iPad Is a video tutorial a good idea in a game?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by blue ox, Feb 16, 2009.

1. blue ox

blue ox Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Hi All,

I'm planning to include a video tutorial in my new game, "Moxie". While this game is simple, during testing I've found that the rules are not obvious to new players.

I feel that the best way to communicate the rules is via a brief video that can be accessed via the Help menu.

After including the video, my application will probably grow to 15 or 20 MB in size.

Do you folks think a video tutorial is a good idea or should I try another type of tutorial, like screen popups or something like that?

Share and enjoy,

2. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    how about a slide show that uses arrows to show what you've moved and quote blimps to explain what you are doing with the item they point to.

3. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    If the tutorial is larger than the game itself (or close to the size of the game), I wouldn't do it I think.

There are alternatives like popup boxes (as you mentioned), a tutorial level with explanations, or simply a Help file with screens with explanations, and then the player can scroll/flick through them. The best solution depends on the game.

If you pick one of those, you can always put the video on your website and have a link to that in your game, for people who want even more clear instructions.

4. blue ox

Sep 18, 2008
    Is the file size the issue with the video, or is it something else?

5. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    Isn't there a 10mb size limit to download over the cell network? It just seems like the people on the go will pick up a quick game.

6. blue ox

Sep 18, 2008
    I just discovered that I can reduce the video size to 1/10 of what I thought if I use a different video format. So now we are talking 2 Megs or so to add video. Does this make a difference from the gamer's perspective?

7. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I agree 100%.

Also take a look @ how Touchgrind does their tutorial, I think it works well for that game...

8. HouseTreeRobot

HouseTreeRobot Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Living.
    UK
    More work, but I think in-game tutorial content would be better. Sign posts, pop-ups, text as part of the scenery, tutorial level, etc.

I've not looked at your game to see if that would fit in well, but as a player I personally wouldn't sit through a video to learn how to play a game.

9. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    That would work. Make it like Blue Attack!

10. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    I prefer interactive in-game tutorials. However, if you feel that the video is the best thing for your particular game, go for it.
    regarding the size, for a word game with simple clean graphics I'd expect and prefer a small dimension. However if you reduced it from 20 Mb to 2 it should be ok.

11. iScarFace

iScarFace Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Zombieville USA has a nice tutorial in game.

12. butters

butters Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I'd say a video tutorial or an interactive tutorial are both good options. I definitely prefer any of those to plain instruction pages. Just try to make them not to long, because 'tutorials' that take forever are pretty much a thing that repel users...

EDIT: As iScarFace said, the Zombieville USA tutorial is pretty much as good as it can get...

13. blue ox

Sep 18, 2008
    Well I decided to go with the video tutorial. I just finished it this morning. It is 3 minutes and just under 2MB. I hope it will be the right thing for my customers.

Share and enjoy,