it should be given its dues. Yes its not the best most feature enabled game, but its certainly the best looking and for that you can't expect it to also be feature laden.

2. Kuratsu

Kuratsu Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    Graphics do not make a good game, if a game has good graphics, its a plus. That is all it is. I'll take great gameplay over graphics any day. A developer should be concerned with gameplay before graphics because without gameplay... well it just wouldn't be a game would it?

I'm not bashing fieldrunners, I gotta say the graphics are nice. But it feels like its missing something, like its a beta. If a game looks and sounds as good as fieldrunners does, wouldnt you expect it to have features?

Based on what you said, i'm going to have to assume that you would buy a game just because it looks good. Fieldrunners lasted me 3 hours before i got bored with it. When v1.2 is released I'll revisit the game to check the improvements, but as of this moment i can only give Fieldrunners a 3/5. It's lacking features that would otherwise give it a 5/5

Anyways, thats my 2 cents...

3. Knight

Knight Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Game Developer
    At what price point would you expect both?

4. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

Good question. ;)

My point is that, if anything, shouldn't gameplay be the primary concern, rather than pretty graphics? As for Fieldrunners being upgradeable, that's all fine and good too - but I'm not going to base my opinion on as-yet-unannounced and currently non-existent potential upgrades. Looking at what is available now, in terms of iPhone TD games, Fieldrunners is hands down the weakest in terms of features, depth, and balance. But it looks pretty, so it's popular. ;)

5. Kuratsu

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    When I was looking at Fieldrunners prior to my purchase, that is exactly what i was thinking it would turn out like. I feel that at the current moment, one is paying for a pretty game... at least thats how I feel about my purchase... Honestly I don't think it is worth $4.99 quite yet... maybe $2.99...

Fact: Graphics do not make up for lack of gameplay.

6. alza

alza Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Is this a joke?

Fieldrunners is probably the best game on the appstore.
    Graphics, gameplay, sound (now), it has it all.
    It and Galcon are the two most played games on my Iphone.
    I think it's because the combine playability with graphics.
    Besiegement is nowhere near the match of fieldrunners - not because of its graphics, but because of its control issues and unintuitive nature.
    Fieldrunners deserves the 5/5 reviews it is constantly getting

7. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

You really think Fieldrunners' gameplay is worthy of five stars?? Where's the sandbox mode? Multiple upgrade paths for each tower? Properly scaled runner values (i.e., why is a lv50 runner with 200hp worth exactly the same as a lv1 runner with 5hp?) ... ? Online high scores? Area effect towers? Earnable/unlockable special weapons? Endless mode (without the same boss over and over again after lv100)? Tower stats? Fast-forward button?

I think the pretty graphics are clouding your judgement. ;)

8. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    Maybe instead of bashing the developers of FR on these things you should suggest them to them. They're open for ideas.

9. alza

alza Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    I think there is enough flexibility in Fieldrunners to ensure that different things can be tried. That's enough.
    I have 65 game apps downloaded, and this would have absorbed more playtime than anything else, so I personally can't complain about any shortfalls in that department.
    If you can name me another Iphone game with the same quality and ease of use, as well as reasonably deep gameplay, I'll be very surprised.
    I actually think the pretty graphics are clouding your judgement

10. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

Hang on a minute. I'm not 'bashing the developers' here. I'm just saying that besides being pretty, FR can't even come close to the other iPhone TDs and I am therefore confused as to why people think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. How is that bashing the developer? If anything, my "bashing" is more directed at the people who think that pretty graphics trump depth and gameplay (or worse, that pretty graphics EQUAL depth and gameplay) ... ;)

As for suggesting this to the developer, I'm sure they're on the boards, so thyll see it. And if they're not, they should be. heh

11. Kuratsu

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    #31 Kuratsu, Nov 21, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2008

Galcon I'll agree with, i only have Galcon lite and that in itself is lot of fun. However Fieldrunners is NOT the best game on the appstore. What control issues are there with Besiegement? you can drag and drop towers just like u do in Fieldrunners, and when u do it even zooms in to make it easier to place. The developer originally had zoom feature implemented but his beta tester(s) said it wasn't any good (obviously not true). Fieldrunners only has 2 maps! Besiegement has a story and a challenge mode which in the end equals to hours upon hours of gameplay. I must admit that Fieldrunners has potential but at its current stage it is but a public beta and still feels incomplete.

