Is fieldrunners truly worth a purchase?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Kuratsu, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Kuratsu

Kuratsu Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    #1 Kuratsu, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
    I currently have besiegement and it provides me with hours of gameplay, not to mention that I'm not even halfway through the story mode yet. When I Think of a TD I'm constantly reminded of Starcraft and Warcraft 3.
    Is fieldrunners really all that it is hyped up to be?
    And if anyone has both Fieldrunners and Besiegement (or any other TD), how do they compare?

2. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    I have desktop apps for TD, (Horde of Orcs is great) but Fieldrunners, IMO, is really something special, esp. with todays update.

YMMV, but thousands of geeks can't be wrong :)

3. Kuratsu

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    #3 Kuratsu, Nov 20, 2008
    Well, have you tried besiegement? to me, it reminds me of what i remember TD like in SC and WC3
    I don't really care what the graphics look like in a game per say, I care more about the game play and replayability(and of course if its fun).

4. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    what do you mean TD in a RTS? They are different genres of games.

Is there a real time strategy game has a tower defense section in it?

I have starcraft, warcraft3, Mote-m, Besiegement, Fieldrunners, and plenty of others and still don't know what you are talking about =/

5. Kuratsu

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student

Wait, you have never played a Tower Defense in Starcraft or Warcraft 3?

6. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I've played some custom maps but those are not even close to a good TD game. Their isn't enough variety to make it compelling

7. Kuratsu

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    Meh, I've seen some pretty high quality ones.

8. Knight

Knight Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Game Developer
    Which ones are you thinking of when you compare in terms of variety? I played some good TD maps in war3. Probably one of the best is Burbenog.

9. Kuratsu

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    I don't remember names anymore :/ i know that there are some pretty good ones, might have played Burbenog, it rings a bell.

Hmm I just remembered another genre, Hero Defense, those were also fun if i remember properly

10. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I was talking about in general. I'm just trying to understand what about besiegement reminds him of a TD in a RTS because that will help me figure out if fieldrunners would be worth it to him.

11. Kuratsu

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
  12. Kuratsu

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    Well i just checked out a gameplay video of fieldrunners, gotta say im pretty impressed... to a point... theres only 4 towers which means that there are limited strategies. I don't believe that fieldrunners is truly worth $4.99 as it appears as if you are paying mostly for the graphics. Besiegement at $3.99, although not graphically oriented has strong gameplay and is creative by giving you goals to fulfill instead of just killing enemies.

13. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    C'mon. Not worth $4.99?

I've played a lot of iPhone games and if you asked me what the best iPhone game is. My answer right now is Fieldrunners.

Buy it.
    arn

14. Kuratsu

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    #14 Kuratsu, Nov 20, 2008
    I just purchased iTD for now, i'll prolly buy fieldrunners at a later date when i have more money to spend

Lol, arn himself suggesting that I purchase it... Now that makes it tempting :p
    Honestly your probably gonna make me cave, I'm a real sucker for TD's :D

15. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    #15 VeganTnT, Nov 20, 2008
    Have you tried Mote-M yet? it's only 99cents and is made for hardcore TD fans.

There is no way to win it though. The game increases it's difficulty pretty quickly. It's made for 20-30 minute sessions.

I use Mote-M for quick play and Besiegement for long sessions. I have fieldrunners but I don't see much strategy in it, It's more for those new to TD's. I have other TD's like Firewall, iTD, iDefend, Tower Defence, TowerDefend, and touchDefense. None have any depth to them

Full Disclosure: I helped handle the Mote-M forum and was the lead beta tester.

16. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

I really don't understand why people think Fieldrunners is so great. I own most of the TD games available for the iPhone and aside from the fancy graphics, pretty much every other TD has far more to offer than Fieldrunners. Sandbox mode? Multiple tower upgrade paths? Greater bad guy variety? More tower types? Better HP/cash scaling? More maps, both fixed and maze? Global high scores? Yeah. Pretty much every TD game I've played on the iPhone (iTD, Beseigement, Mote-M, etc) has a lot more to offer than Fieldrunners. In fact, I'd argue that the only real selling point of FR are the graphics.

So again, I don't understand why so many people think Fieldrunners is so great? Because, compared to the competition, it really isn't. IMO, of course.

17. It's so great because they balance it well and gives you just enough of a challenge to keep you on your toes. Each level you feel like you have to improve or you'll be taken for. Ok maybe there are a few easy levels here and there but it feels like a nice linear progression.

Desktop Defense flash (also has create your own maze) game probably has the worse graphics but the best gameplay. Fieldrunners has both graphics and great gameplay.

18. gnadenlos

gnadenlos Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    You are right, Fieldrunners lacks variation and gameplay modes, but beneath the superb graphics it also offers very well working and easy controls (zoom+tower placement+upgrading).

I guess it's easier for the developers of Fieldrunners to add more gameplay modes, towers, levels and maybe even some kind of campaign, than it is for other developers to improve their graphics and controls. For that reason Fieldrunners is the tower defense game that offers the best potential for future upgrades, even if I prefer Besiegement and even iTD for their superior gameplay at the moment.

19. jonaswills

jonaswills Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Colorado
    Well Fieldrunners will also probably have bigger upgrades cause they are sitting on such a huge pile of money right now. But we'll see, we still have some new stuff for iTD that is gonna be pretty sweet.

Of course my biased opinion is that iTD is way better than all the rest :-D But I can't deny I had fun trying out the competition ;)

20. Kuratsu

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    Well, now that i own Besiegement iTD and Fieldrunners, i can say that each bring to the table a unique experience. So far the TD that requires the most strategy in my opinion is Besiegement (it also has the most towers), although I really like the look and feel if both iTD and Fieldrunners. iTD is really interesting, although the ability to maze along with more tower options would really add to the experience in my honest opinion. Fieldrunners only has 2 gameplay modes and 2 levels. I feel that it is severely limited compared to the other two TD games (also the lightning tower is too uber, I feel like its a race to get as many up as possible). I would like to see improvements in all three however because they are all quite fun in their own perspective.