Is a DSI or PSP Worth it if I iPhone game?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Mencius, Apr 4, 2009.

?

What's Your Choice?

1. DSi

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. DS Lite

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. PSP

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  1. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    fixed it for ya.........

honestly, though, no one was mad at you. hodapp was debating your point. thats the point of an internet forum. to discuss. if you dont want to stand up for what you say then dont post your opinion. Its your opinion and i am positive hodapp didnt mean for you to feel offended. but IMO, if you are going to be so sensitive about someome challenging your opinion then you dont belong here. no offense intended. (its even sadder i have to say no offense to you)

anyways, can the OP add a poll?
    DS lite
    DSi
    PSP

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I don't know if you're not reading the thread or what but I have no idea what anyone is posting that is making you think this.

3. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008

It's all cool if you want to say your opinion go ahead but I get mad is when people start hauing off at yea for expressing one's thoughts.....

It's all cool.........

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Who is "hauing off at yea"? I don't even know what that means. :confused:

5. yourofl10

Dec 11, 2008
    typo its "hauling off" my bad...

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Who is doing that?

7. yourofl10

Dec 11, 2008
    :/
    *Shuts Mouth*
    Not telling....

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

If you can't back up what you post in any kind of discussion, there's not much sense in posting it. Someone disagreeing with you isn't "hauling off" (Whatever that means.) it's what takes place on a forum where you discuss things. You seem to do this in every thread where anyone posts something contrary to what you think.

Go back and read ibelongintheforums' post again. Just because I disputed your "teen vs kid" game argument doesn't mean I'm trying to troll you or whatever you think is going on.

9. yourofl10

Dec 11, 2008
    Anyways Hodapp just delete my posts on this thread for the good of us all.

I would just apperciate if people would give a nicer answer some times like this thread:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=8808&highlight=hill+billy

What canadian said didnt have to be so harsh..............
    Just my 2 cents I;m leaving this topic.......

My last thoughts........

PSP has better graphics has more teenager like games (more hardcore games)

DSi dosnt and has more kiddish games (it has some but not as much as the PSP and has more casual games)

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

11. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

The GameCube was a joke. Heck, the Wii is a total joke. But Nintendo does things, and they do them right. Backing the old school retro titles like Super Mario and Pokemon keep them in business. And the 1304828459020391 little kids who love the Wii.

12. brewstermax

Wow. IBITF has been reformed!!!!!!!!!!! I used to dread the DSi, but now that I can haz emulators, there is no need. I'm going to go buy a DSi Monday.

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

It's not just kids that like the Wii, we got my grandparents a Wii for Christmas. They have Wii Bowling tournaments in the common room of their condo building. I'm not even joking. What Nintendo has done this console generation with engaging gamers who otherwise would have never EVER been interested in video games is pretty remarkable.

I'm personally taking a pass on the DSi. Unless some really amazing games come out which require the camera (which I kind of doubt, but stranger things have happened) the only benefit is the DSi virtual console junk... and really, I think I've hit my limit on the number of times I'm willing to rebuy Super Mario World.

14. brewstermax

Wow. I never would have thought of such a thing.

The DSi offers a performance boost, and is thinner, and I think that the camera could be a nice addition. I could never hit a limit on Super Mario rebuys. That is the single best game series ever. Who wants to argue that point. Plus OTA and the nice SD card are great for the DSi. Do I hear free ROMs? :)

15. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    hell naw, stick with them iphone apps.

iPhone gaming ↑ -- DS and PSP

16. brewstermax

Do you see the greatest games of all time playing on an iPhone (well, technically you can get emulators on jailbreak, but still), but the DS has many advantages, and the PSP is a complete joke. Nice graphics, crap games. iPhone gaming is nice, and bode me over from September until now. But now, prime DS game release season has started, and I can't resist. Plus App Store games are total crap now. Jailbreak ftw!!!

17. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    You know full well what it is. iPod touch = iTouch.

None of that "iPotch" crap pablo tries to get everyone to buy into.

iDevices doesn't work for me because the iPod classic and nano are also "iDevices". So I use iTouch/Phone when referring to this platform.

God of War: Chains of Olympus, Crush, Tekken Dark Resurrection, Patapon, Loco Roco, and quite a few others are very good. And that last Resistance game is too.

Yep. Less features like brighter screens, TV output (and, yes, people do use TV output...I could go on about how I think the inclusion of TV out probably caused more PSPs to be bought in Japan, the only region where the thing is even selling well) and slightly better battery life. :rolleyes:

And the 3000 will get modded soon enough. There was a time when the 2000 was thought "impossible" to mod.