Things that would help in future updates: (This can really apply to any TD)
    -More Maps!
    -Mazing and Pathway maps, each require different strategies
    -More Towers
    -Elemental Towers?
    -Physical Towers? (only deals damage to 'fieldrunners' next to tower (range of 1)
    -Multiple branches of evolution for towers
    -No "uber" tower
    -towers need to be balanced so they work together better.
    I feel rushed to get out lightning towers in the maze
    -More 'fieldrunners'
    -Variable attributes for 'fieldrunners' (resistance to certain towers (cant be slowed, rockets are not effective, doesn't conduct electricity, Health regeneration
    -Maybe rewards for passing an amount of levels? I'd Assume the ability to purchase power ups in which you can recover health, clear the field, get x amount of money, free tower upgrade (5 towers?)

Still coming up with more ideas... I had a whole list for back when I was planning to make my own TD in Warcraft 3... Never got around to it sadly. I'm gonna see if I can find it.

Edit: In reference to the different branches, maybe allow towers to be upgraded to another tower so you do not have to destroy them leaving a possible opening in your maze.

Note to developers: if you need any help with refining/developing ideas in TD's don't be afraid to ask members on these forums (I love doing stuff like this, which is why I used to be a map maker in Warcraft 3 :D)

12. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    Sorry about that... It kind of came off as a bash to me... But I do think it deserves more credit than it is given. Considering the devs are updating. There's a lot of open slot on the map selection screen, perhaps they plan on filling it up? I do agree that the towers and fieldrunners need updates, but I feel confident in saying that they'll better it.

13. Kuratsu

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    They probably are planning on filling it up, but why not have a slew of maps at release instead of releasing a slightly crippled (1 map, 4 towers) application that feels incomplete?

Once they 'complete' the game (probably v2.0) I feel that this TD will be even more enjoyable than people believe it is right now.

14. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    Well, they got the base of the game out. Probably so that they could get feedback before creating the rest of the game. I do think they should release multiple maps at once, however, and hope they do so in v1.2.

Yes, game completion is something I'm waiting (im)paitiently for. I do hope they listen to most of the suggestions posted here... I read nearly of em..... Wow..... Hopefully Subatomic is browsing this thread as we speak. O:

15. Kuratsu

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    #35 Kuratsu, Nov 21, 2008
    Well, its like I said, I never denied that the game has GREAT potential, i just feel like it was rushed. I'm sure some of the stuff I mentioned has already been posted in their forums (although I haven't been on there myself). I'm actually surprised that sound was one of their first priorities... I would be more concerned with adding more actual content, after all, look at the following it generated even when it didn't have sound.

Edit: Should I visit their forums and post my suggestions? (would they really do anything with them?)

16. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    To me it just felt basic... After all, it has polish, just limited depth.

Yes, you should post your suggestions. I myself will be sending them an email with the suggestions posted here.

I really liked a lot of them.

17. Kuratsu

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    #37 Kuratsu, Nov 21, 2008
    Lol, so you're going to send them my suggestions?

Thats fine I suppose (I've already emailed them about it though)... Just remember I came up with them :D

18. Kuratsu

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    #38 Kuratsu, Nov 21, 2008
    I got a response from the developer

I am fairly happy with this response, I also like the fact that I got a response in a timely manor.
    Should I post in the general discussion or wishlist items?

Still disagree about the towers being balanced, I've tried many strategies and have found it improbable to survive past round 50 or so without lightning towers

19. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    #39 Herp, Nov 22, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
    Towers do need more balance. Like other people mentioned, micromanaging and elemental based towers/bosses can really help balance out towers.

And regarding your other post. Of course when I do email them I will give credit to those who suggested it. I would have never thought of something so clever as you guys have.

Oh, and I would probably post it in the wishlist items.

EDIT: I do think the towers are kind of balanced, however. Of course they'll require you to need more powerful towers as you progress. Otherwise you would only need a build of turrets. Which would be too easy. And each Fieldrunner always gives the same cash no matter what wave (Someone complained about this, but at the current mechanics of gameplay it works to help balance things.) Since they give the same amount of cash, and the lightning towers are so expensive, it balances out pretty well.

The game still needs more mechanics/maps/depth, but the tower balance isn't TOO bad. Especially if they plan on adding to the towers/fieldrunners/mechanics.

20. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    music?

I downloaded it a while ago, can you listen to your own music while you play?

P.S: Lol, little peoples dying in my ipod :)