Universal Iron Marines (By Ironhide)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Sep 13, 2017.

1. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    OK. Bought. Thank you for the clarification. ;)

2. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    #102 anthony78, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    I guess this is where I have an issue with what I’ve played so far. I think I’ve seen an average of about 200 per level.

This isn’t a JRPG so I wasn’t expecting a ton of “grinding”. I realize there was some in their previous games but it seems more required in this game.

Grinding levels isn’t a few minutes of work. Levels can last 30 minutes — and I have a feeling that gets even longer as you get further — is not practical for some of us. Then if you fail, you get less.

I donno maybe I’m in the minority but it just feels way more grindy than I had hoped and the larger emphasis on IAP currency and watching ads to earn more currency adds to that offputting nature.

Yes, $5 isn’t a lot but I would have preferred to pay even $9.99 for a game that feels more premium than worry about endless grinding or IAPs or ad watching.

And despite some RTS experience, I’m playing on easy and still feel a pinch.

3. xmonalisax

xmonalisax Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Says start with premium heroes if u play before September 15. But premium heroes are in-app. How will it be?

4. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    You get one free premium hero, Fate, if you buy by the 15th. Guessing that will go to $2.99 or something after that date.

5. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    If you're getting stuck on a level you just need to change your strategy. Every level is beatable without using any of the special power-ups, those are really just for people who want to brute force their way past a level because they don't want to figure out how to actually beat it. That's how the Kingdom Rush games are too. Yes, the levels can go on for a long time, and you might spend 20 minutes playing only to find that what you're trying didn't work and you'll have to star over with a different tactic. But that's the point of real-time strategy games. If you'd just blow through everything first try then what is the point of even playing.

6. xmonalisax

xmonalisax Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Thanks. I thought we will buy an in-app hero free. For me Paragon is more premium hero then. It is stronger and better than Fate. I made Paragon 9th level.

7. shaymon

shaymon Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2013
    I am in your boat. I really enjoy grinding lower levels for currency Unlike a lot of games, if you beat a level you have completed already you get squat for currency. But in IM, you still get a ton. I replay that side mission that opens up after about level 3 and get tons of cash. And it takes only a few minutes and you can nearly auto through it.

I am digging all the upgrades as well. More stuff to unlock the better for me. So far I am really enjoying it. I do see what some others have issues with though.

One other thing I like is the power ups. I like how some will last an entire level vs just a drop and it's done. Pretty cool :)

8. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Many crashes in iPad Pro 9,7 in third stage. Maybe due to many enemies? I don't know...

9. ttcool

ttcool Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2016
    This is a killer game for sure! I don't mind grinding, but have you played the Special Ops?!?! Tried several times but I only got to the 2nd stage and got hammered with enemies. Has anyone gotten passed the first Special Ops? Tips would be appreciated!

10. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    I'm really struggling with this. I wanted to love it but it's just not clicking with me at all but I think this may be down to a combination of my ineptitude and a shit tutorial.

I'm really not entirely sure what I'm doing, I've done the first three missions but even the second I kind of felt out of my depth in, in the fact that I wasn't entirely sure what to do but muddled through anyway.

The third mission when you get your hero I've played three times now just to try and work out a bit more what I was doing and it be kind of worked out how one of the skills works but I'm struggling with the other. I had a point where a load of automatic guns fell from the sky which seemed to happen randomly and then when my hero died I couldn't put him back down where I wanted to....

Anyway, leaving aside the fact that I don't know what I'm doing it's a very nice looking thing and I suspect a very good game if you're better than me!

The iap seems very similar to the KR games and I managed to finish all those without paying anything extra, so while I'd rather it wasn't there - that's life and I'll live with it.

I'm off to google a how to video and see if I can get into it in the morning.

11. shaymon

Sep 3, 2013
    Ttcool- pretty sure the level I farm is the first special ops. I just leave hero where he starts and drop the turret deal down every time right next to him.

Remember- you can port your hero anywhere on the map by clicking that icon above his head.

My only gripe is how they don't allow you to restore purchases. Kinda of a bummer as I have to buy the heroes multiple times on my kid's devices.

12. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    I mean, do any of us actually know this for sure? Has anybody here actually beaten this game without using any premium heroes or IAPs and spamming advertisement bonuses all day long in a game with an up front cost? I'm hoping somebody will come back having successfully completed the campaign without further purchases and not having stories about how they had to grind out 15 minute levels a hundred times just to do it. Thanks in advance.

13. shaymon

Sep 3, 2013
    #113 shaymon, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    PSA- if you have other family members playing the game do not use the icloud backup. It doesn't even give you an option to say no. It told me I had a better save file. Yes, it actually said better. The only option was OK. I should have tried to force quit but I didn't. I lost all my progress and it copied my son's progress over. Hours of play gone :(. It did keep all my heroes exp though. Really deflated my ambition but I spose the game is fun enough to redo it all.

Most people may know this already but I didn't and there may be others so be careful :)

Edit- we use separate gamecenter logins too.

14. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    To me this game is basically a reverse kingdom rush! Dev makes use of the success formula and do a 180 turn on a game we so accustomed to.
    The touch and drag formula works very well. To me in such game if the controls work well you have the winning game. Same as cat quest.
    Good job!

15. Spartyfan6262

Spartyfan6262 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Maybe I'm really bad at these types of games, but I'm struggling to complete the second mission. I can get my hero to the comm tower but get overwhelmed by way too many enemies. Any tips??

16. matyou98

matyou98 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2012
    Hope this is a bug. Universal app/iCloud makes zero sense of the heroes don't transfer over. Definitely holding off on any iap for this exact reason. Bought hero packs in a special deal from the kingdom rush games and was planning on getting some heroes for this one as well. Will hold off until/unless this is corrected.

17. scottsoapbox

scottsoapbox Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

I am enjoying this game but why are some of the hero's $8 and others $3? Just curious really.

18. Birth1118

Birth1118 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Auditor
    MA, US
    You've tried the dropguns/canons yet? I find them quite powerful. And the cooldown period is pretty short. I'd just teleport the hero around and make use of those dropguns to eliminate enemies as early as they emerge.

All my tech points are invested in dropguns and snipers btw. Worked pretty well for me until the late boss fights, which need a whole new strategy and a bit of luck.

19. iosuser

iosuser Active Member

Aug 21, 2013
    I kind of regret buying the game. I trusted them based on the Kingdom Rush games, though the last one went toward freemium; however, this game is like a paid FTP game! I don't care about the extra, optional heroes you can buy, I'm talking about game balance issues. When you start having $4.99 "starter packs", $99.99 whale packs, or the watch ads crap, I start thinking, especially on the difficulty spike from level 3 to level 4, they are trying to push you to buy consumables. Yes, there are going to be players that can get through without spending gold on bombs, etc. but I believe most will have to seriously grind or watch ads or pay more money to progress. $5 is not a lot of money but the point is the game's difficulty is tilted toward guiding the player to IAP's, which is very disappointing.

20. Birth1118

Birth1118 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Auditor
    MA, US
    I finished all missions including the spec ops of the first world last night on normal difficulty with Kara at level 7. Tried the boss fight a few times on veteran. Did not beat it until level 8.

I guess it's safe to say that the power-ups are entirely unnecessary. I currently have 4K+ gold currency, never bothered to make use of it. Also beating a level rewards so much more that watching an ad. My tech points are invested almost exclusively in dropgun and sniper abilities, which are pretty early ones. So I don't think grinding and unlocking late abilities would benefit me significantly. As for IAP heros, I tried Fate for a few levels, doesn't really fit my strategy. Itching to play the other heroes though.