The 1000 is best if you're gonna mod it to hell and back, but for someone like me, who sees the PSP as a portable/home console hybrid (kinda like a next gen Sega Nomad...Sega was truly ahead of their time), the 1000 just isn't worth it. Better to get the 2000.

18. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    The thing for me that makes the DS the best gaming purchase is that some games, as great as they are, you may probably never touch again. A game for a DS has resale value. I hate that I am locked into games for life on the mobile devices. You can find good deals for console games, watch for sales online and craigslist, and while these iPhone games are cheap, the price reflects longevity and replayability. And at the end of the day, if I decided that the iPod touch was not the gaming experiance for me or even if I continue to purchase better quality games(cause the games are rapidly getting better), I have 100's of dollars of worthless games tied to my name that'll never get played again.

19. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I disagree with that.

Gotta remember that, in terms of how the industry uses the term, the distinction between "core" gamers and "casual" gamers isn't really what type of games they play, but rather how many they buy.

I would also state that the distinction PSP offered in terms of being geared toward one type of consumer isn't "hardcore", but rather "console centric" gamers, particularly those who had never really owned a portable game system.

And that's where they made their mistake. PSP, because it attempts to bring the home console mentality into the portable game market, was bound to not sell as well as a product distinctly geared to the portable market like DS. There's a distinction between home consoles and portables (and a distinction between both of those and the PC, mobile - which includes iTouch/Phone btw, and arcade markets).

The portable market has always been geared toward lower dev costs, pick up and play sorts of games that needn't have the scope of home console games of that same gen because that's not what the market really wants. PSP tried to bring home console gaming to the portable market, and that led to higher dev costs (so devs kinda stopped developing for it, and some never did) and something of consumer apathy from portable centric consumers. And the high price (for a portable) didn't help either. Gotta hit that $149 price point at launch for a portable game system to sell really well. $249 intro price for PSP was almost nearly as bad as $599 for PS3. Sony priced themselves out of both markets, really.

But iTouch/Phone is over $149, you say?

Well, here's the thing:

iTouch/Phone isn't a portable game system. It isn't even in the portable game market. It's a mobile platform, not a dedicated game system. It's viable for gaming, yes, but it is a mobile platform, one not dedicated or primarily designed for game software. As a mobile platform it is to the portable game market as the PC platform is to the video game home console market: similar in terms of where and when it is played, but vastly different in terms of consumer base and developer viewpoint.

Mobile platforms, because they are designed to do so many things, are usually priced higher, just as PCs are typically priced higher than home consoles. And although you can game on the go on a mobile device as you can with a portable, and game at home on a PC as you can with home consoles, because they aren't geared toward running games above all else, there's a different control interface and design issues, and different consumer demands.

Put it to you this way:

There are games that some here on TA complain are "too hard", or "too slow starting" that wouldn't be thought of that way at all even on DS, which sells to a vast market of younger consumers (and PSP, btw, also sells to a slightly younger consumer base than the iTouch/Phone platform).

Why?

Because the vast majority of those DS owners...they expect to play their games slightly longer than mobile gaming consumers. They can take the time to endure a slower starting game (one that isn't immediately exciting). They can take the time to learn the game mechanics. In fact, they expect those things. Mobile consumers are the opposite. They want to grasp everything quickly, and they want immediate "oomph" because they usually only play for a few minutes at most at a time. Portable game consumers can be playing for upwards of a half hour to an hour. That's a different mindset.

And then there are those who didn't buy the mobile devices primarily for gaming but may pick up one or two games here and there. They're the ultra casual. And they don't really exist on the portables, even DS, because everyone who bought a DS, and, yes, a PSP, is primarily in the market for one thing: games.

20. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Wow, I love how responses on this forum are like mini-essays. I get lethargic just looking at them.

I gotta say, though, the AppStore game library sucks. It sucks. There is no denying it, it sucks. The amount of full games is under 30. There is nothing that I will sit down and willingly play for more than 15 minutes. Everything there. The hardware, SDK, everything there. But have any memorable games come out? Most of the good games are by Gameloft (yeah, they're good, but not that good), and the other cools ones would be considered mini-games on a DS or PSP. And a decent chunk of the few great games for the iDevices are ports. GoF? Port. Warfare Inc? Port. Everybody's trying to cash in and make a big buck. I mean, it's great that we have indy devs, but unless they're big and have a substantial budget, they can't give us that much. Bounce On is the only actual looong game I know. I loved my DS. If the games weren't $30 each (but the companies deserve them $30), I'd get a new one. I beat almost every frickin' game I had on that thing. I haven't beaten any on my iPod.