Is a DSI or PSP Worth it if I iPhone game?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Mencius, Apr 4, 2009.

?

What's Your Choice?

1. DSi

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. DS Lite

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. PSP

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  1. Mencius

Mencius Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Hmmm cool, some good thoughts from everyone. I've added a poll for kicks. Anyway, I think what I'll do is wait and watch for a while, see what happens with the DSi, if nothing in particular happens I'll just try and pick up a cheap DS Lite.

Part of what has me thinking about the DSi is the faster CPU they've put in it, but I don't know if there'll be any games that leverage it. I can't see myself using the cameras or the multimedia features, although I do like the slimmer form factor, wider screens, and matt finish.

It's true that iPhone games seem shorter and more bite-sized than games I've played on other platforms but I quite enjoy that sometimes, it's also reflected in their cheap price. Horses for courses I suppose. I'd also disagree that app store games are ALL crap, sure a lot are, but to me Rolando, Zen Bound, Crayon Physics (port I know), GeoDefense, Aurora Feint, Sway and some others really are excellent games in their own right on the platform.

It's true though, you have to sift through a lot of muck to get to the good ones.

2. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

While I do think that the quality of App Store games are faulted, I must mostly disagree with that. Rolando and Dropship are two notable titles that are deep, and have long gameplay with custom iPhone controls. The SDK is just too shallow, and Apple won't let devs do my ideal gaming scenario. Where entering an app completely closes all apps and closes the SpringBoard, and you have only the game and its related functions. This could cause more crashes. And hard crashes, but jailbreak has it right. The iPhone and iPod Touch have 128 MB of RAM. The devs can utilize less than half of that. Processing speed and graphics are also taken over by things running in the background, like Mail, Safari, and iPod. If Apple insists on a sandbox, then do a sandbox. Allow each and every game exist on it's own, and stretch the limits of the iPhone. Then, we'll see really games with depth and real capabilities. Devs can't do anything with Mail constantly checking for new messages, Safari monitoring a website, and iPod constantly equalizing music. It's unideal for devs, and horrible for the consumer. It could be a nuisance for consumers as well. Having to respring upon every app exit takes time, and isn't productive. But you have to pick whether you want convenience or great games. I say great games. I am jailbroken and have to respring constantly. It's no big deal.

The DS does all these things, and stretches it's horrid graphics, CPU, and 4 megs of RAM to have games 10x better than the iPhone with 10x better hardware.

3. Mencius

Mencius Member

Apr 4, 2009
    #43 Mencius, Apr 6, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
    Oh my, after reading this Iwata asks (and having a mighty good laugh at the stilted scripting) I'm less sure about the DSi.

I don't want to "play with cameras" or "play with music" I just want to play games, listen to music, and take photos with a camera. I'm not sure if the DSi knows what it wants to be. I wish they'd improved its ability to play games instead of adding these things that just feel kinda gimmicky :confused:

I think I'm more decided on the Lite now.

Vol 1 of "Iwata asks" is slightly less hilarious (slightly) and available here

4. brewstermax

Well, I don't think that the DSi is confused at all. They majorly updated it's ability to play games, and that is something that is a positive thing, as if you go by that, the iPod Touch and PSP don't know what they are either. So I am dead convinced on the DSi, it is a huge gaming improvement, and is well worth it.

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Do you own a DSi? It sounds like the hardware is slightly improved and I'm curious if it plays games at higher frame rates? Also *sigh* I could trade my DS Lite in for a DSi but... I have the Zelda edition :(

6. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I voted PSP ALL THE WAY FTW!!

7. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    it will work on the DSi

8. brewstermax

No. I wish, I was going to get on tonight, but I wasn't allowed. I'm getting one tomorrow though. Pokemon Platinum has lagged a bit on my DS Lite, so I suspect built in DSi dependancy. :| I'm going to try it on the DSi, and see if it is smooth as it should be.

9. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    #49 Ravenblack, Apr 6, 2009
    Possible downside is that DSi's games are region locked, although current ds games will still be region free. It matters if you intend to order over those quirky titles from Japan. Or if you are in Europe and you want a game released earlier in the US.

10. brewstermax

He's talking about the DS itself. It is a Zelda edition, aka one of the various special editions. Not a game.

11. anduril_ukr

anduril_ukr Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    yeah, its so obviously scripted - theres no denying it

12. brewstermax

You can find unlocked ROMs and some game cartridges and get those. :|

13. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    A gamer shouldn't have to do that. :)

14. Mencius

Mencius Member

Apr 4, 2009
    #54 Mencius, Apr 6, 2009
    Have they updated it's ability to play games at all? Look at this for example

So despite the faster CPU they seem to be maintaining cross-compatibility with the original DS and the DS Lite. As such I doubt there will be much at all that makes use of the improved graphics or speed in the DSi for playing games (in the classic sense). The only possibility for improved play is DSi-ware and that is still in a foetal form... though it could have potential.

15. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    See...the issue here is that you think it's in competition with DS and PSP, and that it's in the portable game system market.

It isn't.

It's a mobile platform, and that's different.

You won't find many "full games", or games that you'd play "for more than 15 minutes" because the mobile market isn't geared toward that type of gaming. It's guided by both the platform itself, and the consumer expectation. The platform is a mobile one, not dedicated to gaming, and the consumer base is more interested in "short burst" gaming than "long, deep" gaming. It's all about minute gaming, not "long, deep" gaming.

For DS and PSP it's different. As dedicated portable game systems, "longer" and "deeper" games are expected (though not as long and deep as home console games). Mobile gaming, because of the platforms usually having less extensive battery life, applications running in the background, and having a bunch of different uses altogether, have consumer's with different needs and tastes.

Face facts: If you want longer games then you're in the minority ion this platform and in this market. Longer games = niche games for this type of market (which, again, is mobile not portable gaming).

16. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

OUCH psp gettin beat by DSi! i would like a dsi over a psp but since i have both its all good >:l

17. brewstermax

I can safely say for 100% certainty that the DSi is a massive improvement, and you are crazy to not get one. They are going to add most of their NES, SNES, GB, and GBA catalog into the DSiWare shop, so it is well worth it. Go buy now.

18. RaZrVIN

RaZrVIN Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Currently unoccupied.
    The Empire State, America.
    Argh, but I just sold my DS Lite because I bought an iPod Touch 2G!! Is it THAT worth it? And do you know how much it is? I may take the plunge if I have enough info that it is truly worth it...