Universal Iron Man 3 - The Official Game - (by Gameloft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Overreacting aside, this game is definitely great, but marred much by the timers. So far, the timers didnt really stop me from playing, but it does break the momentum when im "on fire". Played about 3 hours and no wait times for more than a minute so far.

And the game's been decent on giving out ISO-8 (secondary currency).

Still, the timers are a nuisance in a runner game. I like the game a lot, so imma keep at this til something ingame stops me from playing it.

I can see having a few armors unlocked and built will render timers negligible later on, so fingers crossed i am right about that.

2. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Thanks for honest imps, not just "Freemium! Evil!"

3. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I'm not going to download this because it is 1GB installed, it has ridiculous IAP, and it has friggin' TIMERS! Why the heck would I free up a couple gigs on my iPhone to put something on it that will just make me wait to play. Then in a year the server that hosts all the IAP will go down and the game will bow out.

Gameloft, I would have paid $5 for this endless flyer had it been 500mb or less, NOT hindered by timers, and not hindered by timers. You might want to rethink your new business model. Otherwise, I'll just continue to not buy your games.

PS. The Dark Knight Rises was an awesome release and I paid for it happily.

4. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Man, you got THAT right! There's always someone who'll take things the wrong way! Since you can't hear the tone, I guess it's easy to happen, right?! Always gonna happen, then you see yourself defending past statements!! :D

5. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    One-star-rate. Period. Byebye Lameloft.

6. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Yep, tis the gospel truth mate.

7. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    QFT!

I normally wouldn't care because a) I do not play endless runners, and b) I refuse to support freemium models based upon consumable IAPs or pay-walls (timers are exactly that).

That said, "First they came for ..". The only power you people have is to 1 star rate on the App Store with your justifications and hope that you can make some in-roads on those gamers who are still weeded to the arcade model.

8. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    This ^ So true, great game but with timers. Still going to keep playing as well.

9. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    I'm completely puzzled by the file size of the game. I'm guessing its from retina assets for the iPad 4, cause the resolution and edges are terrible on the iPad 3. From what I've seen there isn't a lot of variety either. The file size to game content is WAY off and not really worth the space.

10. Elixir

Elixir Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Canada.
    Agreed. I actually liked the iap system in asphalt7, it isn't needed at all.
    Timers, on an and less runner? This isn't even possible.
    Why would you even bother opening the app with timers, then closing it for the sake of ram?
    On another note, asphalt8 and mc5 better not have timers. Just let them be premium, please...
    It costs more to enjoy freemium models..

11. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    I obviously hate the timers but I'm really enjoying this game. And I've been sick of runners for awhile.

12. Smartbomb

Smartbomb Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Artist
    England
    I just can't stand it when a developer doesn't charge for a game without iAPs...

13. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    #73 kioshi, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
    Pocketgamer said the missiles are kinda hard to avoid, hard to see where they're going. I'm finding the same thing after a few plays. Anyone else?

Btw I got the second armor and the timers don't seem to get in the way already. I unlocked the third one (50 gems I think, you get 160 at the start) but the cost to build it is a very steep 7000 red coins (the non IAP currency). I guess the others will be extremely expensive.

14. Elixir

Elixir Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Canada.
    Can you explain how the timers work? Is it based on # of runs started?

15. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Those arent bad.

You're missing what's bad with your current progress. The 4th armor SLOT (yes slot not the armor yet) needs to be unlocked with ISO-8 ONLY. Imaging how many ISO-8s will be needed to unlock everything.

I love the game, and i will play this til i unlock everything, but the only ways to unlock every armor (which is this game's ultimate objective for me) is either a killer grind, or IAP.

Since this is a free game, i will see how much $10 will take me... $10, because i have grown to love the game.

Timers are negligible (especially when you have at least 3 armors), but the grind is going to be hard. To be honest, im not sure why they even implemented timers here... It's just a way to piss people off and invite some low-ratings.

Sure the timers to build armors are longer (23 mins for Mk II) and i imagine it will be longer for higher level armors, but you can still keep on playing with other armors you already have.

Oh... one more thing i like about the game.. The daily missions, which happens once a day, which unlocks a part of the story bit by bit, which involves fighting bosses...

... And killing my first Crimson Dynamo just felt satisfying, albeit short and quick.

16. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    am i the only one who thought of sin & punishment when watching the trailer?

i think i'll at least give this one a shot. the timers in RR3 didn't (and still don't!) bother me, so maybe this will be okay.

17. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    No. I only have two armors, but when I had only one, I had to wait like 20 seconds for it to repair so I could start a new game. Each armor has 3 attributes that you can upgrade (HP, weapon, special iirc) and in each upgrade I had to wait 10 seconds (or pay 1 gem, or ISO-8 like Psience said, well the IAP currency, I'll call them gems lol).

Getting the second armor is easy and fast so I can play with the second one while repairing or upgrading the first one for example and when I'm done I can go back to the other armor.

But as Psience said, there are armors unlockable only via IAP currency (you get 15 gems for the daily mission and 1 when you gain a level) and according to his post, some armor take 30 minutes or so to build.

18. skeblik

skeblik Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Downloading now, but I doubt it will be worth the 614 mb.

19. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    GET RID OF THE TIMERS.

I WILL PAY $1 IF THAT'S WHAT IT TAKES FOR GAMELOFT TO DROP TIMERS IN GAMES THAT WOULD BE FREEMIUM.

Assuming of course, that's what we'd need to invest. I'd gladly drop $3 if I could get the game as it is, but avoid the ridiculous restrictions stuff like DH4 and this game set.

[​IMG]

20. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Game Impressions

H o t g a r b a g e.