Is a DSI or PSP Worth it if I iPhone game?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Mencius, Apr 4, 2009.

?

What's Your Choice?

1. DSi

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. DS Lite

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. PSP

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  1. Mencius

Mencius Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Hi everyone,

First post on Touch Arcade, love the site, always keeps me up to date!

So, as background I used to play PC games quite a lot but recently my gaming PC broke down and I am also a lot busier than I used to be. Around the same time I got my iPhone and discovered the joys of iPhone gaming. I've been enjoying it so much in fact that it has reconnected me with the golden years of Game Boy gaming and got me really enjoying hand-held gaming.

All this got me thinking, well, maybe I'll just buy a workstation PC (or basic Mac) and perhaps use some of the spare money to buy a DSi or PSP. What do you all think? Is there any point buying one of these handhelds when I have an iPhone and game on it? Am I going to be gaining much? Should I just wait for iPhone games to keep evolving?

Thanks

2. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    I recently purchased a DS lite off craigslist for $50. There are some real quality games that are not available for iPhone. Gta, super mario (new classic and 64), metroid, zelda, advance wars, and the list goes on. Keep a lookout on Craigslist for games at cheap prices.

3. Mencius

Mencius Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Hmmm yeah if I could pick up one that cheap I suppose it'd be a no-brainer but I'm wondering whether I should get a DSi and I doubt many of those will be cheaply available...

Is there anything to be said in favour of the PSP or is the DS pretty much the winner this time around?

4. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    I have both a ds and psp. Ever since I got my iTouch and put games on that, the psp has gotten neglected. I had used the psp for music and videos but now I don't have to. Everything goes on the iTouch and there's plenty of room.

For games, I find the psp recent releases to be rather dull - a lot of ports and console adaptations which aren't necessarily suitable for portable/ on-the-move gaming. There are some original titles that are excellent but they seem to be getting scarce. DS games interest me more -- better puzzle and adventure titles overall imho -- so I still play on it often.

Whether or not you should get either one of these really depends if you have games in mind to play on them. No point getting a ds or psp and then finding out that none of the games available for them appeal to you -- now that would be a real waste.

5. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

If you are wanting DS games, then go buy a DS. If you want retro classics, such as NES, SNES, GB, and GBA, then you can get emulators on a jb'ed iPhone to allow that. But DS does offer quite a lot for the price, and has some great games. But the new DSi is the most desirable considering the fundamental way that it works now. The OTA downloads, and such.

6. brewstermax

What's an iTouch?

7. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    PSP has more teenager games

DSi has more childish games..

8. Yagami_Light

Yagami_Light Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    #8 Yagami_Light, Apr 4, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
    I have both systems (A DS, DS Lite, and PSP 1000). I think that the DS is definitely worth it. The PSP, on the other hand, is only really worth it if you are a Metal Gear fan (although if you were, you would already have it).

If you are getting one of these systems though, look at what you are getting. Remember that while the DSi does have the equivalent of an App Store, it DOES NOT have a GBA port, which means no GBA games, no Guitar Hero, downgraded experience when playing any Pokemon game, and no Rumble Pak (and a few Japanese only games that require the GBA port).

For the PSP, DO NOT BUY THE 2000 OR 3000 MODELS. They are downgraded systems that are awkwardly shaped, and have less features, and the 3000 can not be modded.

That is just wrong. The DS has more childish and "teenager" games, as well as adult games.

9. brewstermax

That may be your opinion. But it is not shared by many others who really appreciate games. PSP is crap, but the DS has many great games that are classics, and only get better. PSP has what?

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

What?

11. yourofl10

Dec 11, 2008
    I'll make my self more clear.

IN MY OPINION​

I think that the DS/DS Lite/DSi has more child friendly games....

PSP has more Teenager friendly games (like with blood etc...)
    Do u see my little ponies for PSP.......
    Barbie princes for PSP.............
    I havent

12. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

DSi has some adult games, GTACTW for example, still i would prefer my ds over my ipod game wise

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Does your opinion disregard the game libraries of each system or something?

14. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    I really wanted a psp for that big screen and wifi, but I tried looking for some games to pick up with it, and the only choice I had was which game to throw my money away on. I looked at the DS's while in the store, put the psp down, and had to keep myself from going bankrupt picking up quality games

15. yourofl10

Dec 11, 2008
    No.....
    Dang y do u people take like I'm gonna kill you guys if you dont agree with me Its a OPINION.........

Geez..... Chill out ppl.....

I respect u hodapp its just my 2 cents

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I don't think the distinction between a "teen" and "kid" game makes any difference if the game is fun. The PSP's game library is literally overflowing with poorly done ports and terrible action games which are downright hilarious when played on the PSP's screen that has worse ghosting than my first generation 800x600 LCD I bought in 1999. The best part? The "new" slim PSP's come with the same crappy screen that really gives the Sega Game Gear a run for its money when it comes to ghosting.

Unless you're planning on modding it and playing emulators (you know, if you're looking to spend $170+ to re-play Chrono Trigger for the 800th time.) there's really no reason to get a PSP. I camped overnight to buy a launch PSP, and I think I have less dust on my VCR than my PSP at this point.

I seriously wish I could figure out how Sony went from complete domination of the video game market with the PS2 to their $600 BluRay player and a handheld whose sales seem to be entirely dependent on people who are content playing a terrible game as long as it has blood in it.

Just for some perspective, the Wii balance board itself is nearly outselling the PS3 (source) and Nintendo has sold over twice as many DS's as PSP's (source).

If that isn't a clear indicator of which system has a better game library, I honestly don't know what is.

17. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I have a PSP1000, a DSlite, and a 32 gig iPod Touch 2G. I love them all, but ever since I got my touch, the only non-iPod game I have played is Chinatown Wars for the DS. That means in 6 months, I have just recently picked my DS back up, and my PSP is collecting dust. Yes, games like Patapon, Hot Shots Golf, Lumines (I and II), Crush, Wipeout, Jeanne D'arc, Space Invaders, Brave Story, LocoRoco, Ratchet and Clank, Final Fantasy, and GTA made me love my PSP, but I basically out-grew it. I used to play my PSP a lot more than my DS, but I found myself playing my DS more as I got a little older, and now I don't even touch my PSP and am probably going to sell it. I would say if you are going to get one, get a DSi, although I would be very happy with just an iPod Touch :)

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I think what draws me to the iPhone and DS over my PSP is how innovative most of the games are. If I'm going to play a 3D game with the regular old school controls the PSP offers like Ratchet and Clank or Wipeout, I'd rather just play a similar game on my 360. There's nothing the PSP offers that I can't get a better gameplay experience somewhere else. The list of "PSP" exclusives are also so laughable that they're hardly even worth mentioning.

Again, it's just amazing how Sony went from their console gaming dynasty with the PS2 to where they are today. When the DS first came out and the GameCube was floundering around in third place in the previous generation of consoles, I really was wondering if Nintendo was going to go the way of Sega.

Reversal of fortune!

19. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    i used to have a DS lite and PSP. I honestly, played my PSP way more then the DS. Why? i agree there are more quality persay titles on the DS, but the PSP had some great titles. Wipeout, patapon, loco roco, hotshots golf, and a few more. The DS had many good titles and only a couple great titles. But, i sold both my PSP and DS. Why?
    PSP reasoning: i refuse to own a console from a company like sony. They need better buisness managment. Console games were way to expensive also.
    DS reasoning: i hardly ever played it and if i did the only one i would play was madden 09. thats a crappy port to.

And like yourofl said, i disagree with.
    the PSP is geared toward more HARDCORE audiences and the DS CASUAL.
    notice i said geared.
    anyways, to answer the question, the DSi is, in my opinion, a crappy way for nintendo to try to take a spot they are not. Like said, DS=more casual. now whe you add in crappy camereas and an online store, you are gearing towards more multi-media non-casual.
    Although, the camereas could be used for a good purpose though. like move your hands in front of the camerea to catch a ball.
    in my humble but accurate opinion, i say get the DS lite. not the PSP or DSi

20. yourofl10

Dec 11, 2008

Thats what I mean to.....
    Plus PSP has better graphics. (IN MY OPINION)
    Dang I'm to scared to say my own opinion around here...............
    People get ticked off at yea..............