Universal Iron Marines (By Ironhide)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Sep 13, 2017.

1. applecat500

applecat500 Active Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Last KR (I think it was) was really tough to complete/3 Star without IAP and it seemed pushy in that way, makes me wary to get this as it was disappointing/frustrating.

2. Tychaeus

Tychaeus Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Uh...uh...like....huh?

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Been playing it a lot and for $5 its well worth picking up to support the devs. Seems like there'll be more content soon, 'so far' i havent come across a paywall or anything. As its a premium priced game i'm hoping the IAP's are just for people to progress quicker than normal.

But well worth picking up

4. PraetorianX

PraetorianX Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    It's a bit weird, but you only need gold , if you are planning to buy power ups. That's about it. And you can play the entire game without ever using those.

5. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    #85 Quoad, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Speaking as a respectable post-doctoral academic: after rent, tax, and nursery are paid for, that's literally 20% of my monthly income (for food, petrol, gym, travel, clothing, apps) in one IAP.

I don't know what this says about those who do buy IAPs, and what their incomes, lives, and priorities look like. But, if that's "top sellers" in terms of prevalence rather than % of gross income, then I'm inclined to think that the population of people who buy IAPs bear little or no resemblance to normal populations of normal human beings.

6. Jinxtah

Jinxtah Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2017
    How long is the game? Someone in the impressions news post said 8 hours but I'm guessing he just took a random number and slung it at the screen. Can anyone confirm the length ?

7. Mojo0070

Mojo0070 Active Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Is their any multiplayer online?

8. KeKhan

KeKhan Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Someone mentioned an endless mode that is eventually unlocked -
    Can anyone confirm?

9. Birth1118

Birth1118 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Auditor
    MA, US
    Amazing game! I thought it would be another Kingdom Rush in Warhammer-like settings. But it's well beyond my expectation.

Its graphic is one of the best you might find on a tablet. Gameplay-wise, it's more like Dawn of War or Battle Heart than KR. Micro managing of your troops, the timing and distances are key to winning on a higher difficulty. The base/mine and towers offer some upgrades and diversifications. The tech-tree and the mobile units really add to the element of strategy.

But where it really shines is that the resources have to be tracked and used strategically. That and the missions on each level and the hero you choose, are gonna have a huge impact on the gameplay experience. It reminds me of the good old days playing Warcraft where I had to scout, collect, build and then rush, hit and run or accumulate forces for a single big battle. It really depends on which style you like.

Thanks to the developers for such great work.

10. RazvanClau

RazvanClau Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I've played seven out of the first eight missions so far.

It makes sense, the way it is built. While I can't say it is extraordinary, it is the first RTS that makes sense on a tablet (apart from XCOM, but that doesn't count). The problem is that I have no intention to grind in order to unlock everything and level up all the heroes and this is the biggest problem with the game. There are tens or even hundreds of upgrades and there are about 20 missions currently available + the special missions. You would have to grind really hard to unlock everything. Also, if you want to level up a new hero, well, you need to work at it. As far as I know, the XP is not shared.

Difficulty wise, it is somewhere in the middle. I'm playing on normal (medium difficulty setting) and I've lost two or three times, always because I've reached a critical point of the mission and I was not prepared to defend. I can't say that you need to pay for anything in this game because honestly, using common sense (combining troops to support each other) works every time.

It is $5 USD well spent. Using this control scheme, we could have something like Starcraft on an iPad no problem.

As far as IAPs go, you have two options.

The first one is for the heroes. I'm using the default one even if I've got a premium hero for buying the game early. The last one is kind of a cheat and it is the most expensive one (I think $5). The second IAP is for good and gold can be used only for consumables. Of course you can do this and use them as cheats but honestly, I don't see the need.

11. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    So in other words, this game worth buying it? I have been confused regarding the IAPs. I really liked all Kingdom Rush games but if I have to play dozens of hours in order to boost upgrades, heroes, etc to clear all levels, then this game is f2p in the shell of premium.

12. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #92 JCho133, Sep 14, 2017
    This is great... another good RTS has been a long time coming for iOS.

Shoutout to anyone that was here for Command & Conquer Red Alert for iOS

13. Jinxtah

Mar 27, 2017
    I've started the campaign, and I'm a little confused about command points. The red ones you use to buy units with. There's not any counter or number on the hud that displays the red points, so I never know when I can afford more units. What's the deal with that? Do I really just need to keep checking, and how do I earn the points in the first place?

14. Pencil

Pencil Member

Sep 14, 2017
    What do you mean red command points? I only have blue ones...

15. Jinxtah

Mar 27, 2017
    The ones you use to build units.

16. Pencil

Pencil Member

Sep 14, 2017
    #96 Pencil, Sep 14, 2017
    Left number indicates how many command points are being occupied(units), and right number indicates your command point max. You capture command points lying around the map. Haven't seen any red command points yet.

Attached Files:

17. SugaDaddy

SugaDaddy New Member

Oct 14, 2016
    I have really mixed feelings about this game. On one hand it is a starcraft lite. On the other hand there are too many upgrades, which require a ton of points to acquire. Considering the ammount of point needed and the fact that a level could last 10-15 minutes, this game requires too much grinding, and feels very much like a f2p game, although it is not. I am stucked on level 8, and later levels all had these DPS check boss fights or mechanisms, so you need those upgrades. The levels have a lot of empty run, where you just wait for the money to collect to buy the next upgrade/unit to progress. Failing a level gives you about the tenth of the original points, and since the levels take too long, my eagerness quickly subsided.
    This game has serious balance issues.

18. Jinxtah

Mar 27, 2017
    I might have missed something. You know when you go to build a unit and the number is red when you can't build a unit. I mistook that for it being perma red.

19. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Anyone?

20. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    #100 L.Lawliet, Sep 14, 2017
    I'm not having those issues because the upgrade points come quite easily if you beat levels. Why not play the earlier levels again? I get like 300+ for most levels and that's a pretty good amount. And at the same time you can level your favorite hero.

I've actually seen a lot of complaints here about people not liking all the upgrades. I love it because there's a lot to unlock. To me that's better than beating the first two worlds and unlocking everything in one go. Then all that's left would be to max out heros. And I'm damn sure you don't need all of the upgrade tree to beat the game. Ironhide is giving you more to do instead of beating the game and being done with it. Their games always had unique features that made them stand out from other games (then people would copy them) so don't expect them to not change things up. In rpgs there are skills / abilities unlocked at very high levels but you don't absolutely need them. Just like this game. More for you to get if you want to. The skill tree mechanic is already rpg-lite.

I'm actually liking this mechanic imo because I want there to be more stuff to do instead of just going straight through each level and beating the game. I guess It's my rpg style since generally you can't go through rpgs without doing a bit of side work.